Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2018, 02:10 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I had owned my K-3 for at least a couple of years before I stumbled across a confirmed case of shutter shake, using the Sigma 18-300 at the wide end as I mentioned in an earlier response. At first I was rather annoyed, then just a little bemused, but once I knew how to work around it, I just accepted it as "one of those things".
I do the same with my K-3 + Sigma 18-300. If I'm shooting at the wide end, I keep my shutter speed up (and, in my case, switch off SR). It's a little frustrating to have to do this, but I've formed a habit now
I understand what you mean and agree to some extent. However, I got the 28-105 so I could replace the 16-85 and stop having to switch between APS-C and FF on the K-1 (I have a modified 60-250 and it's annoying to have to switch). Plus when I hand my camera to someone else, I keep having to explain about the black rectangle in the viewfinder. First-world problems, but there you are. Plus the 28-105 gives me a nicer reach (coupled with the FA20-35) and a smaller package.

One thing I've just thought about. When comparing to the 16-85, I compared at the same focal length, but to be fair regarding my expectations I should compare for the same field of view. That would give me a more accurate comparison.

11-28-2018, 02:12 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Even so, I still think there's a possibility that this is shutter shake related. I'd try taking some shots at 28mm using a shutter speed above 1/200s (well above, if lighting allows) and see if you get better results.
I'll try to do that, light allowing. And try ES. Cranking up the ISO won't help as it will decrease the perceived sharpness and render the test moot.
11-28-2018, 02:45 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Shoot your test shots with [direct] flash.

This helps ensure you are simply testing focus and sharpness, not exposure, shutter shake etc etc.
11-29-2018, 06:14 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
So yesterday evening I tried more tests. There was no way I could keep ISO low and get exposure times faster than 1/200, so I went the other way around and used exposure times of 1.6 seconds...

I compared LV, LV with 2 seconds timer, ES, ES with two seconds timer, OVF, OVF with two seconds timer. At 50mm and with a subject about 75cm in front of the camera. There was no visible difference between any of these images, after I made another pass at adjusting the AF with a newly printed target.

Then I did use a HSS PTTL flash and tried to get faster shutter speeds. I tested at around 1/400. Again, no visible differences between LV and OVF.

Last test step will be when we see through those clouds, maybe tomorrow. It's been a gray week.

11-29-2018, 06:26 AM   #20
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
So yesterday evening I tried more tests. There was no way I could keep ISO low and get exposure times faster than 1/200, so I went the other way around and used exposure times of 1.6 seconds...

I compared LV, LV with 2 seconds timer, ES, ES with two seconds timer, OVF, OVF with two seconds timer. At 50mm and with a subject about 75cm in front of the camera. There was no visible difference between any of these images, after I made another pass at adjusting the AF with a newly printed target.

Then I did use a HSS PTTL flash and tried to get faster shutter speeds. I tested at around 1/400. Again, no visible differences between LV and OVF.

Last test step will be when we see through those clouds, maybe tomorrow. It's been a gray week.
Shutter shake problems don't usually manifest themselves - at least, not equally - across all focal lengths, based on my own experience and reports from others using your camera + lens combo. For instance, with my K-3 + Sigma 18-300, I only see the issue at the wide end.

Since 28mm is where you noticed most softness, personally I'd use that focal length for the tests.
11-29-2018, 09:04 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Doesn't seem as sharp as mine and I didn't do anything regarding shutter shock or af adjustment. Maybe just got lucky.
12-05-2018, 06:16 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
After a long time (sorry, had to deal with my son's sickness over the week-end) I've run other controlled tests, all at 28.., all on a tripod. Here's the center crop, where I focused. Flash test shots were done at 1/50s, so well within the reported speed range for shutter shock. Flash at HSS was at 1/320 so outside the reported range. Images without flash were shot at 1.6s exposure time.

28-105 LV

28-105 LV 2 seconds

28-105 ES

28-105 ES 2 seconds

28-105 OVF

28-105 OVF 2 seconds

16-85 LV

16-85 LV 2 seconds

16-85 ES

16-85 ES 2 seconds

16-85 OVF

16-85 OVF 2 seconds

28-105 flash LV

28-105 flash LV 2 seconds

28-105 flash OVF

28-105 flash OVF 2 seconds

28-105 flash HSS OVF

28-105 flash HSS OVF 2 seconds

12-05-2018, 07:11 PM - 1 Like   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Flash test shots were done at 1/50s, so well within the reported speed range for shutter shock.
But that's with ambient light, Bernard.

A scene lit only with flash exposes the sensor for about 1/1000s, regardless of shutter speed selection. The camera can be shaking violently afterwards, but that won't be recorded.

A photo of a golf ball leaving the club or whatever, they can leave the shutter open for ten seconds, it's all about the strobe's duration.
12-06-2018, 06:08 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
But that's with ambient light, Bernard.

A scene lit only with flash exposes the sensor for about 1/1000s, regardless of shutter speed selection. The camera can be shaking violently afterwards, but that won't be recorded.

A photo of a golf ball leaving the club or whatever, they can leave the shutter open for ten seconds, it's all about the strobe's duration.
Your point is that I did not record 1/50s of actual exposure? You do have a point. Potential shutter shock is a new thing for me, I'm still wrapping my head around it.

Believe it or not, for the last two weeks we have had absolutely no sunlit days. It's always been cloudy and gloomy. In november in my region, that means low shutter speeds outside, so I've relied on the flash to get more light. A mistake if I understand you correctly.

I could duplicate the test by using all the lamps I've got at home (all the incandescent ones, at least, with broad emission spectra) to try and raise the esposure to around 1/50 without flash.

In any case, looking at the results above, the flash pictures appear to be the worst ones.
12-06-2018, 08:50 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Your point is that I did not record 1/50s of actual exposure? You do have a point. Potential shutter shock is a new thing for me, I'm still wrapping my head around it.
He is correct. If flash is your main source of light it cannot be affected by shutter shock.