Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2019, 03:43 AM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

For most of the past decade I've been working out of a rucksack (mountain guide and then park ranger) and unless you simply must have 15mm instead of 18.3mm, there is no way I would swap a GR for a K3 + 15mm Ltd for hiking.

Your giving up one of the best wide angle lenses ever made, and adding 750g to your pack for the privilege.

11-30-2019, 05:43 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
For most of the past decade I've been working out of a rucksack (mountain guide and then park ranger) and unless you simply must have 15mm instead of 18.3mm, there is no way I would swap a GR for a K3 + 15mm Ltd for hiking.

Your giving up one of the best wide angle lenses ever made, and adding 750g to your pack for the privilege.
I guess it would depend on if other lenses were in the mix but your point about weight is rather on the money.
12-08-2019, 10:23 PM   #33
Pentaxian

One thing I learned from my 3 (yes three copies, replaced twice after accidents) is that the retractable hood is very fragile. Any sort of drop will likely bend the hood and jam the lens. Another point of weakness is the focus ring, because the hood leaves a gap between the focusing element and the focus ring, any drop will damage the ring and mostly likely again jamming the lens. Fortunately the prices have gone down enough that I replaced them for less than the repair cost...but I learned that the DA 15mm is a lens I have to baby. Considering I have already replaced it twice...that tells you how much I love the images from it.