Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2008, 08:28 PM   #16
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank You

Big thanks to all who replied here and took the time to post pics. Much appreciated ...

Someone asked what kind of sport I'm shooting .... it's soccer .... in high school stadiums.

From what I'm reading, it looks like I need two lenses:

1) I need something like a 70-300mm, which gets me up close during day games.

2) I need an F2.8 lens, for night games, and I probably need to settle for 200mm at most (because anything F2.8 and greater than 200mm is pricey).

If anyone thinks I've got this wrong, let me know. And thanks again for the advice.

ctm

09-28-2008, 09:09 PM   #17

Soccer can be tough. With a shorter lens you will be limited.

But the better you know the game the more you can make this work. With a shorter lens you will need to run up and down the sidelines. You can also wait around the goal area and shoot corner kicks etc. A shorter lens will give you fewer opportunities but its still doable.

But it all comes to working with what you have, knowing the game, and anticipating the best opportunities...

Experiment with fill flash as well...

Max
09-29-2008, 12:28 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you get a 70-200/2.8, you can also get a 1.4x TC, giving you a 100-280/f4, which is okay fror some stadia and gets you the extra reach, and is certainly okay for daytime.
09-29-2008, 11:03 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Charles,

You may also want to look into some tutorials on sports photography. Sometimes technique can get you good shots with less-than-pro gear. (It's been written that you can tell serious sports photographers by their lack of interest in the price of equipment. It's all expensive, they need it, and now we've reached the end of the decision-making process.)

Without their budget, you might try:

Thinking seriously about the sport and anticipating moments that have an action look but in which the players are not in full motion, e.g., at the end of some movement.

Finding moments and shots in which some blur adds to the shot, e.g., defensive player (baseball) is stretched toward the incoming throw (somewhat still) but the runner is moving very fast (here's the blur). I expect that most any sport has a few of these.

Noting that players running directly toward or away from you don't necessarily demand as fast a shutter speed as those moving laterally.

Practicing panning. A lot. For a long time.

Thinking about optical image stabilization. I don't know much about photography but several posters have suggested that OIS should be off when panning. Is it really that simple, everyone?

I know you asked about lenses but, as usual, there are often multiple ways to get stuff done.

Anyone else want to add to this list?