Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2018, 10:13 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Reason for Takumar vs K 135mm F2.5 price difference?

Why is the SMC Takumar 135mm f2.5 (6 element) costlier than the SMC Pentax 135mm f2.5? In mint condition the Takumar commands a 40-50$ premium over the SMC Pentax. What is the reason? Isn't newer generation lenses supposed to be better than their older kin even by a hair? Better coatings, better contrast, better bokeh, more sharness. What's the reason? Or is the Takumar that much good. That it commands such a premium. Please let me know. Thank you in advance.

11-29-2018, 01:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Pentax just got this one right on the true 6 element , 8 bladed Takumar version (model ending in xxx12). I own and use both ...and yes ... I grab the Tak every time !
The SMC-K version is still a fantastic lens , and gives nothing to the takumar version except that Classy look and Tank Like build.
I haven't done a direct comparison , so maybe a shootout is in order.
Also to mention is the Canon shooters were after this lens for a while too....that obviously drives the used market .

Last edited by Ronald Oakes; 11-29-2018 at 02:04 AM.
11-29-2018, 01:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

There are a number of factors that can influence price:

- Initial pricing (RRP)
- Rarity due to limited years of production, fewer sales
- Condition
- Fitting

What you'll find is that the Takumar is more expensive as it has an almost universally adaptable M42 fit, making it great for all brand of cameras. It's also rarer due to being available for a shorter period of time. It's also got the cult status for the 6 element redesign over the previous 5 element design. And lastly it's just a beautiful combination of design and substance which impresses even today. The K135/2.5 has a rubber focus ring and maybe the more durable design but the Takumar oozes class.
11-29-2018, 02:08 AM - 1 Like   #4
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K135/2.5 is the same optical formula as the 6-element Takumar 135/2.5. Both are SMC. Optically they are identical. But, as others have observed, while both the K version and the M42 Takumar may be adapted to other systems, the M42 mount may be more attractive to non-Pentax shooters. As @HarisF1 points out, the Takumar oozes class.

I have the K version. It cost me about half what a Takumar would have and was virtually mint. For what it's worth, there is a test of the K version here:
Pentax SMC-K 135mm f/2.5 - Review / Lab Test Report - Analysis

11-29-2018, 02:14 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SunnyG. Quote
Why is the SMC Takumar 135mm f2.5 (6 element) costlier than the SMC Pentax 135mm f2.5? In mint condition the Takumar commands a 40-50$ premium over the SMC Pentax. What is the reason? Isn't newer generation lenses supposed to be better than their older kin even by a hair? Better coatings, better contrast, better bokeh, more sharness. What's the reason? Or is the Takumar that much good. That it commands such a premium. Please let me know. Thank you in advance.
That used to be the other way around. I guess m42 is more popular among mirrorless shooters who are driving up the price. Although it is very easy to adapt K-mount to mirrorless.
11-29-2018, 02:51 AM   #6
Pentaxian

It's easier to adapt m42 to Canon. Lots of K mount lenses screw up their mirrors.
11-29-2018, 03:01 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
Pentax just got this one right on the true 6 element , 8 bladed Takumar version (model ending in xxx12). I own and use both ...and yes ... I grab the Tak every time !
The SMC-K version is still a fantastic lens , and gives nothing to the takumar version except that Classy look and Tank Like build.
I haven't done a direct comparison , so maybe a shootout is in order.
Also to mention is the Canon shooters were after this lens for a while too....that obviously drives the used market .
It seems we are in dire need of a shoot out. At every aperture possible. A comprehensive side by side comparison.

11-29-2018, 03:02 AM   #8
Pentaxian

It seems we are in dire need of a shoot out. At every aperture possible. A comprehensive side by side comparison.
Should throw the Takumar bayonet 2.5 in there too for the bargain bin underdog.
11-29-2018, 03:12 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HarisF1 Quote
There are a number of factors that can influence price:

- Initial pricing (RRP)
- Rarity due to limited years of production, fewer sales
- Condition
- Fitting

What you'll find is that the Takumar is more expensive as it has an almost universally adaptable M42 fit, making it great for all brand of cameras. It's also rarer due to being available for a shorter period of time. It's also got the cult status for the 6 element redesign over the previous 5 element design. And lastly it's just a beautiful combination of design and substance which impresses even today. The K135/2.5 has a rubber focus ring and maybe the more durable design but the Takumar oozes class.
Yes it's Damn good looking! I guess looks do matter!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D300  Photo 
11-29-2018, 03:14 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Should throw the Takumar bayonet 2.5 in there too for the bargain bin underdog.
ROFLOL.....Actually the Bayonet version is quite good in spite of its $25 price tag. I could live with it if nothing else was available.

---------- Post added 11-29-18 at 04:15 ----------

Ohhhh….Yesss….They absolutely DO matter !
11-29-2018, 03:18 AM   #11
Pentaxian

ROFLOL.....Actually the Bayonet version is quite good in spite of its $25 price tag. I could live with it if nothing else was available.[COLOR="Silver"]
Yah I rather like mine. I haven't felt super compelled to get the other legacy 135s because of it. I do want the Samyang though.
11-29-2018, 03:21 AM   #12
Veteran Member

It's easier to adapt m42 to Canon. Lots of K mount lenses screw up their mirrors.
I can just picture this Beauty of a Lens....Ingloriously Perched on the Snout of some Canonnista's hunk of plastc….
11-29-2018, 03:22 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
The K135/2.5 is the same optical formula as the 6-element Takumar 135/2.5. Both are SMC. Optically they are identical. But, as others have observed, while both the K version and the M42 Takumar may be adapted to other systems, the M42 mount may be more attractive to non-Pentax shooters. As @HarisF1 points out, the Takumar oozes class.

I have the K version. It cost me about half what a Takumar would have and was virtually mint. For what it's worth, there is a test of the K version here:
Pentax SMC-K 135mm f/2.5 - Review / Lab Test Report - Analysis
I was eyeing the k135. Until I saw the tak and fell in love ������

Last edited by SunnyG.; 11-29-2018 at 03:33 AM.
11-29-2018, 03:38 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
ROFLOL.....Actually the Bayonet version is quite good in spite of its $25 price tag. I could live with it if nothing else was available.

---------- Post added 11-29-18 at 04:15 ----------

Ohhhh….Yesss….They absolutely DO matter !
What about this ?

---------- Post added 11-29-18 at 03:40 AM ----------

Yah I rather like mine. I haven't felt super compelled to get the other legacy 135s because of it. I do want the Samyang though.
Maybe you should try the Jupiter 11A. I think you will be really pleased, you tried it. It's f4. But a lens worth having!

---------- Post added 11-29-18 at 03:42 AM ----------

I can just picture this Beauty of a Lens....Ingloriously Perched on the Snout of some Canonnista's hunk of plastc….
Hahahahaha you have wild imagination 😂😂😂
Attached Images

11-29-2018, 04:45 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I see an old Tak like that and am torn by conflicting emotions. On the one hand it's beautiful and fills me with desire. On the other hand it fills me with sadness because it's been left in a case unused for decades. Glad it's being appreciated but even happier to hear that it's getting used.