Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2018, 04:27 PM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I think there are some Sigma's that were available in k-mount that are no longer in production which were also IF Macro's.

I don't really understand the need for this although I do like IF lenses. I don't think I own any, they just always seem nice the few times I've handled them.

Not to be exclusionary but it sounds like you're better off staying with Nikon OR you need to rethink your requirements.

I'm using a "Film Toaster" so the camera rests on a box vertically while macro focusing on a piece of film. It's probably not great to have the focus motor lifting and lowering the camera if the "front standard" of the lens must move in and out. I think there may be a solution around this but I'll still doing some research. So far it's been easy to AF each shot with no camera movement using the Tamron 90/2.8 VC and the Nikon 60/2.8G. The scans have been super high quality, but I'm sure the K-1 could do better with pixel shift!

11-29-2018, 10:23 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Can you not mount the camera to something solid so the camera isn't standing on the lens? Like a tripod with the center post inverted. That's how I'm copying 35mm negatives.
11-30-2018, 04:06 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sperdynamite Quote
I'm using a "Film Toaster" so the camera rests on a box vertically while macro focusing on a piece of film.
I do not understand the need to refocus at all, even less to use autofocus for a subject that is lying in a precisely defined static distance.
11-30-2018, 07:17 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yes, though it might be noted that Pentax is not the only neglected mount.
True: there's M39, M42, Exacta, Miranda, Konica, Alpa, Canon R, Canon FL, Canon FD, Contax (reincarnated), Contarex, (were there ever any third party lenses in Contarex mount?), etc (several in the "Prakti" system)..........

OK, these are all defunct mounts not now used on any production camera*, and there may be some lenses still made in M42, and M39 was/is standard for short FL enlarging lenses. But it is disturbing and annoying. Both Sigma & Tamron offer lenses that I wish were available in K-mount.

*Or is there still a Voigtlander-branded film rangefinder in M39?

Last edited by WPRESTO; 11-30-2018 at 07:25 AM.
11-30-2018, 07:31 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Nikon and Canon make some really cheap bodies. Just add to your camera collection.
11-30-2018, 07:35 AM   #21
Veteran Member

internal focus macro
The new Irix 150mm macro is internal focus, I believe it has a K mount version
11-30-2018, 07:39 AM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Nikon and Canon make some really cheap bodies. Just add to your camera collection.
Note added. The Tamron 150-600mm second version, is a really good long-range tele-zoom. I bought a Canon 7D body just so I could get & use the lens. Here's something heretical on this site. The Canon + Tamron focused faster and locked-on more reliably than my K1 + 150~450mm. Photographing birds at a feeder, I got many (MANY!) more keepers with the C+T than the P+P. That experience lead me to sell the 150~450mm.

11-30-2018, 07:48 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Note added. The Tamron 150-600mm second version, is a really good long-range tele-zoom. I bought a Canon 7D body just so I could get & use the lens. Here's something heretical on this site. The Canon + Tamron focused faster and locked-on more reliably than my K1 + 150~450mm. Photographing birds at a feeder, I got many (MANY!) more keepers with the C+T than the P+P. That experience lead me to sell the 150~450mm.
You gotta do what you gotta do.....
Personally the coming 2x TC will push my Tamron 300 2.8 to 60 ƒ5.6 and I have a Tamron 2x that while not 100% compatible does a good job on the K-1. That being said, the K-3 is my birding camera.
11-30-2018, 06:53 PM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Can you not mount the camera to something solid so the camera isn't standing on the lens? Like a tripod with the center post inverted. That's how I'm copying 35mm negatives.
There actually is a macro rail system I'm looking into, that might correct the issue and add general stability.
12-02-2018, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

There actually is a macro rail system I'm looking into, that might correct the issue and add general stability.
Yes, much better than having the AF system do push-ups.

FWIW...The rail is a good idea since it is generally easier to focus at 1:1 by moving the lens-camera combination as a unit, particularly when the reproduction ratio is important. A focus rail allows one to set the lens at 1:1 and leave it there with critical focus attained with the rail.

Steve
10-10-2019, 02:05 PM   #26
Pentaxian

There're around 22 new 3rd party lenses since 2016:
Objektive mit Hersteller: Irix/Laowa/Samyang/Walimex, Objektivbajonett: Pentax K, Gelistet seit: ab 2016 heise online Preisvergleich / Deutschland