Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2018, 07:00 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

The DA 70mm. A forgotten lens?

I came across this lens while browsing the Internet. I don't recall ever having heard mention of it before. On an ASPC format, it would be the equivalent of the older M-105mm lens of years ago.

Does anyone have any experience with this lens? It would be the perfect trifecta.... the DA-35mm f:2.4, the DA-50mm f:1.8 and the DA-70mm f:2.4.

11-29-2018, 07:04 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Been shooting with it for 8 years. Fantastic lens. It matches up nicely with my DA15, DA21, FA43, and my FA50. What an amazingly small, light, and capable kit of 5 lenses that go from the old 28mm to 105mm with solid performance and character across the range. I've never felt up to reviewing it, it exceeds my ability as a photographer and I keep trying to match what it has to offer me. I use it as a portrait lens primarily and it never fails me. It's easier than my 85/1.4 because its an AF lens, and it has color rendition that is better (more traditional Pentaxian) than the 85. It's amazingly small for so capable a lens.

Many good reviews of it here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-DA-70mm-F2.4-Limited-Lens.html#reviewlist

Last edited by Docrwm; 11-29-2018 at 07:14 PM.
11-29-2018, 07:10 PM - 1 Like   #3

Photos: Gallery
It's wonderful.
HD Pentax-DA 70mm F2.4 Limited Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
11-29-2018, 07:37 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I notice that there's two different Limited lenses..... with either red or green accents. Any difference between them other than a few $$$?

I currently have a Pentax-M 100mm f:2.8 that I really like, but I think autofocus would work better for me. If the DA-70 can equal the M-100, IQ-wise, I'll be more than satisfied.

11-29-2018, 07:50 PM - 1 Like   #5
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I love my 70 Limited!!!
11-29-2018, 07:59 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's always been in the shadow of the FA77.

I got one a few months ago because it fell into my price point/available funds spot. I haven't used it a lot yet just because I am too busy to take photos. The SMC version (green ring) is maybe slightly worse than the HD version (red) and at this focal length, rounded aperture blades are probably useful. There's a review here with comparison shots. I have the SMC because I'm cheap, and I thought it would be good enough for me.

I want to assemble a travel prime kit now, because I have the DA21 and the DA70. I'm going to try to use the FA35/2 in the middle. The M120/2.8 would work fine if I needed something longer.
11-29-2018, 08:13 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
I notice that there's two different Limited lenses..... with either red or green accents. Any difference between them other than a few $$$
HD vs. SMC Pentax Limited Primes Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Green = SMC coating and on some lenses straight aperture blades.

Red = HD coatings and rounded aperture blades.

HD gives better flare resistance and the nano coatings keep fingerprints and dirt to a minimum.

SMC version generally has better starbursts.

---------- Post added 11-29-18 at 10:13 PM ----------

Oh and I own the FA77 AND HD DA70... Both are nice.

11-29-2018, 08:35 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Far from forgotten for me It's my main lens for concert photos, and I've used it for just about everything from portraits to landscapes to sports. I have the HD version, it was the first limited edition lens I bought. Here's the sample shots thread Pentax DA 70mm f/2.4 Limited samples - Page 6 - PentaxForums.com
11-29-2018, 08:39 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I came across this lens while browsing the Internet.
How did you manage to ignore all the references to it on this website?

If you like the other DA limiteds, there is no reason to not like this one. Leather bag, funky screw on collapsing lens hood, felt on the inside of the slip on metal lens cap and very compact. Screw drive autofocus, which isn't particularly fast on a K-30, but f2.4 is nice to have at this focal length and it's a featherweight compared to an f2.8 70-200 zoom. I bought a used one, thinking it would be ideal for portraits and I haven't been disappointed. It is sharp (not as sharp as the Tamron 90mm SP Macro lens that I have, but still sharp) and I really like it's colour rendition. I was already taking about 15% of my shots at or around 70mm, but unless I want/need a wide aperture, I don't feel compelled to take a zoom off my camera to put the DA 70 on, so my use of it is much lower than 15%. If I was a primeophile, then this lens would fill a pretty big gap, without having to put up with any compromises.
11-29-2018, 09:49 PM - 9 Likes   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Great lens. Works just fine on FF, too:

11-29-2018, 10:20 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
It's always been in the shadow of the FA77.
Overshadowed, but not by much: DA 70mm vs FA 77mm Limited Review - Comparison: Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Great lens. Works just fine on FF, too:
You in partnership with @LeRolls now Clackers? ;-)
11-29-2018, 10:40 PM - 7 Likes   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Overshadowed, but not by much: DA 70mm vs FA 77mm Limited Review - Comparison: Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

You in partnership with @LeRolls now Clackers? ;-)
(Laughs) I'm a person with many photographic interests, Des, you should know that by now. Wildlife, sports, portraits, love it all.

About the only kind of photographer I can't abide is a lazy one, who hasn't gotten better or done things differently in the last year, or years, dare I say it.

To hear someone crap on how they've outgrown Pentax and need a Sony A9, and we can all see that after five years they're still only up to getting a flower exposed and focused - week one of a photography course - is always amusing. There's a lot of them about!

Anyway, I've even learnt how to do some nude stuff this year … them, not me, I hasten to add. Real exercise in trust and rapport, in this MeToo world. The moment it doesn't seem like a genuine artistic collaboration, the jig would be up, I reckon. Leave your ego at the door.

BTW I think people need to stop staring at the bits in LeRolls' glamour portfolio photos and enjoy the carefully-chosen settings and the tone matching of subject and background … he points out he used to do a lot of landscapes.

Last edited by clackers; 11-30-2018 at 12:35 AM.
11-30-2018, 12:47 AM - 4 Likes   #13
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I think people need to stop staring at the bits in LeRolls' glamour portfolio photos and enjoy the carefully-chosen settings and the tone matching of subject and background … he used to do a lot of landscapes.
That's why I made the comparison - not just the beauty of the model. Your portrait stands out for the same reasons. Brilliantly conceived and shot, if I may say so.

We tend to pigeon-hole photography - studio portraits, outdoor portraits, landscape, still life, macro, sport, wildlife, street, etc. We all tend to gravitate towards a subset of those, but it's always interesting to learn from the others and to try different things. You made the point a while back that you approached wildlife photography with the principles of portraiture in mind. There's a lot of crossover of skills between areas.
11-30-2018, 12:47 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Veteran Member

I came across this lens while browsing the Internet. I don't recall ever having heard mention of it before. On an ASPC format, it would be the equivalent of the older M-105mm lens of years ago.

Does anyone have any experience with this lens? It would be the perfect trifecta.... the DA-35mm f:2.4, the DA-50mm f:1.8 and the DA-70mm f:2.4.
That seems like a pretty long trifecta on a crop sensor camera but if that's where you shoot then the DA 70 is a fantastic lens in the group. Although I think most of the lenses you listed will also work in FF mode on the K-1.

I'm not sure it's not mentioned often, I think it's just a slightly less often used focal length than the DA 15, 21, 35, 40 and FA 31 and 43. Then there is the fact that the FA 77 is legendary.

I love that the DA 70 is a f/2.4 yet fits in a pocket. The IQ is excellent for a lens that often sells used for under $250 and works on the K-1.

11-30-2018, 01:44 AM - 6 Likes   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
That's why I made the comparison - not just the beauty of the model. Your portrait stands out for the same reasons. Brilliantly conceived and shot, if I may say so.

We tend to pigeon-hole photography - studio portraits, outdoor portraits, landscape, still life, macro, sport, wildlife, street, etc. We all tend to gravitate towards a subset of those, but it's always interesting to learn from the others and to try different things. You made the point a while back that you approached wildlife photography with the principles of portraiture in mind. There's a lot of crossover of skills between areas.
Thanks, mate, yes, it's really a photo of left vs right, blue vs yellow, she has to be looking to the blue instead of us for it to work. I was shooting into the sun, using flash for fill, there's contrast veil happening, I haven't even removed the flare spots in post, just left them there.

I do love the dog photo with the DA70, too, it's candid street photography, it's a different thang.

And yes, I do try to shoot both wildlife and sports as portraiture, it's just the workshops I've been to have had such an influence, so to shoot a bird by those same principles is a real thrill for me:

Last edited by clackers; 11-30-2018 at 02:06 AM.