Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2018, 05:39 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have extra elements for a Nikon 105 2.5 and I used charcoal to fine sand out blemishes from a crash. It effects the lens. One day I will grind it more.

11-30-2018, 06:14 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
@Dartmoor Dave; That B&W horse shot is gorgeous! I am sandpapering all my lenses tonight....
11-30-2018, 09:53 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcsnyc Quote
@Dartmoor Dave; That B&W horse shot is gorgeous! I am sandpapering all my lenses tonight....
Count me in too ! I even have a couple extra 18-55 lenses.....lol.
I loved the horse shots....VERY Nicely done , sandpapered lenses or not.
12-01-2018, 02:56 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
Would doing it on a filter have similar effect?

Yes, definitely. I tried it out on a cheap old UV filter first and got pretty much the effect I wanted, except that the filter caused a slight colour shift. In the end I decided to scratch up the lens itself because it's a cheap enough thing that I didn't mind taking the risk.

I'm most definitely not going to recommend that people start sandpapering their finest modern optics. But keeping a scratched up old UV filter in the bag might actually come in handy for those times when you want the sort of dreamier look that modern lenses are designed to avoid at all costs. You can buy filters that have a sort of similar effect, but they tend to soften things up a bit too much for what I was personally after.

12-01-2018, 07:39 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Too long to read. Can we have the reader's digest version please?
12-01-2018, 08:28 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Too long to read. Can we have the reader's digest version please?
Answer: maybe not by YMMV.
12-01-2018, 08:43 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I sandpapered the front element of my 18-55mm WR to try to get some light scatter across the glass and take some of the hard edge off the rendering. I'm not suggesting that it's something that a sane and normal person would want to do, but I'm happy with the results:
Just as a word of warning if anyone does scratch their front elements that you can go too far with it. I bought a jupiter-9 with a lot of scratches on the front element kind of like that but the slightest bit of light would make the image entirely unusable. I had to end up selling the lens at a little bit of a loss.

Using a UV filter and experimenting with how many scratches/what kind of scratches you'd want to get the desired effect is wise. The image did have a special softness though, and not like a bad lens. Really need to do something like this again

12-02-2018, 11:22 AM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
but the slightest bit of light would make the image entirely unusable.
Given that light is needed to make the photo, that is truly sad.

Steve