Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2018, 01:15 PM   #1

Remove fungus and mold from 8-element Super Takumar 50mm 1.4

Hi,
I recently bought a 8-element Super-Takumar 50mm 1.4, which looked pretty good in the first place. But there is some severe fungus and mold in the lens, espacially between the second-last element and the last element.
I saw some repair videos for the 7 element Super-Takumar, which looked not that hard to do, but does this apply to the 8-element version too? I think it might be much harded because of the cemented tripplet of lenses. I have almost no experience in repairing a lens, so any advice is quite welcome.

Did anybody of you successfully repaired and reassembled this lens?

Thanks for your help!

12-01-2018, 02:26 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Have a look here- Pentax 50mm f/1.4 strip-down instructions
Looks like an 8 element version.
12-01-2018, 02:29 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 17dew Quote
Thanks, I found those instructions earlier, but wasn't aware that thay are for the 8-elemtn variant. Interestingly, the text doesn't mention any cemented lenses.
12-01-2018, 03:37 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Peterdot

The element assembly is removed in one complete block through the front of the lens. You remove the vanity ring and three retainer screws thereunder. Once the element block is removed you can then start disassembly where needed.

The rear elements comprise the cemented triplet. In ALL my experience with this particular lens I have NEVER seen fungus/ mould/ haze in this triplet (n= ~30 lenses). The fungus has always been located in the last element, the middle surfaces that shroud the aperture mechanism or behind the front element.

I have a number of experiences where the fungus has etched the coatings. This is frustrating as there is no part availability from other 50mm lenses (YES the eight element lens has unique parts throughout the entire build - even including the aperture blades).

Are you located in Australia? If so I can perhaps help with your clean (if you wish).

---------- Post added 02-12-18 at 09:44 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 17dew Quote
Yes, it does appear to be an eight element version (vanity ring has the right serial number and the rear element 'looks' about right.

But I have never disassembled an eight element lens in this fashion before when the objective is to clean elements. You do not need to break the lens body down beyond removal of the three retainer screws. When returning the element block to the lens housing one just has to be mindful of slotting the group in correctly with the aperture lever in the right place. Then it is a matter of adjustment to get the aperture settings right (quite easy).

12-01-2018, 03:43 PM - 2 Likes   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
Peterdot

The element assembly is removed in one complete block through the front of the lens. You remove the vanity ring and three retainer screws thereunder. Once the element block is removed you can then start disassembly where needed.

The rear elements comprise the cemented triplet. In ALL my experience with this particular lens I have NEVER seen fungus/ mould/ haze in this triplet (n= ~30 lenses). The fungus has always been located in the last element, the middle surfaces that shroud the aperture mechanism or behind the front element.

I have a number of experiences where the fungus has etched the coatings. This is frustrating as there is no part availability from other 50mm lenses (YES the eight element lens has unique parts throughout the entire build - even including the aperture blades).

Are you located in Australia? If so I can perhaps help with your clean (if you wish).
Thanks for your excellent advice. I do think that the fungus is behind the triplet, so I will give it a try. Well, I am almost located in Australia, which is in Austria
Is there any special tools needed, like a lens spanner or rubber tubes?

Best regards,
Peter
12-01-2018, 04:06 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes you will need a lens wrench and spanner.

this is the bees knees

Spanner Wrenches SKGrimes

I do not recommend this setup below but it gives an example of what is needed to remove the vanity ring

9pcs Rubber Camera DSLR Lens Repair Tool Ring Set 8-83mm Lenses Removal Gadget T | eBay

I bought a nice rubber tool from teh UK about 5 years ago - it is ruined now with countless disassemblies - I wish I could replace it.

---------- Post added 02-12-18 at 10:08 AM ----------

I might try these

9 Sizes EZ Grip Lens Tool / Filter Wrench Set Silicone: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

---------- Post added 02-12-18 at 10:13 AM ----------

This looks decent too. The reason why I like this type is because the centre is solid (easier to apply even pressure to the vanity ring - important when the ring is stuck or belligerent), with a scolloped centre that accounts for a curved element surface

7PCS Pack DSLR Camera Lens Rubber Repair Tool Ring Filter Removal Spanner Wrench 37 86mm lens set 7in1-in Photo Studio Accessories from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

The sturdier the device the more utilitarian it is.

---------- Post added 02-12-18 at 10:28 AM ----------

The tool that I used 'to death' is something like this

Lens Ring Tool Kit, Gum Rubber 10 Pc. ? Micro-Tools
12-02-2018, 02:27 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not sure how Amazon handles different locations, but I have had good luck with this set without breaking the bank:

amazon.com : 18 Sizes Lens Tool / Filter Wrench Set Rubber 37mm 43mm 49mm 52mm 55mm 58mm 62mm 67mm 72mm 77mm 82mm 86mm etc : Camera Lens Accessories : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&