Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2018, 01:31 PM   #1

I need to confirm this is the right hood for a Pentax 40mm Prime Limited.

Hi, I've just come in from a walk with my camera and was dismayed to find that I have lost the lens hood for my Pentax 40mm Prime Ltd. lens. I had the lens cap attached to my wrist so I still have that but it does not fit the lens without its hood. I want to confirm that this is the right replacement before I spend $60!

amazon.com : Pentax Lens Hood MH-RC 49mm for the PENTAX DA 40mm F2.8 Digital SLR Lens : Digital Slr Camera Lenses : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

Or

Would this lens cap fit the lens without its hood?

amazon.com : Pentax O-LC27 27mm Front Lens Cap for -DA 40mm f/2.8 XS Lens : Camera Lens Caps : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

Thank you. Joyce Keay

12-01-2018, 01:55 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yes, the first item is the lens hood for your 40mm pancake prime.

The second is the lens cap for the hood and will not fit without the proper hood.
12-01-2018, 02:42 PM   #3
Pentaxian

The DA 40mm XS is an even more compact version and not designated as Limited. I do not have this version. The hood shown looks right for the Limited, but it should have a flat cap that screws into the hood. Usually, the hood is so compact it is left in place instead of removing it to store. I am surprised the screw-in cap is not included.

If going without the hood, I believe any standard 49mm cap would work. But the one shown does not look like a clip-in cap (standard).
12-01-2018, 03:30 PM   #4
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
49mm pinch cap and a generic range-finder hood for the filter rings will replace the OEM hood/cap....

12-01-2018, 06:37 PM - 1 Like   #5

Original Poster
Thank you for your responses. One of the forum members has offered to sell me a slightly used hood and cap so I'm all set. Joyce Keay
12-01-2018, 08:25 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Why did you take the hood off? I only remove it when shooting Full Frame (to reduce vignetting); on APS-C I leave it permanently screwed on.
12-02-2018, 10:08 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Yes, the first item is the lens hood for your 40mm pancake prime.

The second is the lens cap for the hood and will not fit without the proper hood.
FYI, the second cap is for the DA40 XS lens, not the 40mm limited, and will not work with the hood shown in the first link.
12-02-2018, 12:34 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Joyce Keay Quote
Thank you for your responses. One of the forum members has offered to sell me a slightly used hood and cap so I'm all set. Joyce Keay
Glad that your problem is solved!

12-02-2018, 07:39 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Why did you take the hood off? I only remove it when shooting Full Frame (to reduce vignetting); on APS-C I leave it permanently screwed on.
I didn't take the hood off. It apparently fell off.
12-07-2018, 07:08 AM - 1 Like   #10

Original Poster
Hi, I've just come in from a walk with my camera and was dismayed to find that I have lost the lens hood for my Pentax 40mm Prime Ltd. lens. I had the lens cap attached to my wrist so I still have that but it does not fit the lens without its hood. I want to confirm that this is the right replacement before I spend $60!

amazon.com : Pentax Lens Hood MH-RC 49mm for the PENTAX DA 40mm F2.8 Digital SLR Lens : Digital Slr Camera Lenses : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

Or

Would this lens cap fit the lens without its hood?

amazon.com : Pentax O-LC27 27mm Front Lens Cap for -DA 40mm f/2.8 XS Lens : Camera Lens Caps : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

Thank you. Joyce Keay
Hi, I retraced my steps on the walk where I lost the lens hood to my 40mm prime limited lens and miraculously found it! I can see how I might have lost it and would like to warn others who may have this lens. The lens cap screws on in the same direction that the lens hood screws on, so unless you have your thumb on the lens hood, it would be very easy to at least partially unscrew the hood as you are unscrewing the lens cap. That is apparently what happened. A fellow forum member has sent me a used hood and cap (I'll be receiving it today). Given my history with this lens, I will be very glad to have a spare. I would like to post this warning on whatever forums have to do with this particular lens. Do you have any suggestions on where I might post it? I am going to post it on the Amazon page for this lens and wrote to Ricoh. Thank you all for your replies to my original post.

Last edited by Joyce Keay; 12-07-2018 at 07:34 AM.
12-07-2018, 07:29 AM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi, I retraced my steps on the walk where I lost the lens hood to my 40mm prime limited lens and miraculously found it! I can see how I might have lost it and would like to warn others who may have this lens. The lens cap screws on in the same direction that the lens hood screws on, so unless you have your thumb on the lens hood, it would be very easy to at least partially unscrew the hood as you are unscrewing the lens cap. That is apparently what happened. . . . I would like to post this warning on whatever forums have to do with this particular lens. Do you have any suggestions on where I might post it? . . .
Great news and great idea

perhaps in the user reviews of these lenses ?

SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

HD Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

and here as well ?

Caps - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Hoods - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
12-07-2018, 10:12 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I read this tip on a forum several years ago:-
Just in case I might want to sell or exchange the lens sometime in the future, the original hood and lens cap for my DA 40 are safely stored at home, and for a replacement I have attached 49-37 and 37-30.5 step-down rings plus a plastic 30mm snap-on lens cap, all from eBay.

Philip
04-03-2019, 10:12 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I just wondered about that. The DA 40mm is known to vignet on FF, but does replacing the original lens hood (APS-C designed) witha more generic one solve the problem?
04-03-2019, 11:47 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
I just wondered about that. The DA 40mm is known to vignet on FF, but does replacing the original lens hood (APS-C designed) witha more generic one solve the problem?
Yes it does vignette at f/2.8, with or without hood, though not so badly that it cannot be compensated for in post-processing. To be honest though, I cannot see the difference with and without hood on the K1. I just take it off when shooting on FF to be sure, but it is probably unnecessary. So certainly, no other hood is going to deliver better results.
04-03-2019, 12:02 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got one of that style of hood that came with the 40 Ltd (mine is a JJC knock-off) and I use a film canister cap that pops into the hood for a front lens cap. I wish I had instead gone with a 49mm to 34mm step-down ring and a push-on cap that slides over the flat step-down ring "hood". I did that with some other primes with appropriate sized step-down rings to not cause noticeable vignetting and they're so easy to grab & shoot. The push-in cap is a silly concept in my estimation.