Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-02-2018, 10:41 AM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I have another lens coming on Wednesday. The 55-300mm WR will be here then. I'll test it and see if it does the same thing, but I still think there is something amiss about this lens, not the software as nothing was amiss before with the software until I started using this plastic mount lens.

And could be the reason the previous owner sold the lens to KEH.

12-02-2018, 12:02 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
After downloading and installing latest Camera Raw, it still isn't showing lens data after converting .dng.

if the lens is not listed in the Elements/Camera raw software, then it wont show, even with the latest software. Not all lenses are. Try my suggestion about creating a custom lens profile?
12-02-2018, 12:53 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In Lightroom, you can choose a lens profile to apply to an unknown lens, then tell Lightroom to use that profile all the time. I don't know if Elements allows that. Any of the 18-55 profiles should work except the oldest version of the lens. I had to do that for my DA 50-200 WR, because LR 4.4 didn't recognize it.
12-02-2018, 12:56 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
In Lightroom, you can choose a lens profile to apply to an unknown lens, then tell Lightroom to use that profile all the time. I don't know if Elements allows that. Any of the 18-55 profiles should work except the oldest version of the lens. I had to do that for my DA 50-200 WR, because LR 4.4 didn't recognize it.
I do the same in Silkypix DS Pro for the DFA* 50 mm 1.4

12-02-2018, 01:54 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I. do. not. have. LR.

And I do not know how to build a lens profile in Photoshop Elements. Anyone know?
12-02-2018, 05:22 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I. do. not. have. LR.

And I do not know how to build a lens profile in Photoshop Elements. Anyone know?
I don't have Elements. So we're even.
12-02-2018, 05:35 PM   #22
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi Photolady95

I cannot give you an answer to your problem but at least you do know what lens you have used because it is the only one in your collection that does this.
Not the right answer but an option.
I have a few Sigma lenses and a few are not what exif says it is

Dave

12-02-2018, 05:42 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Oh well. I guess I'll just have to learn to live with it. I know which lens it was took the photo and if any asks, I'll tell them.

Thanks everyone for trying to help!
12-03-2018, 12:53 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Oh well. I guess I'll just have to learn to live with it. I know which lens it was took the photo and if any asks, I'll tell them.

Thanks everyone for trying to help!
If you're using Windows, Microsoft can add extra EXIF data to an image. There's an option to "right-click" on the file in question then in "Details" you can add info like lens details, camera serial number etc.in the "Advanced Photo" section.
I don't think I use any other software other than Explorer that can actually take advantage of this feature, but I find it useful to transfer hand-written notes there when I'm doing some old manual (non-EXIF capable) lens comparisons so I've got the info to hand for immediate reference in the future.
12-03-2018, 05:28 AM   #25

I. do. not. have. LR.

Digital Negative (DNG), Adobe DNG Converter | Adobe Photoshop CC
QuoteQuote:
Adobe's development team adds new lens profiles every release. You can also request for specific lenses here.
The Adobe Lens Profile Creator Tool « Julieanne Kost's Blog
Adobe - Adobe Lens Profile Creator : For Windows : Adobe Lens Profile Creator 1.0.4
12-06-2018, 11:08 AM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I just remembered that I'm running the K-50 firmware on this K-30 Blue Knight, could that be the reason it's not transferring the EXIF to the software?
12-07-2018, 06:47 AM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
And I got the 55-300mm WR in yesterday, the EXIF is being seen in flickr again. So I still say it's that plastic mount. It's the only lens I have that has that mount. All my other lenses have a metal mount.
12-07-2018, 09:02 AM   #28

Mount and pin connection problems should manifest themselves in various ways. AF would be intermittent or non-functioning, the dreaded 'F --' indicator in the viewfinder. As long as the contacts are working it shouldn't matter if the mount is plastic, bare metal or coated metal.

Maybe Flickr changed something.
12-07-2018, 11:22 AM   #29

If you are getting the focal length, aperture, etc. correctly, then the data pin in the mount is working correctly. As others have posted, the lens only sends a numeric ID code to the camera, and the camera writes that into the metadata. It is up to the software reading the metadata to interpret it (i.e. Elements, Lightroom, Flickr, etc.). My DA16-85 predates my version of Elements, and is reported as a 3-digit numeric code by Elements (something like “824”). If The EXIF is using the right code, then it is Elements. If there is no lens ID code, or the wrong code, then it could either be the lens firmware failing to report the lens code, or the camera failing to read it correctly. If someone else has the same lens, they could post a SOOC JPEG, and you could try it with your software. If it’s Elements then it should behave the same as your lens/camera. If you could try your lens on another body, and it works with your software, then it is likely the camera (or the K-50 firmware). You could also try reinstalling the latest K-30 firmware to see if that is the issue.

---------- Post added 12-07-18 at 11:53 AM ----------

Correction, Elements does not report my 16-85 using a numeric code, it is Flickr that does that (the code is 8 200, although it is a JPEG written by Elements 12). Elements just shows a blank for the Lens ID. My version of Elements does the same for the IMGP0316.jpg you posted. I tried with Apple's "Preview.app" on my Mac, and it reports the lens correctly, as "smc PENTAX-DA L 18-55 F3.5-5.6 AL WR". The Pentax Forums "Show EXIF" link on your post correctly shows the lens as "Smc PENTAX-DA L 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR". That is the viewing software extracting the Lens ID from the JPEG, and interpreting the code itself. From this I'm pretty sure it is Elements missing the Lens ID code for the DA L 18-55 in its lookup table, and nothing to do with your lens or camera (or the K-50 firmware).

Last edited by Cthulhugan; 12-07-2018 at 11:56 AM.
12-07-2018, 01:36 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Agreed. The software predates the lens. Ergo: no lens ID