Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-07-2018, 01:45 PM   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Agreed. The software predates the lens. Ergo: no lens ID
Then tell me why the other lenses are being seen? Software is up to date, Elements 15 is updated to 2016, Faststone is version 6.7. Both are newer than the lens.

I'll let you know when I get the desktop up and running and am running Photoshop Elements 2018, and whether it sees the lens or not this weekend.

12-07-2018, 03:26 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Then tell me why the other lenses are being seen? Software is up to date, Elements 15 is updated to 2016, Faststone is version 6.7. Both are newer than the lens.

I'll let you know when I get the desktop up and running and am running Photoshop Elements 2018, and whether it sees the lens or not this weekend.
I am running the latest version of Photoshop CC. The 18-55 DAL lens is listed under lens profiles, so it should be seen when processing a DNG raw file.

However a quick search on Flickr for this lens and i cannot see any pictures with the lens listed in the EXIF, just in user added tags, so maybe there is some other reason it doesnt show.
12-07-2018, 03:43 PM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I am running the latest version of Photoshop CC. The 18-55 DAL lens is listed under lens profiles, so it should be seen when processing a DNG raw file.

However a quick search on Flickr for this lens and i cannot see any pictures with the lens listed in the EXIF, just in user added tags, so maybe there is some other reason it doesnt show.
Why not see if you can get a DNG from photolady95 straight from her camera and develop it in CC to see what happens?
12-07-2018, 04:41 PM   #34
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Why not see if you can get a DNG from photolady95 straight from her camera and develop it in CC to see what happens?
Not going to happen. I'm just going to chalk it up as an odd occurrence for one lens not being read right in my software or whatever is causing this and call this done with.

12-07-2018, 04:51 PM   #35

Every program that interprets Lens ID codes needs a table to map the code to the exact lens data (name, profile, etc.). I expect that Elements is missing the DA L, probably just an oversight by Adobe. The acid test is to pull the Lens ID code directly from a DNG, PEF or JPEG using something like EXIF Tool. The fact that other software (Apple’s Preview.app, and the Forum’s EXIF display) correctly identifies your image files as from the DA-L 18-55 confirms that the correct Lens ID code is stored in the image metadata. It has to be Elements that is dropping the ball.

---------- Post added 12-07-18 at 05:04 PM ----------

A quick google found this:

Problems with Pentax lens info in exif and Adob... |*Adobe Community

It looks like Lightroom and other Adobe products are also missing the DA L 18-55.

---------- Post added 12-07-18 at 05:11 PM ----------

The correct Lens ID code for the DA L 18-55 is: 7 222

Pentax Tags
12-07-2018, 05:16 PM   #36
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cthulhugan Quote
It has to be Elements that is dropping the ball.
The metal mounts 50-200mm and the 55-300mm, and the 18-55mm WR all were produced the same year 2009 to present.

But the one I bought was produced these years (2013 to present (in production) ) and I bet that's why it's not being seen by Elements.

Shoot, I bought the wrong lens. I should have bought the one with the metal mount that was produced earlier, instead of looking closer at it at KEH, I bought the one with the plastic mount.

And I can't return it because it's been too long since I bought it.

I concede you all's point, it's Element's fault somewhat, but it's my fault too for not looking more closely at what I was buying. Well, at least one thing happened here, you made me think harder. LOL
12-07-2018, 06:07 PM   #37
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Elements 15 came out in 2015 so it should have profiles for lenses that came out in 2013, but if this lens came out after 2015, that would explain what is happening.

12-07-2018, 06:20 PM   #38

... or it’s just a bug in Elements.
12-07-2018, 07:00 PM   #39
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
No, I don't think there is any bug in Elements. Well, in this version there might be, I won't know until I get the newer one installed on the desktop. I'll let you know then.
12-12-2018, 04:52 PM   #40
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I bought this one today.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-DA-18-55mm-F3.5-5.6-WR-W...Zoom-Lens.html

I'll give the plastic mount one to my daughter. She has my ABF K-30 using the AA adapter, and my DA 18-55mm f3.5-4.5 ll lens, I'll trade her the plastic WR for that one.
12-12-2018, 06:54 PM - 1 Like   #41
PDL
Pentaxian

For some reason I can't get EXIFtool to run on my Windows 8.1 laptop.
That is strange since ExifTool is a CMD file process. I suggest doing the following (I was using it on Windows 8.1 and ExifGui without issue back in the day)

1. Go here and download Exiftool.zip ExifTool by Phil Harvey
2. In file Explorer create a folder in a (depending on how many drives you have) Program files (86)\ExifTool.
3 Expand the zip file from step 1 and rename the extracted file ExifTool.exe.
4. Move ExifTool.exe into the folder created in step 2.

Now for the part you may be having an issue with, the ExifTool folder needs to be in your systems "Path" statement. Go to Control Panel and select "System", select the Advanced System Settings which you will need to run as a member of the Administrator group (Getting on my soapbox here, as a standard user you should NEVER be running as a member of the Administrator group unless you are doing stuff like this - you would be asking for issues). Go into System Properties "Advanced". There is a "Environment Variables" button, click it and add the path from step 2.

Now if you really really find this difficult, it is possible in Windows 8.1 to just copy the ExiftTool.exe file into the C:\Windows\system32 folder. I do not suggest that you do it as Microsoft has the habit of removing files out of Windows folders that are "not from Microsoft".

5. Once you have all this in place. Open a CMD file (Windows key + R type in CMD) change the directory into the file where your image is and run the following:
exiftool -G <image file name> | find /i "lens" you will get something that looks like this:
[EXIF] Lens Model : smc PENTAX-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL
[MakerNotes] Lens Type : smc PENTAX-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL
[MakerNotes] Lens F Stops : 5
[MakerNotes] Lens Focal Length : 18.1 mm
[Composite] Lens ID : smc PENTAX-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL

Before warned - I have used Exiftool to extract the MakerNotes Lens Type field and populate the EXIF Lens Model field. There is a tool that is GUI based, but the developer has abandoned it and Google has changed the interface on the map process that really makes it difficult to do anything. Unfortunately Google wants to change everything into a source of income so embedding Google Maps is broken. Too bad you can't use Bing Maps as their interface/API stuff is not charging you.
12-13-2018, 04:49 AM   #42
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
That is strange since ExifTool is a CMD file process. I suggest doing the following (I was using it on Windows 8.1 and ExifGui without issue back in the day)

1. Go here and download Exiftool.zip ExifTool by Phil Harvey
2. In file Explorer create a folder in a (depending on how many drives you have) Program files (86)\ExifTool.
3 Expand the zip file from step 1 and rename the extracted file ExifTool.exe.
4. Move ExifTool.exe into the folder created in step 2.

Now for the part you may be having an issue with, the ExifTool folder needs to be in your systems "Path" statement. Go to Control Panel and select "System", select the Advanced System Settings which you will need to run as a member of the Administrator group (Getting on my soapbox here, as a standard user you should NEVER be running as a member of the Administrator group unless you are doing stuff like this - you would be asking for issues). Go into System Properties "Advanced". There is a "Environment Variables" button, click it and add the path from step 2.

Now if you really really find this difficult, it is possible in Windows 8.1 to just copy the ExiftTool.exe file into the C:\Windows\system32 folder. I do not suggest that you do it as Microsoft has the habit of removing files out of Windows folders that are "not from Microsoft".

5. Once you have all this in place. Open a CMD file (Windows key + R type in CMD) change the directory into the file where your image is and run the following:
exiftool -G <image file name> | find /i "lens" you will get something that looks like this:
[EXIF] Lens Model : smc PENTAX-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL
[MakerNotes] Lens Type : smc PENTAX-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL
[MakerNotes] Lens F Stops : 5
[MakerNotes] Lens Focal Length : 18.1 mm
[Composite] Lens ID : smc PENTAX-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL

Before warned - I have used Exiftool to extract the MakerNotes Lens Type field and populate the EXIF Lens Model field. There is a tool that is GUI based, but the developer has abandoned it and Google has changed the interface on the map process that really makes it difficult to do anything. Unfortunately Google wants to change everything into a source of income so embedding Google Maps is broken. Too bad you can't use Bing Maps as their interface/API stuff is not charging you.
I know how to use the cmd prompt. I just prefer not to when as of yesterday, I bought the other metal mount lens and when it gets here will not be using the plastic mount lens that was manufactured in 2013.

But thanks for taking the time to instruct a computer tech on how to use the command prompt anyway.
12-13-2018, 05:58 PM - 1 Like   #43
PDL
Pentaxian

But thanks for taking the time to instruct a computer tech on how to use the command prompt anyway.
Next time I will think better of it.
12-13-2018, 06:09 PM   #44
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
Next time I will think better of it.
You did realize that was a grin at the end, right? I was joking. I appreciate the time, and it might help someone else.
12-14-2018, 05:32 AM   #45
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
My desktop is up and running with Windows 7 Pro installed and Photoshop Elements 2018 integrated with camera raw 10, all updated that too. I'll try the lens today if I get time, and see if this combination sees the data in EXIF. If not, I'll still do as I said, and give the lens to my daughter and keep the one I just bought for myself, the one with the metal mount. Just an aside, it's brand new and still in the box, never been opened, and on it's way to me since yesterday.

And was cheaper than the one I bought from KEH. LOL