Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2018, 04:36 PM   #1

Lens compatibility and Aperture on a manual MX with a manual Sicor XL MC

Good day,

I'm a beginner in photography and I just bought my very first camera, an old manual Pentax MX film camera which came with a Sicor XL MC lens.

I have read about lens compatibility and how a lens stops at a certain aperture if not fully compatible somewhere in the forum and googling but it seems that I can't find any information about the combination and how to fully utilize the said lens that's why I'm turning to the pros here in the forum.

My questions are:

Is there a way to utilize the performance of the lens?
What lens should I invest next that's just right in the budget and an all-arounder?

I really fell in love with the vintage feels my camera gives, and would like to invest little by little on my new found hobby.

12-03-2018, 05:20 PM - 1 Like   #2
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jkcerezo Quote
Good day,

I'm a beginner in photography and I just bought my very first camera, an old manual Pentax MX film camera which came with a Sicor XL MC lens.

I have read about lens compatibility and how a lens stops at a certain aperture if not fully compatible somewhere in the forum and googling but it seems that I can't find any information about the combination and how to fully utilize the said lens that's why I'm turning to the pros here in the forum.

My questions are:

What lens should I invest next that's just right in the budget and an all-arounder?

I really fell in love with the vintage feels my camera gives, and would like to invest little by little on my new found hobby.
Hi welcome to the Forums. You need to fully identify your lens including whether it is A) thread mount, B) K mount manual or C) K mount A series (Has an A point on the aperture ring.) If it was the original lens for the camera it is probably K Mount manual. In that case it is as simple as operating the aperture ring and adjusting the shutter speed to obtain the correct exposure on the camera meter.
12-03-2018, 05:51 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

1. The best way to utilize the performance of the lens is to learn to use the camera. If you have the camera manual, that is a good place to start. If you don't, you can download a copy for free from:

Pentax Manuals | Manual Focus

2. Is this your lens: Sicor-XL 35-70mm 1:3.5-4.5 MC ? It is probably a decent tool to get started and to help you learn the basics of how to use your camera.

As for what lens you might want to buy; conventional wisdom is that a non-zoom "normal" lens, a so-called "fast 50" is good to have. I own the Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7 and can heartily recommend it as an excellent option at a reasonable price (~$45 USD) when you are ready for a small and light lens that is good in low light. Your camera was probably sold new with either a Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7 or a Pentax-M 50mm f/1.4.

The film SLR section of this site is a great resource for technical advice as well as information on how to use your camera. I am sure you will be a welcome addition to the crew.

Pentax Film SLR Discussion - PentaxForums.com

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-03-2018 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Spelling
12-03-2018, 06:22 PM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Lens compatibility
BTW, I forgot to mention that your camera is compatible with all K-mount lenses that have an aperture (f-stop) ring.

Steve

12-03-2018, 06:26 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Hi welcome to the Forums. You need to fully identify your lens including whether it is A) thread mount, B) K mount manual or C) K mount A series (Has an A point on the aperture ring.) If it was the original lens for the camera it is probably K Mount manual. In that case it is as simple as operating the aperture ring and adjusting the shutter speed to obtain the correct exposure on the camera meter.
Thanks for the reply!

I'm using a K-mount manual (bayonet type?) and I've read manuals about the camera and the lens. I've pretty much tested them already. What confuses me is why the lens I have does not reach f/22? Now I've read that its because of compatibility. Now I wonder if there is something that I could attach or add or modify for my hardware to reach more than f/5.6.

Apologies if I don't make sense with my questions or if its a bit confusing as I'm trying to explain what's really new to me.
12-03-2018, 06:37 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

1. The best way to utilize the performance of the lens is to learn to use the camera. If you have the camera manual, that is a good place to start. If you don't, you can download a copy for free from:

Pentax Manuals | Manual Focus

2. Is this your lens: Sicor-XL 35-70mm 1:3.5-4.5 MC ? It is probably a decent tool to get started and to help you learn the basics of how to use your camera.

Pentax Film SLR Discussion - PentaxForums.com

Steve

Good day!

Indeed, the night I got my camera I quickly searched for the manual for it (bought it as a second hand from an enthusiast as well) as I don't know how to load a roll of film

I've attached a photo I grabbed off google of the lens that came with it. The seller demonstrated that the aperture reaches f/22 but what I noticed is when it's connected to the body, it doesn't shut all the way to f/22, only up to f/5.6. is there any way or any additional attachments that I could purchase for the lens to even reach more than f/5.6?

Again, apologies if my questions are confusing as I'm a week old into film photography
Attached Images

12-03-2018, 07:46 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Good day!

Indeed, the night I got my camera I quickly searched for the manual for it (bought it as a second hand from an enthusiast as well) as I don't know how to load a roll of film

I've attached a photo I grabbed off google of the lens that came with it. The seller demonstrated that the aperture reaches f/22 but what I noticed is when it's connected to the body, it doesn't shut all the way to f/22, only up to f/5.6. is there any way or any additional attachments that I could purchase for the lens to even reach more than f/5.6?

Again, apologies if my questions are confusing as I'm a week old into film photography
The lens will only stop down at the time of image capture. If you select F22 but it doesn't stop down all the way, then the lens is defective (or perhaps the actuator in the camera).

You can test this by operating the lever on the back of the lens with your finger, and seeing if it moves smoothly.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-03-2018, 07:53 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The lens will only stop down at the time of image capture. If you select F22 but it doesn't stop down all the way, then the lens is defective (or perhaps the actuator in the camera).

You can test this by operating the lever on the back of the lens with your finger, and seeing if it moves smoothly.
Also the MX has a DOF preview lever which would stop down the lens on camera. I think it does anyway.