Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2018, 03:19 PM   #1

Probable problem on Super multi coated 135/2.5 v2

Hi,
I think I have a problem with my beautiful 135/2.5 v2 lens. As you can see from the next three picture there is a lighter part in the frame.

the following was taken with the 50/1.4

and the last one with the 28/3.5

what do you think about the light issue with the first three. It would be the 135? I don't know because I've already taken a lot of photos with the 135 without any problem, as well as with the other two lens.

The photos came from different rolls of film.

Thank you for your support!

Ciao,
Oscar

12-05-2018, 03:24 PM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Oscar, and welcome to the forums

The first three look more like light leak and/or shutter-related issues to me, rather than a lens issue. Have you tried different lenses with the same film camera, or the same lens with a different film camera, since noting these results? It would be worth doing so, in order to confirm whether the problem is with the camera (as I suspect) or the lens (as you suspect).
12-05-2018, 03:30 PM   #3
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Oscar are you using a lens hood? Makes an especially big difference with old glass.
12-05-2018, 03:36 PM   #4

Original Poster
Hi BigMackCam, and thanks for the reply.
I shoot a lot of rolls with the three lens I mentioned. The last two rolls showed the issue with just the framed I posted. Do you think it is a coincidence that the problem came out with the 135?
I will monitor the evolution on the next rolls.

12-05-2018, 03:42 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I suspect a light leak or an internal reflection. What camera are you using?

Steve

(...have had similar results from my FED-2 rangefinder due to a gap in the camera innards...)
12-05-2018, 03:43 PM   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Randomfstop Quote
I shoot a lot of rolls with the three lens I mentioned. The last two rolls showed the issue with just the framed I posted. Do you think it is a coincidence that the problem came out with the 135?
The pattern of the artefacts doesn't suggest a lens problem to me. My first guess (but it's only a guess) - especially given the clear horizontal and vertical nature of the artefacts on the first photo - is a light leak and/or shutter issue... Or possibly even degradation of non-reflective blackening inside the mirror box (might be worth checking to see if you have any of that flaking off).

I'm sure there will be other members here with much more experience of film cameras that can offer more dependable assessments and advice.
12-05-2018, 03:56 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Are you confident that the film was developed correctly?
12-06-2018, 11:14 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Hi Oscar are you using a lens hood? Makes an especially big difference with old glass.
Yes I did, the original one

---------- Post added 12-06-18 at 11:14 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I suspect a light leak or an internal reflection. What camera are you using?

Steve

(...have had similar results from my FED-2 rangefinder due to a gap in the camera innards...)
Pentax Spotmatic SP

---------- Post added 12-06-18 at 11:16 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
Are you confident that the film was developed correctly?
I hope so. The other photos has been developed without any artifact

---------- Post added 12-06-18 at 11:18 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
The pattern of the artefacts doesn't suggest a lens problem to me. My first guess (but it's only a guess) - especially given the clear horizontal and vertical nature of the artefacts on the first photo - is a light leak and/or shutter issue... Or possibly even degradation of non-reflective blackening inside the mirror box (might be worth checking to see if you have any of that flaking off).

I'm sure there will be other members here with much more experience of film cameras that can offer more dependable assessments and advice.
After your observation, I agree it is a matter of the camera and not of the lens. I think I have to go for a CLA service.

12-06-2018, 12:16 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Randomfstop Quote
After your observation, I agree it is a matter of the camera and not of the lens. I think I have to go for a CLA service.
Check the condition of the rear cover seals. Any chance you accidental opened the rear cover and exposed the film to light?
12-06-2018, 01:21 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Another possibility is that the light leak was due to a compromised felt on the film cartridge. Clues as to where and when are whether the fogging extends outside the frame boundaries. If so, it was in the film chamber or film cartridge. If not, the leak or reflection was in the mirror box or in the lens.

Steve
12-07-2018, 10:26 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
Check the condition of the rear cover seals. Any chance you accidental opened the rear cover and exposed the film to light?
Actually not.