Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2007, 07:53 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Adorama has DA* 16-50 for Pre-order and it costs...

$750. Thats an awesome Pre-order price IMO!! $150 off MSRP! So naturally I pre-ordered! For those insterested in the lens:
21650 Pentax SMCP-DA * 16mm - 50mm f/2.8 ED-AL (IF) SDM Autofocus Zoom Lens for Digital SLRs - U.S.A.

For a pro grade * lens this is an awesome price! Consider that the Canon 17-55 F2.8 IS is around $950-1000 and the Nikon 17-55 F2.8 $1200 or so street prices! The Pentax at $750 is an awesome buy compared to the big two, just like the K10D is against the 30D, D80 and D200!

02-26-2007, 08:13 PM   #2
sft

Original Poster
They also have the DA* 50-135 too

21660 Pentax SMCP-DA* 50-135mm f/2.8.6 ED (IF) SDM Auto Focus Telephoto Zoom Lens

@ $830 - about $170 off the MSRP - not bad introductory prices at all. I will be skipping this one however and will eagerly be awating the DA* 60-250 f/4 next. Hopefully this will be competetivley priced too - what do you all think the MSRP on that lens will be?
02-26-2007, 08:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Aww man, what a time to be out of dough!
02-26-2007, 09:03 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since there's no note on the listing, don't you think they could have them in stock? At that low price, I'll really be considering getting it

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-26-2007, 09:19 PM   #5
sft

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
Since there's no note on the listing, don't you think they have them in stock? At that low price, I'll really be considering getting it
Hehe, now wouldnt that be something
They will probably add the note later on.

I do wish their notes were more accurate, I ordered the AF540 and when I orederd from them there was no note (though there was the day before - so I thought awesome they must have got some stock) and after I placed my order the next day the note was up saying backorder again! Buggered! So im still waiting - dont want to wait for weeks and miss out on the Rebate though (which must be sent in 30 days) - if anyone finds the thing in-stock (Dell doesnt count ) then please drop a line and let me know - ive looked just about everywhere though!

Now the waiting begins on the 16-50 - hope its as good as Pentax is claiming it will be! I do wish the DA* 60-250 was an f/2.8 instead of f/4 - but that would make it huge I guess (and pricier!), I'll still probably save up for it and buy it though then my lens collection will be satisfactory for me - though I do want that DA70 Ltd but having a hard time justyfing it when I already have the FA50 f/1.4 and the DFA100 F/2.8 LBA Sucks! DA70 will have to wait until after the 60-250. I hope!!

Last edited by sft; 02-26-2007 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Too many smileys :)
02-26-2007, 09:57 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sft Quote
Hehe, now wouldnt that be something
They will probably add the note later on.

I do wish their notes were more accurate, I ordered the AF540 and when I orederd from them there was no note (though there was the day before - so I thought awesome they must have got some stock) and after I placed my order the next day the note was up saying backorder again! Buggered! So im still waiting - dont want to wait for weeks and miss out on the Rebate though (which must be sent in 30 days) - if anyone finds the thing in-stock (Dell doesnt count ) then please drop a line and let me know - ive looked just about everywhere though!

Now the waiting begins on the 16-50 - hope its as good as Pentax is claiming it will be! I do wish the DA* 60-250 was an f/2.8 instead of f/4 - but that would make it huge I guess (and pricier!), I'll still probably save up for it and buy it though then my lens collection will be satisfactory for me - though I do want that DA70 Ltd but having a hard time justyfing it when I already have the FA50 f/1.4 and the DFA100 F/2.8 LBA Sucks! DA70 will have to wait until after the 60-250 I hope!!
Agreed, there is no way that they are in stock at this point. Take a number and wait

I wouldn't worry on the rebate. I'll bet you dollars to donuts that they are going to keep this one going in perpetuity (sp?) and until they flood the marketplace with inexpensive Pentax lenses. Man are they getting agressive

Yeah, but the market cannot bear the cost of a 2.8 right now. Short of some corporate catastrophy I think that Pentax is going to have to borrow a line from the movie JAWS...." I think we need a bigger boat" Why? Because the quality will positively be there in the lens and the price point is staggering considering the lenses are * and sealed. Personally, while I don't like the focal lengths, I think that Pentax is covering a lot of bases very quickly. They may never really be any threat to Nikon or Canon, but I think that they have the potential, in time, to really expand their presence among a new wave of photographers.

Stephen
Let's hope so
02-26-2007, 10:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I checked bhphoto which has not enlisted the Da* zooms yet ...

Maybe it is only with adorama

02-27-2007, 06:05 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Mo, sorry, no dice (or lenses to be more exact)
I was in the Adorama store yesterday and asked about the DA * lenses (amongst others) answer "Not in stock yet"
"You have any idea when you'll be getting them in?"
"We don't know, soon we hope, there has been a lot of buzz about them."
"What do you mean by soon?"
I got a typical NYC shrug in return.
BTW yesterday was a historical day, I walked into Adorama, got what I needed, and only what I needed and walked out without "extras". That is the first time that has ever happened. Usually an extra lens, or filter, or tripod or something seems to magically jump into my bag before I get out of the store.

NaCl(maybe it's a good thing Pentax is short on lenses at this time!)H2O

Last edited by NaClH2O; 02-27-2007 at 06:07 AM. Reason: spelling
02-27-2007, 12:24 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Thanks for the info! That's what I thought, but definitely not what I had hoped for. I have bad experiences with pre-ordering from Adorama, so I'll just wait until the lenses are stocked normally

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-27-2007, 03:06 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Since Adorama is hitting the starting gate with these prices how much lower do you think they will go once they are readily available?

Thanks,
02-27-2007, 06:47 PM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
I have bad experiences with pre-ordering from Adorama
I have had bad experiences with adorama period. Will wait for B&H.
02-27-2007, 06:55 PM   #12
sft

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul_C Quote
I have had bad experiences with adorama period. Will wait for B&H.
Really? Ive ordered from them 4-5 times now with no problems at all and my order always gets shipped the day after I placed it. I thought Adorama were one of the better online retailers along with B&H (whom I have also ordered from several times and have had no problems with either).
02-27-2007, 06:56 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Wait doesn't Adorama sell grey market? (They said on their website that they do have their own repair centre to send the lenses)
02-27-2007, 06:59 PM   #14
sft

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
Wait doesn't Adorama sell grey market? (They said on their website that they do have their own repair centre to send the lenses)

They sell both USA & Grey Market. It will state it if its an Import ot not - if the title says USA (as it does for example with the DA*16-50 then it will be a US model). They usually have 2 of many lenses (ie. 2 DA21's - one US model and one Import)
02-27-2007, 07:06 PM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sft Quote
Really?
Yes.

In my last (and final) dealing with them they ignored 2 phone calls and at least a half dozen emails over an item ordered and charged for a month prior, but never shipped; only in the end to finally respond by offering to sell me a similar, but more expensive item. (The charges were reversed.)

The order before that they sent an email saying that one item was out of stock and would take a couple weeks to get in. I responded asking them to remove that item from the order. They canceled the order entirely.

Not worth the hassle.