Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2018, 01:39 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Lens Cleaning Fluid Question

I need to get some new lens cleaning fluid and saw a recommendation for Zeiss and Elcipse brands. I then found Eclipse being sold on line ..... but hang on, it is not recommended for Sony cameras!

ECLIPSE? Lens & CCD Cleaner (59ml Bottle) | Photographic Solutions | Sensor Cleaning Fluid | Just Ltd

Now I don't have a Sony camera, just Pentax, but nevertheless this is a bit worrying, especially as mentioning Pentax is often forgotten (as we here know). What is special about Sony lenses that they cannot be cleaned with this stuff, and do Pentax lenses share that same characteristic? Is it maybe because of a particular plastic used by Sony, and maybe also by Pentax? Or is it just that someone at Sony has a "thing" against cleaning any lenses with any fluid (some people do, I know).

Can anyone here assure us from experience that Eclipse fluid is OK for Pentax lenses, old and new?

Last edited by Lord Lucan; 12-12-2018 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Spelling
12-12-2018, 01:56 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I believe the issue with Sony isn't its lenses, but rather the sensor or the material covering this - hence why certain sensor gel sticks are designed specifically for Sony cameras.

You should be absolutely fine with Eclipse fluid for Pentax camera sensors - and any lenses, regardless of brand.

I will say, however, that after trying all manner of lens cleaning solutions, my favourite approach - unless you're actually servicing a truly filthy lens and all of its elements - is to simply breathe on it and wipe very gently with a good quality, lint-free, single-use lens paper - or, if you prefer, a good quality lens cleaning cloth (note, you should always blow away any debris - even if it's not visible to your eyes - with a rocket blower first; alternatively, brush it away gently with a soft-bristled make-up brush). I've read occasionally that there may be acids in human breath that aren't ideal for lens cleaning, but personally, I feel that's absolute tosh considering the amount of contaminants floating around in our air. Anyway, this is what I now do for general cleaning. Otherwise, I use Zeiss lens cleaning fluid, or occasionally pre-moistened Zeiss lens wipes.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-13-2018 at 01:53 PM.
12-12-2018, 03:17 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
That makes sense of it. Thanks BigMackCam.
12-12-2018, 04:04 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I believe the issue with Sony isn't its lenses, but rather the sensor or the material covering this - hence why certain sensor gel sticks are designed specifically for Sony cameras.

You should be absolutely fine with Eclipse fluid for Pentax camera sensors - and any lenses, regardless of brand.

I will say, however, that after trying all manner of lens cleaning solutions, my favourite approach - unless you're actually servicing a truly filthy lens and all of its elements - is to simply breath on it and wipe very gently with a good quality, lint-free, single-use lens paper - or, if you prefer, a good quality lens cleaning cloth (note, you should always blow away any debris - even if it's not visible to your eyes - with a rocket blower first; alternatively, brush it away gently with a soft-bristled make-up brush). I've read occasionally that there may be acids in human breath that aren't ideal for lens cleaning, but personally, I feel that's absolute tosh considering the amount of contaminants floating around in our air. Anyway, this is what I now do for general cleaning. Otherwise, I use Zeiss lens cleaning fluid, or occasionally pre-moistened Zeiss lens wipes.
Chemically, Eclipse is simply high purity (99% or better) methyl alcohol, according to its MSDS data sheet.

12-12-2018, 04:16 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by baldeagle21b Quote
Chemically, Eclipse is simply high purity (99% or better) methyl alcohol, according to its MSDS data sheet.
Good to know - thank you. Do you have a reference for this (e.g. link to the data sheet)?

Given that, my preference stands - even more so, in fact... Breath and a single-use, lint-free lens paper
12-12-2018, 04:18 PM - 1 Like   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And this is not a General Photography subject but Lens discussion subject and has been moved there. Thanks for understanding.
12-12-2018, 04:28 PM   #7
Pentaxian

FWIW, if anything that won't brush off or looks like it'll need more than a gentle wipe with a micro-fibre cloth and a bit of "huff" I use commercial-grade methylated spirits on a tissue followed by more "huff" and a microfibre cloth ... relatively cheap and readily available. Any residue left from the meths comes right off with the second application of the cloth
12-12-2018, 05:26 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Good to know - thank you. Do you have a reference for this (e.g. link to the data sheet)?

Given that, my preference stands - even more so, in fact... Breath and a single-use, lint-free lens paper
Google "Eclipse lens fluid MSDS" and a link to the PDF file should show up.

12-12-2018, 05:47 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Google "Eclipse lens fluid MSDS" and a link to the PDF file should show up.
Thanks again

I'm an amateur when it comes to chemistry, I'm afraid...

I found the following file, but don't know how the information refers to >= 99% methyl alcohol. Is there a way for the layman to determine this based on the information therein?

https://sensorcleaning.com/Eclipse.pdf
12-12-2018, 07:08 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That one is a very early version (2001) that doesn't detail the purity. This copy is much newer (2015):

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=2ahUKEwj...Jcits2XA8rCEXt

That's Eclipse's main claim to fame, ultra pure and filtered so it won't leave any residue. That's why they can charge hundreds of dollars a gallon for the stuff (lol).
12-13-2018, 06:46 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Cool; that makes Eclipse the same as the gas-line antifreeze Heet (yellow bottle, $3 for 12 oz). I'm not surprised because yellow Heet is widely used in alcohol stoves since it burns so cleanly.
12-13-2018, 08:57 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
Cool; that makes Eclipse the same as the gas-line antifreeze Heet (yellow bottle, $3 for 12 oz). I'm not surprised because yellow Heet is widely used in alcohol stoves since it burns so cleanly.
To be fair to the Eclipse manufacturer, I understand that not only is Eclipse chemically pure but is also filtered to remove any particulate matter that might deposit on surfaces as it evaporates. Substitutes might not have been produced with the same amount of care.
12-13-2018, 01:53 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That one is a very early version (2001) that doesn't detail the purity. This copy is much newer (2015):

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=2ahUKEwj...Jcits2XA8rCEXt

That's Eclipse's main claim to fame, ultra pure and filtered so it won't leave any residue. That's why they can charge hundreds of dollars a gallon for the stuff (lol).
That makes sense. Thanks for the link!