Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2018, 01:19 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good place to buy prime lenses in the UK

Ok people, some prime lenses are hard to find and also I am not sure you can check the quality of the lens looking at pictures on ebay.

The question is any ideas about good places to buy lenses in UK South East. I really try to avoid going to London for anything

Where do you go to buy lenses?

12-16-2018, 01:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfie665 Quote
Ok people, some prime lenses are hard to find and also I am not sure you can check the quality of the lens looking at pictures on ebay.

The question is any ideas about good places to buy lenses in UK South East. I really try to avoid going to London for anything

Camera fairs is your only other real option, junk stalls sometimes, I got a pristine 300mm adaptall with Nikon mount for 10GBP! It was not till I got home I realised it was not a zoom!
12-16-2018, 02:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Online, mainly eBay.

There's a camera shop that I've been to, and the main shop for Pentax in the UK are SRS Microsystems based in Watford.
12-16-2018, 02:37 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'm in Canada and have purchased online from Ffordes Photographic with complete satisfaction.

12-16-2018, 02:39 PM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, most sellers - whether individuals, "Mom 'n' Pop" photography shops (the few that are left), or larger photography suppliers - are using eBay as at least one of their marketing and distribution channels. So that would be (is, in fact) my first port of call. After that, it's worth searching on Gumtree as bargains can occasionally be found. If you have any local photography shops, by all means visit them and have a look at what they have to offer. Charity shops can be worth a look too, but most of the main charities also have a presence on eBay now, and in fact some of their goods only appear on eBay. Camera fairs are few and far between these days, but if you have one near you, no harm in looking...
12-16-2018, 02:43 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't know about the southeast, but here in the southwest Mifsuds in Brixham has usually got a good selection of Pentax manual and AF primes from APS-C up to medium format. Their prices can be a bit high though. And there's a real treasure trove of film era gear on the Barbican in Plymouth called SoPerfectImages. Only a fraction of their stock is ever listed on their website, so it's always worth giving them a call, and the place is an absolute joy to visit in person if you ever get a chance.
12-16-2018, 02:46 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'd also like to give a mention to the Oxfam Online Shop, but I also need to be clear that I'm an Oxfam volunteer so I do have a personal interest in making that recommendation. Mods, please feel free to remove this if I've violated a forum rule because of my personal association.

12-16-2018, 02:55 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Look at pentaxuser.com (UK "version" of Pentaxforums ) - we "give away" a lot of really good stuff at bargain prices!
12-16-2018, 02:58 PM   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
Look at pentaxuser.com (UK "version" of Pentaxforums ) - we "give away" a lot of really good stuff at bargain prices!
Despite the quotes and smiley, I'd just like to clarify that Pentaxuser isn't affiliated to PentaxForums - though it's definitely worth looking at, as indeed are any forums with "For Sale" sections, especially if you're looking at older prime lenses that might be compatible on multiple systems using adapters.

Plus, of course, we have the Marketplace here. We often have members in the UK and Europe selling equipment, and even members further afield who will ship to the UK
12-16-2018, 03:10 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfie665 Quote
The question is any ideas about good places to buy lenses in UK South East.
SRS Microsystems in Watford, 20 miles northwest from london.
srsmicrosystems.co.uk/pentax-shop/
SRS Pentax Refurbished / Ex-Demo Stock - All with 2 years warranty.
HD PENTAX-D FA? 50mm F1.4 SDM AW - Touch and Try Event at SRS (UK) - August 10th | PENTAXever.com
Pentax HD Pentax-D FA* 50mm F1.4 Lens Facebook Live event!

Last edited by angerdan; 12-16-2018 at 03:15 PM.
12-16-2018, 05:38 PM   #11

I have bought some nice M42 mount lenses from Rocky Cameras on Etsy.

Mike
Ps. this etsy store is in the UK
12-17-2018, 10:39 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I second SRS Microsystems. Bought my lenses from them when they had deals. Just bought a K and 28-105 last week. Excellent service.