Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-17-2018, 08:37 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentax HD & SMC Primes - which ones to sell/keep?

Strictly speaking, this thread is a crossover between marketplace talk & lens talk...
I was looking up Amazon Japan to check out used prime lenses for this third-hand Pentax K-3 body I'm planning to buy when I realized that the prices were much lower than what I'd pay if I were buying it new from the local retailer in my city. Now, while I'm not blind to the potential to earn money, I'm also conscious that the K-3 body still needs a lens before it can take pictures.

So here's the part where I ask advice from this forum... Given the below information, which lens or lenses would you want to buy & keep, and which ones would you try to resell?
Thank you!

HD DA 15mm
- Used from Amazon JPN: US$ 327
- New from Philippines retailer: US$ 751
- Difference: USD$ 424

SMC DA 21mm
- Used from Amazon JPN: US$ 199
- New from Philippines retailer: US$ 563
- Difference: USD$ 363

HD DA 21mm
- Used from Amazon JPN: US$ 285
- New from Philippines retailer: US$ 563
- Difference: USD$ 278

SMC DA 40mm
- Used from Amazon JPN: US$ 133
- New from Philippines retailer: US$ 506
- Difference: USD$ 374

12-17-2018, 09:08 AM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would not buy any to resell that I would not be willing to keep or take a loss on. In other words, just as you might purchase online to save money, your potential local buyers are free to do likewise with the result of a slow sale and/or loss with any attempt to "flip" a purchase.

Steve
12-17-2018, 09:39 PM   #3
Pentaxian

There's an important set of numbers missing: what are used Philippines prices? If they are similar to Japan prices for a lens in similar condition, buying used from Japan doesn't make much sense whether you want to keep the lens for yourself or try reselling it for a profit.