Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2018, 08:34 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Zenitar and mounts

Greetings !

So, first, let me apologize since it's a bit off-topic, but anyway, I was asking myself, as a soviet & russian lens fan, if Zenit finally resumed their lens production, and it seems that it's a yes ! But .... They gave up PK mount in favor of "C" (canon) and "N" (nikon) mounts... which thoroughly annoys me. So I was wondering if there was, maybe, a way to change the mount of these lenses... I'm asking as I don't know anything about nikon mount so I don't know if a modification is possible and would work. The only thing I know is that dummy "N" (AI) to PK adapters does not exists and are not possible for some reason. (even though dummy pentax K to Canon mount exists ... maybe there's a symmetry thing or I don't know what...). In case you were wondering, the lens that I'm showing interest into are Zenitar 28mm f/2.8 and Zenitar 85mm f/1.4 .

I do not really fear having to dismantle a lens, since manual lenses are quite simple, as long as you pay attention to what you're doing.

I apologize for my crappy English as it is not my native language,

Thank you all in advance.

12-20-2018, 10:49 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Sounds like a job for Leitax.

They are the experts in providing conversion kits so older lenses can fit new mounts. However, their main interest is in fitting old Leica R mount lenses, or Zeiss Contax manual lenses to newer mounts - including cinema mounts like the Arriflex.

I would think that if there were enough interest in such a conversion, it would be simpler and easier for Zenitar to just make the K mount available in the first place.

The only reason the lenses used to be available in K mount, was they made a camera in K mount when the old M42 became obsolete - just like Pentax did.
12-20-2018, 05:02 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Adapting across different mount systems has three limiting factors:

1. Obviously the mechanical differences of the bayonet or thread mount.
2. The register distance (the distance between lens mount and sensor/film plane for which you will get a sharp picture).
3. The diameter of the mount.

Generally it is easiest to adapt a lens from a system with a bigger register distance to a camera system with a smaller one. The bigger the difference, the more space you can use for the construction of the adapter.
If the register distance of the lens is smaller than that one of the camera, a glassless adapter would - at least - make a normal lens a macro only lens, and probably cause vignetting.
If the register distance of the lens is equal or nearly equal to that one of the camera, adapting sometimes is possible - if the diameter of the lens is smaller than the diameter of the camera system. That's why the M42-PK adapters are working. And this possibility also depends on how deep the lens will produde inside the camera (mirror damage possible).

Register distances are
Canon: 42.00 mm
Pentax K: 45.46 mm
Nikon F: 46.50 mm

So most SRL/DSLR lenses can easily get adapted to Canon and mirrorless systems (including rangefinders), but not vice versa.

Register distances and diameters you can find in the net, that's one:
Camera Mounts Sorted by Register
12-20-2018, 05:36 PM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote
Sounds like a job for Leitax.
Agreed. The 85mm f/1.4 and 50mm f/1.2 appears to be AIS with full manual diaphragm and should not be too hard to adapt.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote
I would think that if there were enough interest in such a conversion, it would be simpler and easier for Zenitar to just make the K mount available in the first place.
Yes, one would think. KMZ still sells M42 and K-mount versions of the 16mm fisheye, so the tech has not been completely retired.

Steve

12-21-2018, 04:52 AM   #5

Original Poster
I just sent a message to Zenit directly, let's see if they respond. At least I would've tried x). And I'll inform myself about Leitax, you got my attention ! Thanks about your replies everyone !
12-22-2018, 09:27 AM   #6

Original Poster
Okay, I sent a message to Leitax and they told me that the lens mount is not compatible, unfortunately. Apparentely I'll have to wait for Zenit to make K mount versions of their lenses...