Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2008, 12:31 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think I need a . .. . DA40 ltd?

I chose to get a K10d when the 20d came out - a purely economical decision. Of course, along those lines, Pentax was the way to go, what with the '80s lenses available to meet my needs.

So, I got the following:
A50/1.7
A70-210/4 (rarely mounted)
M28/2.8
and couldn't be happier with the variety and the left hand activity with focusing.

The problem now is that i would like to do some one-hand shooting and realize that an AF lens is a requirement for that freedom.

So, is it the right choice? (da40)

09-28-2008, 12:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Again, this is a question depending on what you shoot most of the time.

If your decision is based on buying the cheapest limited with autofocus function, you would have to rethink again.

Da 40mm is no doubt a great lens being so wonderful in every aspect of optical quality and the build quality being so compact and small. If you are not utilising this focal length of 40mm, this purchase would be a waste.

With the lenses you have, I suspect you enjoy occasional snaps of the surrounding and perhaps candids in the street where AF would be of tremendous help. Then Da 70mm might have been a better choice for your selection.
09-28-2008, 01:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

To be honest, for the price I don't think you'll ever look back and say "that was a bad purchase".
The sheer size of the thing gives it cred, but perhaps more importantly, it's sharp at all apertures. ( It has low issues in other artifacts too)
I say do it!

The only thing I'm realising is that the 50mm f1.7 is kinda tiny too, and if you have a katz eye focus screen it's amazing value as a purchase...

The 40mm seems to be a great lens if you just wanna get the shot...
Oh, and I must admit I don't own one .. lol (though I have the A50mm f1.7)
09-28-2008, 01:08 AM   #4
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with Ibam. For the money/performance ration, you'll never regret getting DA40. It's perfectly sharp straight from 2.8, peaks at 5.6 still excellent at 8 and 11. If size matters, you can't beat it. It's colour rendition and contrast are top quality. AF is really fast...
It's really lens to take everywhere. I use it mostly indoors, but it's a great outside too, maybe just tad narrow for streets...
But I'd give it 10/10.
BR Peter

09-28-2008, 03:41 AM   #5
Site Supporter

If cost is NOT an issue...

I'd pick the DA 35 Limited over the DA 40 Limited then consider adding a DA 70 Limited (or something else) should you discover a need for greater reach. I prefer a pairing of the DA 35 with my K20D. I find the versatility of the DA 35 useful as it provides a little more room to fine tune (PP crop) the end result's composition.

If cost IS an issue, get the DA 40 and don't look back. It's a great lens and you will love it!
09-28-2008, 03:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I too would go for the 35mm macro limited! its only 5mm short of 40mm and its macro too and great iq
09-28-2008, 05:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I's also suggest the DA 35ltd macro, but the DA 40ltd is also very good, focuses fast, super-duper sharp across the frame, and is a bit smaller - very light for 1-handed shots. You would like both.

Since you don't use your A 70-210 (why, btw, just curious,) you may want something longer, like the DA 70ltd.

09-28-2008, 07:25 AM   #8
Veteran Member

i tried both the 35 and 40 awhile ago and i just love them both. the 40 is a bit faster, tiny, and cheaper. the 35 has macro, focuses wickedly fast for a macro, and a better MF ring but is bigger. both are amazingly sharp but i'd give the edge to the 35, as the owner swears it has to be one of pentax's best lenses ever, sharpness, rendition and contrast.

but i'm not sure which one to get. it might just boil down to price and i'd be perfectly happy with the 40. heck it's almost half the price of the 35.

09-28-2008, 08:07 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the input guys. I think that in the next few weeks when I get some disposable resources, I'll be in the market for the DA40.

Cheap(er than the 35)
Sharp
Compact
(relatively) Fast focusing

jsherman99 - re: the 70-210 I just haven't been in need of a longer lens much.

Thanks,

John
09-28-2008, 08:36 PM   #10
Kei

I have my eyes on the DA 40mm for its price and size as well. I think it would be a good general purpose lens that make your setup discreet. The only thing I am not sure is how useful 40mm (effective 60mm on aps-c sensor) for indoor snapshots.

The DA35mm is in my radar for the distant future since I don't shoot a lot of macro. For now an extension tube/macro filter will do it for me.
09-28-2008, 10:06 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kei Quote
I have my eyes on the DA 40mm for its price and size as well. I think it would be a good general purpose lens that make your setup discreet. The only thing I am not sure is how useful 40mm (effective 60mm on aps-c sensor) for indoor snapshots.
That' going to be a personal thing. But I find it so close to perfect, if you were to offer me a free modification to make it either a tiny bit wider or a tiny bit longer, I would not take you up on it. It's basically perfect for me 90% of the time, and then 5% of the time I wish it were longer and 5% of the time I wish it were shorter. I suppose the advantage of a 35 is you could always crop, but in my view, that's exactly what I'd be doing - always cropping.
09-29-2008, 12:48 AM   #12
axl
Veteran Member

very

QuoteOriginally posted by Kei Quote
It's very useful indoors. You can use it straight from 2.8 and it's sharp. As for the FOV, 2-3m you won't have problem to frame 2-3 people, from around 1-1.5 m you'll easily get upper half of body of an adult. I was bit afraid about the 40mm focal length too, but it's not an issue, not at all...
09-29-2008, 02:34 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I absolutely love mine.
09-30-2008, 08:04 PM   #14
Site Supporter

I splurged on the DA 40mm with my DSLR purchase, after I realized my M 50mm lenses were just a little too long. It is great for candid portraits of my 2 daughters, together or apart; and it handles landscape shots very well too. The front cap is a little funny, but you can just leave it off for most of the day. Everytime I switch back to this lens from one of the others in my mangy collection, I marvel at the first shot or two - "Why do I ever take this lens off?" Of course it will not focus that close, and the maximum magnification isn't that high - if it could even do 1:4, it would never come off my camera.

I did recently get an F 35-70mm zoom, and that is a great little lens too. Doesn't focus quite as fast as the 40mm, but has the extra range and semi-macro capabillities. I haven't done head-to-head testing, but I may end up using it more than the 40mm lens.