Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2018, 01:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
LBA bugs me again: Sigma 30 vs Pentax 55

It's been a long time since I last purchased a lens, the Tamron 17-50. I have now a lot of lenses to use with the KP that my photographic ability (and my time) can't cope with their potential: the DA ltd 15, 20-40, 70, the fast zoom Tamron 17-50, the travel zoom 18-135, and the telezoom 55-300. Also there is the F50 1.7 as the fast and portrait lens when I need it.

Until recently I started to want a new lens. This is my need wish:

- A fast normal lens, mostly to take photo of my 3yr daughter indoor. The 20-40 and F50 are fine, but 20-40 is slow to use indoor, and F50 is very tight. I own a Sigma 30 Ex DC before, but sold it when I needed some money, now I wish to have it back. If I decide to go with the Sigma again I may try this time with the Art version. There is also the F28 which is quite highly regarded, but I'm afraid f2.8 is not a lot faster than my 20-40, which is 3.5 at 28mm

- This is even further away from my need, but I always wonder how much better the DA* 55 is, as compared with my F50 and DA 70? probably not much, especially considering my limited experience, but it's very tempting, especially the price used is reasonable. The SDM scares me though.

Price of both used Sigma 30 Art and DA* 55 are similar.

What are your thoughts? Do I, should I pick 1 of them? For sure getting both is not feasible, for now

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

12-26-2018, 01:21 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bui Quote
It's been a long time since I last purchased a lens, the Tamron 17-50. I have now a lot of lenses to use with the KP that my photographic ability (and my time) can't cope with their potential: the DA ltd 15, 20-40, 70, the fast zoom Tamron 17-50, the travel zoom 18-135, and the telezoom 55-300. Also there is the F50 1.7 as the fast and portrait lens when I need it.

Until recently I started to want a new lens. This is my need wish:

- A fast normal lens, mostly to take photo of my 3yr daughter indoor. The 20-40 and F50 are fine, but 20-40 is slow to use indoor, and F50 is very tight. I own a Sigma 30 Ex DC before, but sold it when I needed some money, now I wish to have it back. If I decide to go with the Sigma again I may try this time with the Art version. There is also the F28 which is quite highly regarded, but I'm afraid f2.8 is not a lot faster than my 20-40, which is 3.5 at 28mm

- This is even further away from my need, but I always wonder how much better the DA* 55 is, as compared with my F50 and DA 70? probably not much, especially considering my limited experience, but it's very tempting, especially the price used is reasonable. The SDM scares me though.

Price of both used Sigma 30 Art and DA* 55 are similar.

What are your thoughts? Do I, should I pick 1 of them? For sure getting both is not feasible, for now

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
I would buy the 40mm XS LTD f2.8...aside from its small light weight, boy does this little pancake lens deliver...on the KP it will have 60mm (on 35mm compatibility) and is fast enough inside to satisfy shooting inside....it can also be stepped down and as a "prime lens" it can be adjusted by you moving in and out of your subject's space....The price (about $375, also doesn't hurt too much). good luck in your quest.
12-26-2018, 02:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I own neither lens, but asked myself the same question last year. Both lenses get similar reviews: wide open center sharpness is OK, but for sharpness corner to corner you need to step them down. The question is: do you get the results you desire when shooting wide open? Because that’s the reason to go for a fast lens. Since you were happy with the Sigma 30 EX, I assume both lenses will do.

For me the big difference is, that the 30 is a normal lens while the 55 is rather a portrait lens. So the decision may come down to the question, what kind of shots of your daughter you intend to take.

I choose the Sigma 35 Art because of the phenomenal IQ, but that lens comes with a very slow focus, so nothing I can recommend for photographing kids.
12-26-2018, 03:09 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I think it depends quite a bit on how much room you expect to have indoors - i.e. how much distance you'll typically have between your daughter and the camera. A 50 or 55mm lens on APS-C is going to be pretty tight for indoor use in a typical home, IMHO. Merv's suggestion of 40mm might work, but I still feel it's just a little tight. Personally, I'd look at 35mm and below.

The Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Art is a lovely lens and produces beautiful images - but you need to be aware of it's strengths and weaknesses. Centre performance is good wide open, and excellent from f/2, but away from the centre it's not decently sharp until at least f/2.8 (ideally f/4 for best results). So you need to consider if you'll be happy composing most of your photos with your daughter in centre of the frame if shooting at apertures faster than f/2.8. Furthermore, numerous people have experienced AF issues with this lens when using anything other than the centre focus point.

An inexpensive option would be the DA35 f/2.4. Although not a fast lens as such, it performs so well wide open that you can set it at f/2.4 for indoor use and leave it there. If you intend to compose photos with your daughter anywhere other than centre of frame, you'll get better resolution with this lens at f/2.4 than you would with the Sigma at f/2.8. And I think f/2.4 should be fast enough, given the KP's excellent higher ISO noise characteristics.

There are other choices such as the FA 31mm f/1.8 and Sigma 35mm f/1.4, but they're considerably more expensive - especially the FA31

12-26-2018, 03:23 AM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think you should also consider the FA35 f2.0, Bui. There are lots of choices.
12-26-2018, 03:29 AM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Missed if you indicated a budget range but

I also suggest a 40mm, either the excellent Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited or it's very similar cousin, the best lens in its class without a doubt, the SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 XS but as has been noted, will either be " too tight " ? I don't own the 35mm but I own the others and like them alot

if you haven't already done so, check out the In Depth Review about those lenses and the well regarded Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4:

Pentax DA 35mm F2.4 vs 40mm XS vs 40mm Limited Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-da-35mm-f24-al/introduction.html?src=lrdb

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-26-2018 at 03:39 AM.
12-26-2018, 03:32 AM - 1 Like   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I think you should also consider the FA35 f2.0, Bui. There are lots of choices.
I can't believe I forgot to mention the FA35/2... That's a great candidate for the OP's use case.

12-26-2018, 03:35 AM   #8
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

lots of choices - Sigma 28/1.8 EX DG or 50/1.4 EX DG can be had used for considerably less than either of the options you are looking at....
12-26-2018, 05:10 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The 55 is a very nice lens for portraiture -- basically covering the 85mm equivalent on APS-C. I've not had any issues with SDM failure on my DA*55, but the auto focus is pretty slow. I still have used it a lot for landscape and for portraits of my kids (I'm not a pro).

12-26-2018, 07:08 AM   #10

Do you need AF? If not then you could go with something like the Vivitar 28mm F2. It's a good performer and can still be had pretty cheap 2nd hand.
12-26-2018, 07:18 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It wasn't on your list, but if you start thinking of something 40ish, don't forget the 43 limited. Really has some magic to it. And as mentioned earlier, while pricier, the 31 limited should be on the short list in that focal length range. I have the Sigma Art 35, and that is a wonderful lens too, but much heavier and larger.
12-26-2018, 07:22 AM   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by niblue Quote
Do you need AF? If not then you could go with something like the Vivitar 28mm F2. It's a good performer and can still be had pretty cheap 2nd hand.
I have a Kino Precision Japan Kiron 28mm F2 MC P/KA

and except when " operator error " strikes, it does a good job

Kiron is one of the manufacturers whose lens were also sold under the " Vivitar " name
12-26-2018, 07:37 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I own the FA 31 and FA 35. The 35 is a very good value. I previously owned the DA 35. That lens never spoke to me. But others make it sing.

On a budget. One of the two 35's above is my recommendation. But to be fair I've not used the Sigma.

The DA 55 doesn't fit your needs. It is narrower than what you have and falls to solve the issue. The Sigma 18-35 seems a natural fit. But rampant stories of focus inaccuracy make that a hard sell.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 12-26-2018 at 08:50 AM.
12-26-2018, 08:15 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I have the Sigma 30 EX (non-Art) and the FA 31. For people indoors, I always reach for the Sigma. It’s just better for that sort of thing. I tend to use center point focus in these sorts of situations and the center performance of the Sigma is unequaled. For your use case specifically, I think it’s a great low-cost solution. They aren’t very expensive used.
12-26-2018, 08:53 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
I have the Sigma 30 EX (non-Art) and the FA 31. For people indoors, I always reach for the Sigma. It’s just better for that sort of thing. I tend to use center point focus in these sorts of situations and the center performance of the Sigma is unequaled. For your use case specifically, I think it’s a great low-cost solution. They aren’t very expensive used.
What about the Sigma 30 EX makes it better to use than the FA 31 for indoor shots of people?