Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-27-2018, 11:07 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Gift Card! Suggestions?

All,

I received a gift card from my mother for Christmas this year, from Robert's Camera in Indianapolis. Now, I'm trying to decide what to do with it.

I've been enjoying astrophotography, so I was considering getting either a K-3 II (I have a K-3 now), a GPS, a tracking mount, or some combination. Another option is, since I now use a Soligor f/8 450mm and a Tamron Adaptall-2 60-300 (with T/C) for astro, is to get a longer prime or zoom lens. However, if I want to do more "deep sky" objects, with longer exposure, some sort of tracking would be a necessity. Right now, Robert's doesn't have much in the way of long zooms or primes in stock, but that's not to say they won't in the future.

I'll probably get at least a good pan / tilt tripod head.

Finally, while I got a Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 AF XR Di LD, it has softness issues which I haven't been able to pinpoint. However, it seems fine wide open at 2.8, so it could be a good astro lens. However, I could probably also use an indoor wide zoom that doesn't have such issues. For instance:

Sigma 17-50 2.8, currently $369.
Pentax DA 16-50 2.8, currently $353 - $496

Thoughts? What would you do?

12-27-2018, 05:00 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you are at all serious in the long run about astrophotography, I'd think about a tracking mount. You can then experiment with your various cameras and lenses, to see what you might like/need next. The ability to take long(er) exposures can compensate for larger f-stop lenses.
12-27-2018, 05:55 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
If you are at all serious in the long run about astrophotography, I'd think about a tracking mount. You can then experiment with your various cameras and lenses, to see what you might like/need next. The ability to take long(er) exposures can compensate for larger f-stop lenses.
Dave,

I think that's a good idea. It looks like the major brands out there are:

Skywatcher - Sky-Watcher USA – We put you at the center of our universe!

Astrotrac - AstroTrac | Tracking Camera Mount | UK

Starsync - StarSyncTrackers Online Store

Baader - NanoTracker travel mount (incl. Mini-USB)

iOptron - https://www.ioptron.com/

Vixen - https://www.vixenoptics.com/

Do you know of others to consider?
12-27-2018, 06:14 PM - 1 Like   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jawats Quote
All,

I received a gift card from my mother for Christmas this year, from Robert's Camera in Indianapolis. Now, I'm trying to decide what to do with it.

I've been enjoying astrophotography, so I was considering getting either a K-3 II (I have a K-3 now), a GPS, . . . However, if I want to do more "deep sky" objects, with longer exposure, some sort of tracking would be a necessity. . . .
the K 3 II has built in GPS and " Astrotracker "

Pentax K-3 II Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-k-3-ii-review/gps.html

I am not suggesting you substitute " Astrotracker " for the tracker mount suggested by AstroDave

or there is this for the K 3: Pentax O-GPS1 GPS Unit

https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-o-gps1-gps-unit/introduction.html?src=lrdb

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-27-2018 at 06:21 PM.
12-27-2018, 07:04 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jawats Quote
Do you know of others to consider?
Do you know of any local astronomy clubs? These are usually full of folks with helpful ideas (and maybe used equipment). Go to one of their meetings and see what the locals have to offer. The wealth of practical info in such groups is hard to believe!

That's more-or-less how I got my tracking mount (via a Friends of Lowell Observatory event) for a very nice price.