Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-28-2018, 11:19 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Exposure data of AF film lens on DSLR

Please excuse my dumb question, I use 2 old film lenses on my K3, namely the Tamron 28-200mm and the Pentax 80-320mm, I don't see focal length data shown on the playback only aperture, shutter speed and ISO is that normal ?

12-28-2018, 11:32 PM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi lotech, I believe the lenses in question predate the internal chips required to " communicate " with your DSLR.
12-28-2018, 11:48 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes, I just thought even film camera will need such information to produce proper exposure especially will flash
12-28-2018, 11:57 PM   #4
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
The sensor ( or film ) don't really need/rely on the focal length, just the amount of light reaching either of them. So aperture, shutter speed and ISO ( ASA ) are the only critical information needed for manual operation or AUTO.

12-29-2018, 12:06 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the lenses are autofocus, you should be getting focal length info. Perhaps cleaning the contacts on the camera mount would help.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-29-2018, 12:43 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I've 2 lenses lacking that info but digital lens ok so I guess that's compatibility problem nothing major
12-29-2018, 09:23 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I don’t know which vintage your Tamron is, but I had the ‘Tamron-inspired’ Pentax 28-200, and it did fine.

I’d have thought the 80-320 would have also provided FL, since it’s a FA lens... I’d check the contacts and turn the camera off then on again with the lens mounted...

As an addendum, I was told years ago that all Pentax lenses from the F-series on encoded focus distance as well as FL.

-Eric

12-29-2018, 09:41 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 80-320 should provide focal length to the camera. I don't know about the other lens. Clean the lens mount carefully, I use a bit of isopropal alcohol on a Q-tip or cloth. Then check to make sure all the "bearings" are able to be pressed in and snap back out. One may be stuck and not making contact with the camera mount.
12-29-2018, 10:01 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just as a a sort of reversal of the original question, I'm assuming that lens identification came in with the MTF optimisation programmed exposure, since there were no data recoded on film 25 years or so back - is this correct?

Last edited by ffking; 12-29-2018 at 10:33 AM.
12-29-2018, 10:17 AM - 1 Like   #10
ne!
Forum Member

Hmmm, I’m not sure if this will help, but from reading your question I wonder if you need to switch info modes on image play back?

On my K-1, the standard information page shows the parameters you mention, but if I hit the info button and switch to a detailed page, I can see the focal length as well as other information. There is also a histogram-view mode on image playback.
12-29-2018, 10:45 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Oh yes you are right, I completely forgot where I saw the detail info., I only recall from memory without actually check with a DA lens, there is not enough room to jam in the full detail on the playback screen, now I can see the FL detail of the shots I shoot with the old lens on the info. page , sorry guys for misleading !
QuoteOriginally posted by ne! Quote
Hmmm, I’m not sure if this will help, but from reading your question I wonder if you need to switch info modes on image play back?

On my K-1, the standard information page shows the parameters you mention, but if I hit the info button and switch to a detailed page, I can see the focal length as well as other information. There is also a histogram-view mode on image playback.
01-01-2019, 06:02 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Just as a a sort of reversal of the original question, I'm assuming that lens identification came in with the MTF optimisation programmed exposure, since there were no data recoded on film 25 years or so back - is this correct?
I'm not sure about lens identification as such, but the F lenses provided the set focal length to the SFX/SF7 cameras - they used it for tweaking the standard program mode (wide, standard or tele as shown on the LCD) and for warning if flash coverage wouldn't cover the whole frame.