Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
12-29-2018, 11:15 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

HELP A Sears 60-300mm is stuck on my K-1

So I bought this lens at an antique store. It was mounted on a Pentax film camera and I wondered if I could use it. It came off of the film camera, but it wont come off of the K-1. Now I realize that this Sears lens has the dreaded Ricoh pin which is caught in the autofocus recess in the K-1 mount.

After some research, I have tried the wiggle and hope method and I have tried to get a .004 inch feeler gauge to get the pin back where it needs to be to get the lens off. The hint to toggle the autofocus switch back and forth on the camera to push the pin away from the camera is not helping. I don't think the autofocus is doing anything because the lens is not fully mounted (it got stuck) or the camera knows that it is a manual focus lens.

Any suggestions?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 80D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 80D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 80D  Photo 
12-29-2018, 11:54 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
oh my

good luck

have you seen this:

The Canonical Stuck Lens Information thread

Ricoh pin removal {tag}: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

All Right...I did it....Ricoh Pin Lens is STUCK! - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com
12-29-2018, 12:36 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When you toggle the AF/MF switch to the AF position, the AF gear pushes out past the flange mount. It is spring loaded, so it only exerts a small amount of pressure on the pin. With the switch in the AF position, work with the smallest feeler gauge you can locate, working it into the mount at the point that directly correlates to the AF/MF switch. Be patient and you will be able to release the lens.

Good Luck!
12-29-2018, 05:59 PM   #4

Doesn't the A(P) mode on the lens retract and lower the pin?

12-30-2018, 02:57 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Doesn't the A(P) mode on the lens retract and lower the pin?
No. Automotive feeler gauge best way to dismount the lens.
12-31-2018, 01:24 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
More questions

Does this Sears pin have the rounded tip or the flat tip? Should the camera be off or on when I use the auto - manual focus toggle switch?
12-31-2018, 01:48 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Doesn't matter if the camera is on or off as far as what you're trying to accomplish. I would leave it off.

I would imagine that the pin itself is square shouldered which is why this is being so difficult.

I did the same thing you did once with a different lens and my K-5 II. Just work the A/MF switch with some light pressure on the feeler gauge so that it can slip between the flanges of the camera and lens. Once that happens, rotate and remove the lens.

12-31-2018, 01:51 PM - 1 Like   #8

I don't know if the pin is rounded or not. Usually round pins don't often cause a problem.

It shouldn't matter if the camera is on or not, the screwdrive shaft extends or retracts regardless. The shaft is spring loaded so which ever has the stronger spring wins.
12-31-2018, 07:01 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Options

1. Continue with the feeler gauges that I have, .005 inch and thinner.

2. Get a .005 inch thick saw blade for a dremel and cut the pin.

3. Get a hacksaw and cut the lens tube an inch or so from the camera leaving the lens closest to the camera intact and try to find and pry the flange to release the pin.

4. Send the mess to KEH and pay $300 + shipping...
12-31-2018, 07:09 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would be scared to use a saw blade to cut the pin while the lens is mounted. It sounds like a good way to get debris into the camera body and nick up the mount on the body at the same time.

I would fine a different shop than KEH if they want $300 to do this. I don't know where you are; there's a shop in Topeka that I like working with that is very reasonable but other options exist.
12-31-2018, 07:13 PM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I would be scared to use a saw blade to cut the pin while the lens is mounted. It sounds like a good way to get debris into the camera body and nick up the mount on the body at the same time.

I would fine a different shop than KEH if they want $300 to do this. I don't know where you are; there's a shop in Topeka that I like working with that is very reasonable but other options exist.
I believe pres589 may be talking about Wolfe's

Wolfe's Camera Shop | Topeka KS
12-31-2018, 07:24 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nope! Phototronic; http://www.phototronictopeka.com/
12-31-2018, 07:43 PM   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I've seen it but never visited
12-31-2018, 07:59 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Go if you need something fixed. He kind of... doesn't do anything for less than $65 as he bills an hour for more than a few minute's time. But I've been generally happy with working with the guy that owns the place and have learned from him. I think once he figured out I was serious and not some wanna-be with a film camera as a fad move, he was pretty receptive.

He also doesn't sell anything, as a general rule, so if you want to purchase cameras or lenses, it's not your stop.
12-31-2018, 08:28 PM   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Go if you need something fixed. He kind of... doesn't do anything for less than $65 as he bills an hour for more than a few minute's time. But I've been generally happy with working with the guy that owns the place and have learned from him. I think once he figured out I was serious and not some wanna-be with a film camera as a fad move, he was pretty receptive.

He also doesn't sell anything, as a general rule, so if you want to purchase cameras or lenses, it's not your stop.
good to know

thanks