Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-30-2018, 05:04 AM   #1

SMC DA 12-24mm and filters

Dear forum members,

I'd like to take landscape shots with the DA 12-24mm and ND filters. For this I bought Haida ND1000 Square Optical Glass Neutral Density Filter 83mm x 95mm for Cokin P ND3.0 ND (this one). Sometimes results are how I expected them, but a lot of times it produces pictures like these (converted as is from raw):

another one:

Any thoughts on this? Is the filter to small for the lens? Which filter would you recommend ? Lee-filters are way to expensive for me, but maybe I should switch to haidas pro 100 series?
I'd love to see pictures with the 12-24 and haidas 1000x ND filter.

Kind regards,

Ralf

12-30-2018, 05:10 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't seem to see the photos - could you fix the links please?
Also, is there a reason why you don't just have standard threaded 77mm filters for this lens? They just screw right onto the front.
12-30-2018, 05:51 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
wide angle lenses and filters are not a good combination. based on my own experience they may work better if sun is not too strong. if not you are going to run into the same problem.
12-30-2018, 05:54 AM   #4

Not sure if you are the one reviewing it over on amazon or not but here is one of the two reviews currently.

QuoteQuote:
terrible image quality, create a circle halo effect on your picture.
The possibility exists that these filters are just not that good.

Edit: The link above seems to be something automatically made by the forum itself, I didn't post any hyperlinks.

I am however referring to re-views which can be seen on the amazon page referenced by OP.

Last edited by krazny; 12-30-2018 at 12:41 PM.
12-30-2018, 06:16 AM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I’ve has no problem with a Marumi CPL on this lens, giving me sharp images each time.
12-30-2018, 06:59 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I can't seem to see the photos - could you fix the links please?
Also, is there a reason why you don't just have standard threaded 77mm filters for this lens? They just screw right onto the front.
Hm, strange, I can see the pictures in any of my browser. Here are the links:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=16DPB350YWvm9K2ARnLNU2Ltr3PhwVCA2

and

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WMot0M06LTnHLqrBGK8lVI3f6X28Ah8S.

Can you see them now?

I decided to use filter adapters for 2 reasons: I only have to buy the adapters and not the whole filter and I can use them together with gradient filters if necessary. I always thought that HAIDA filters are quite high quality. Maybe the distance between filter adapter and lens is to wide so light gets in from behind ?

---------- Post added 12-30-18 at 07:03 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by krazny Quote
Not sure if you are the one reviewing it over on amazon or not but here is one of the two reviews currently.

The possibility exists that these filters are just not that good.
Hi krazny,

sorry, but I cant resolve the link you posted. Well, I heard quite the opposite, Haida producing quite good filters (at least nowadays). I have some threaded versions that I use with the 16-45mm and they produce pictures that are great.
12-30-2018, 07:31 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep, I see them now.
Wow, that's a huge amount of flare and central rings forming in those images. Would have to be a misplaced filter allowing light leak between the layers. I'd go with the screw on filters, never a problem with them:

Underground by Ash

12-30-2018, 07:48 AM   #8
Pentaxian

The only filter I use on my Pentax 12-24 is a B+W clear filter. I rarely get flare.
12-30-2018, 08:00 AM   #9

Original Poster
Okay, so You all tend to say it's the filter and not the lens? That's what I thought, and I guess that ash is right to say that light leaks are the reason for this
Well, maybe I have to rethink my "filter strategy" and by, only for the 12-24, a threaded one.
Thx everybody!
12-30-2018, 10:28 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have the regular Cokin resin filters for Cokin P. Even with "just" 3-4 stops (for example, one nd and one graduated), I sometimes have to watch for light leaks, and they're less obvious than what you posted.

The first photo you showed is typical: sun just out of the frame, some stray light enters at an angle above the filter. Instead of buying more filters, you could try to seal the space between the lens and the filter. It's simpler to use a single system than to manage step down rings between different lenses in addition to the square filter adapter.
Here's a tutorial that covers multiple aspects of light leaks, including square filters Long Exposure Tutorial: Eliminating Light Leaks | Mabry Campbell Photo Blog

(btw, I like my screw in 10 stop haida, I got it in 49mm for da limited and it was affordable)

Last edited by aaacb; 12-30-2018 at 10:36 AM.
12-30-2018, 11:06 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
I have the regular Cokin resin filters for Cokin P. Even with "just" 3-4 stops (for example, one nd and one graduated), I sometimes have to watch for light leaks, and they're less obvious than what you posted.

The first photo you showed is typical: sun just out of the frame, some stray light enters at an angle above the filter. Instead of buying more filters, you could try to seal the space between the lens and the filter. It's simpler to use a single system than to manage step down rings between different lenses in addition to the square filter adapter.
Here's a tutorial that covers multiple aspects of light leaks, including square filters Long Exposure Tutorial: Eliminating Light Leaks | Mabry Campbell Photo Blog

(btw, I like my screw in 10 stop haida, I got it in 49mm for da limited and it was affordable)
Thanks a lot for the link, will read it definitely! I actually don't want to buy too much filters, but if it's to awkward to seal the space every time I'll think about buying Haida Pro 100, because the problem of light leaks seems to be much better solved there.
12-30-2018, 11:17 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was using Formatt Hitech grad nd filters with Cokin P Frame on 12-24. It vignettes at the widest end.

IMO the artifacts in the images appear to be reflections on the back side of the drop in ND filter. Would you by chance have a UV filter installed to protect your w/a zoom? You might find removing the UV filter improves results.
12-30-2018, 12:44 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by rullrich Quote
Hi krazny,

sorry, but I cant resolve the link you posted. Well, I heard quite the opposite, Haida producing quite good filters (at least nowadays). I have some threaded versions that I use with the 16-45mm and they produce pictures that are great.
The quote I made was taken from the amazon site you posted in your original post. If you check the reviews there were 2 ratings, one 5 star and another 1 star. My quote is the 1 star review.
12-30-2018, 01:43 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by krazny Quote

The quote I made was taken from the amazon site you posted in your original post. If you check the reviews there were 2 ratings, one 5 star and another 1 star. My quote is the 1 star review.
Okay, now I see what you mean Thank You.

---------- Post added 12-30-18 at 01:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
I was using Formatt Hitech grad nd filters with Cokin P Frame on 12-24. It vignettes at the widest end.

IMO the artifacts in the images appear to be reflections on the back side of the drop in ND filter. Would you by chance have a UV filter installed to protect your w/a zoom? You might find removing the UV filter improves results.
No, there were no other filters installed besides the one from haida. I believe You are right, reflections on the back are the problem. I'll test that again tomorrow with a towel to seal the gap.
12-30-2018, 03:39 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rullrich Quote
reflections on the back are the problem
You can see the front of your lens around the center of your pictures - so definitely a lot of reflection going on!