Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2019, 03:51 PM   #1

Lens error - Super Takumar 35mm f3.5 on Canon body

Hi guys,

I am new to this forum and hope this is the right place for this post...

I have a SMC version of this M42 lens, and use it on my Canon 6d Mark ii body with a cheap adapter from Amazon.
The lens error happens when focus close to infinity or beyond infinity (based on depth-of-field scale reading).
It works fine when I rotate the focus ring back to shorter focus distance, e.g., less than 10 meters.
It seems more severe when aperture set to f3.5 compared with f8 or f11.

Things I have tried:
- put this lens to Canon 70d APS-C body, and no problem at all
- other lens (Canon/Sigma) does not have issue at all on the 6d mark ii body

Any thoughts?

Thanks
-Leon

01-01-2019, 04:03 PM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello & welcome

What is the error you're observing? Is it that you can't reach infinity when focusing? Or is the mirror hitting the rear of the lens when you shoot a frame? With some wide angle lenses, the optical block extends so far back into the camera body when the lens is focused at infinity that it will foul the mirror or other mechanical elements of the camera...
01-01-2019, 04:29 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for your reply.

The error is actually from Canon body saying error 20, seems to be shutter related.

I am only aware there is a pin on some M42 lens which might hit the mirror, but not other parts. But I do see that the lens extends into the body when focusing towards infinity, which I am not aware before ... Maybe this is the root cause ...
01-01-2019, 10:09 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
5DIII and old manual focus M42 lenses: Canon EOS-1D / 5D / 6D Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

It's in the way of the mirror. Pentax has an interesting mirror in the k-1 that moves inward as it swings to reduce clearance issues. The apsc Canon bodies have smaller mirrors which is why this isn't a problem on those bodies.

01-02-2019, 11:26 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the info!

Lucky that my 6d mirror is not broken ...