Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2008, 08:43 AM   #16

Original Poster
Thanks.

Actually any close focusing lens will work in here. The infrared transmitter stuff is handy as I hate using sinc cords. Tilt-Shift lenses are wonderful. I recently got mine. I mainly bought the 45mm TS-E Tilt-Shift lens to do panoramic landscape shots and architecture. Basically you position the camera on a tripod, take one photo with the lens in its normal position and then two others shifted right and left respectively. Its then a snap to stitch the shots together, giving you a large file that looks like it was taken with a wide angle lens. But the quality is much higher.

When I shot my new Takumar I used this lens as I could Tilt the lens a bit which created more depth of focus at 5.6. Without the tilt I would have had to have the lens stopped way down which would have been hard for the flash to keep up with.

Pentax used to make a Shift lens with no Tilt capability. But a Shift lens can be a useful tool though. Not sure what they go for used. I think I will use the search function here to find out if there has been any chatter about it...

Max

PS: really enjoyed visiting your city of Adelaide a couple of years ago.

09-30-2008, 08:59 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Photomaximum Quote
Thanks.

Actually any close focusing lens will work in here. The infrared transmitter stuff is handy as I hate using sinc cords. Tilt-Shift lenses are wonderful. I recently got mine. I mainly bought the 45mm TS-E Tilt-Shift lens to do panoramic landscape shots and architecture. Basically you position the camera on a tripod, take one photo with the lens in its normal position and then two others shifted right and left respectively. Its then a snap to stitch the shots together, giving you a large file that looks like it was taken with a wide angle lens. But the quality is much higher.

When I shot my new Takumar I used this lens as I could Tilt the lens a bit which created more depth of focus at 5.6. Without the tilt I would have had to have the lens stopped way down which would have been hard for the flash to keep up with.

Pentax used to make a Shift lens with no Tilt capability. But a Shift lens can be a useful tool though. Not sure what they go for used. I think I will use the search function here to find out if there has been any chatter about it...

Max

PS: really enjoyed visiting your city of Adelaide a couple of years ago.
funny you talk about the TS-E, yesterday i was thinking i really wanted to get a TS-E and a 5D when i have a chance to go to NYC but convinced myself not to. Pentax has the 28mm shift which goes for like $400-500 used? i think JCSullivan sold one in the marketplace. but i tilt is much more fun than shift. the hartblei and the arax ones don't seem to be worth the effort.
09-30-2008, 09:10 AM   #18

Original Poster
There is a lot of chatter about Shift and Tilt-Shift lenses. Right now the brand new Nikons are supposed to be great but Nikon is asking near $2000 for them. Ouch! Canon makes three versions. People complain that the Canon 24 version is soft in the corners. I think the Pentax one has the same issue. Supposedly the older Olympus wide angle Shift lens is much better. Used prices are high as well.
09-30-2008, 09:10 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Max not sure if anyone has mentioned to get the yellow tint out of the glass you can put it in direct sunlight. I think it takes a few days. Another good Tak performer is the 28 f3.5. The 17 f4 fish eye is great too but a little more expensive when you can find one.

09-30-2008, 09:36 AM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
Max not sure if anyone has mentioned to get the yellow tint out of the glass you can put it in direct sunlight. I think it takes a few days. Another good Tak performer is the 28 f3.5. The 17 f4 fish eye is great too but a little more expensive when you can find one.
Thanks! I did some reading on the subject (lots of info here.) Its sitting in my window now, wrapped in tin foil. Can't wait for the M42 adaptor to arrive so I can test drive the Tak.

This will be the first Pentax screw mount lens I have used. I love how smooth the focus ring is: way better than all the modern auto focus lenses out there.
09-30-2008, 09:39 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

There's one right now on eBay for $850. They are kind of expensive.
09-30-2008, 09:42 AM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
There's one right now on eBay for $850. They are kind of expensive.

Wow! I paid $775 for my clean Canon 45mm/2.8 Tilt-Shift lens. I wonder if the Pentax fleabay seller is just fishing? Sounds way too high...

09-30-2008, 10:04 AM   #23
MrA

Wow! I paid $775 for my clean Canon 45mm/2.8 Tilt-Shift lens. I wonder if the Pentax fleabay seller is just fishing? Sounds way too high...
The pricing might be aimed at europe.
09-30-2008, 10:26 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Thanks! I did some reading on the subject (lots of info here.) Its sitting in my window now, wrapped in tin foil. Can't wait for the M42 adaptor to arrive so I can test drive the Tak.

This will be the first Pentax screw mount lens I have used. I love how smooth the focus ring is: way better than all the modern auto focus lenses out there.
Max are you getting an adapter ring for the Canon or your LX or both?

And Yes those Tak's are a treat to focus. In modern lenses Pentax still excels for manual focus. The 43 31 and 77 LTD's are superb manual focus lenses. They even have an aperture ring. The even more modern DA 21 40 70 LTD's are great manual focus lenses as well. They have a great quickshift feature that allows manual focus even when autofocus is engaged.

One thing though please don't let us know if you do get a wonderful lens like the A50 f1.2 or the A15 f3.5 that you hack the mount to fit on your Canon.
09-30-2008, 10:42 AM   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
Max are you getting an adapter ring for the Canon or your LX or both?

And Yes those Tak's are a treat to focus. In modern lenses Pentax still excels for manual focus. The 43 31 and 77 LTD's are superb manual focus lenses. They even have an aperture ring. The even more modern DA 21 40 70 LTD's are great manual focus lenses as well. They have a great quickshift feature that allows manual focus even when autofocus is engaged.

One thing though please don't let us know if you do get a wonderful lens like the A50 f1.2 or the A15 f3.5 that you hack the mount to fit on your Canon.
Right now I am waiting for the M42 ring for the Canon. I might later get the ring for the bayonet mount Pentax as well.

One of the interesting things about the Canon EOS mount is its short flange to focal plane distance. Its shorter than most manufacturers which means that its possible to mount adapters and use many lenses, new and old from other brands. Its not nearly as doable on a Nikon. A lot of camera tinkerers choose the Canon platform for this very reason. A lot of people, me included, think that the Canon wide angles do not perform as well as they should. Its becoming very popular to mount the new Nikon 14-24 G lens onto the Canon. Same thing with some Zeiss, Contax, Olympus, Pentax and Minolta glass. Part of the recent trend for the price surge on specific classic lenses is coming from the emerging interest from Canon users. One of the most sought after lenses is the Rokkor 58mm/1.2 lens which has tripled in value recently, if you can find one...

I use the 5D. Some 5D bodies will need extra work to mount other lenses. This can include slightly shaving the bottom of the mirror and modifying the rear of the "alternative" lens being mounted. I hate to say it but some Canon users will take a Pentax K lens and snip off the the rear aperture lever - the so-called aperture leverectomy. Doing so will prevent the protruding lever from hitting the Canon mirror.

So, after thinking about this and the higher than expected prices on the 50/1.2 I decided to go with the 1.4 Tak instead: no aperture lever. Snipping off the lever on the 50/1.2 will reduce the resale value of the lens. But the adapter ring for the Tak is a simple screw on - screw off affair with no harm done.

Last edited by Photomaximum; 09-30-2008 at 01:12 PM.
09-30-2008, 12:17 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Max in that case then the Tak's are your best bet.

For wide angle you should look into the 17mm f4 fish eye. It is very compact. You can check the review data base too. I think the 28 f3.5 Taks get high marks. One other Tak lens that is very inexpensive is the 55 f1.8 which is highly regarded also.

It is amazing that you can find these lenses still in pristine condition. Often for well under $100.
10-01-2008, 06:13 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Coming back to the initial question: Yes .

Besides the extra stop difference to 1.4, there are also differences in e.g. DOF and Bokeh, which make the 50/1.2 a special lens. I use it nearly exclusively @1.2. Thus, there is no reason for me to own an A-Version. The only challenge is focusing. Two example shots @1.2:

Comparison of Pentax Fast 50s [Page 1]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
10-01-2008, 06:39 AM   #28
Veteran Member

the reason to own the A version is because K/M lenses in a lot of instances have metering issues. and the A version has one more aperture blade and supposedly uses a special glass
10-01-2008, 01:20 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
the reason to own the A version is because K/M lenses in a lot of instances have metering issues.
As I stated:
QuoteQuote:
I use it nearly exclusively @1.2. Thus, there is no reason for me to own an A-Version.
So, this is not really an issue for me.
QuoteQuote:
and the A version has one more aperture blade and supposedly uses a special glass
K: 8 blades
A: 9 blades

Thus, having a light source in the picture, the K shows an 8-fold and the A an 18-fold star. Again, for me this results in an additional advantage for the K. Optically, the K and M seem to be at least on a similar level (see above link).
10-01-2008, 01:57 PM   #30
Veteran Member

please don't mistake me for being thick, i was just pointing out the differences if anyone was interested
my k100d was always underexposed w/ Pre-A lenses at whatever aperture not sure why that was
nice photos btw