Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 50 Likes Search this Thread
01-03-2019, 03:50 PM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Keep working on shooting technique, best practices, composition. Way more important than sharpness numbers.

01-03-2019, 04:10 PM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I do know factually, that various lab tests have indicated the DA 18-135mm as having exceptional sharpness in the central area of the frame, even throughout its wide zoom range, while edge performance is pretty good within its shorter end of the zoom range, especially if not at wide open aperture. These lab results have consistently panned out in real world images. I have noticed very good contrast characteristic also.

Its "ratings" are often reduced for this reason or that, like corner performance especially at longer FL, etc etc. but that does not change the above imaging qualities.

---------- Post added 01-03-19 at 04:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Papa_Joe Quote
Since Pentax is producing digital cameras their "low" resolution is complained in nearly every test.

In most cases the honest explanation for this phenomenom is also given: Modern resolution tests measure the contrast or even only the net size of a jpeg picture. Since Pentax cameras do a very restrained processing, they produce relatively low contrast jpegs while on factory settings. This is actually an advantage if you want to process a jpeg, since there is still something to process. The more agressive processing of "resolution optimized" jpegs gives no headroom for any improvements. But because of this preserving processing the cameras produced by pentax have lower resultion results then those of other manufacturers in every test. Take it easy, it's not a bug, it's a feature - really!
The german digitalkamera.de recently tested the K-1 mark II. They found, that at 50% contrast the sensor resolution of the K-1 was in the range of a 16 to 20 MP camera. At 10% contrast the resolution of the K-1 was at the theoretical possible maximum value. They also stated, that in comparison to a Nikon D810 there was no visible difference when reading the small fonts in the test chart! In other words the resolution of the camera is as good as those of any other brand, the jpegs are just not designed to meet the test criteria. That Pentax still sticks to this principle after 15 years of "bad" test results has my deepest respect.

The standard conclusion is, that you have to use Pentax cameras in RAW format, as their jpegs are not optimal. No need for me, as I am quite happy with the jpegs of my K10D. But if you want higher resolutuion for your jpegs, just turn the settings for contrast and sharpness in the menu a bit to the right and you should have jpegs with "more" resolution, i.e. contrast.
Since Pentax cameras have such a "bad" resolution, the lenses tested with them, of corse do not get high marks. The testing is done with standard jpeg settings.
This is quite true of Pentax. One thing about the K10D, its adjustments for jpegs were found by dpreview labs to be inadequate to compensate for the conservative in-camera jpeg processing, so RAW was the way to go. But that was quickly remedied in subsequent models. It is now still conservative, but easily fine-tuned for excellent jpeg results. And one can shoot both together- JPEG+RAW to have all options.

This reminds me to remind the OP- be sure to set "Fine Sharpness" in the Custom Image menus of your K-70 for excellent fine detail in your jpeg images. Any trouble doing this- just let us know.

Last edited by mikesbike; 01-03-2019 at 09:36 PM.
01-03-2019, 04:48 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Comparing an M100/4 Macro to the 18-135 is simply as ludicrous as comparing a Prius to a Porsche.
I can't disagree there. There is the a lot to having the right tool for the job which is why I have become much more selective in what I buy. However sometimes a cheap general purpose lens of adequate quality is exactly the right tool. For me that is my inexpensive tamron 28-300 f/3.5-6.3 lens that I use at cub scout events where capturing the moment is moment is more important that having it captured perfectly and even then so long as I can produce a better picture than a cellphone it is net win. I paid $60 for that thing and if it gets damaged (cub scouts are bouncy and don't pay attention) it isn't any great loss.
01-03-2019, 05:04 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
I can't disagree there. There is the a lot to having the right tool for the job which is why I have become much more selective in what I buy. However sometimes a cheap general purpose lens of adequate quality is exactly the right tool. For me that is my inexpensive tamron 28-300 f/3.5-6.3 lens that I use at cub scout events where capturing the moment is moment is more important that having it captured perfectly and even then so long as I can produce a better picture than a cellphone it is net win. I paid $60 for that thing and if it gets damaged (cub scouts are bouncy and don't pay attention) it isn't any great loss.
No disagreement here either. I have three F35-70 lenses, one is for parts. Great utility lens at dirt cheap cost.

01-03-2019, 05:39 PM - 1 Like   #35
Veteran Member

Before consulting DxO for a review of something you already own, I would check to see if you have these symptoms:

1. Smiling.
2. Laughing.
3. Fun to be around.
4. Eagerness to use your equipment to create something you enjoy.
5. Generally not being a miserable SOB.

If you suffer from 2 or more of the above, you may be in serious danger of an Overdose of Happiness. In this case, you should consult DxO, and take it to heart when another lens scores 2 points higher than your lens (no matter what a "point" means).
01-03-2019, 06:50 PM - 1 Like   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Do not use DXo tests to compare Pentax lenses with other brands. Their methodology means that any any aps-c sensor camera will show half the sharpness score of a FF sensor. As they don't use the K1 for any tests the Pentax lenses will always appear poor on that site.

IGNORE it
DxO criteria can be cruel to micro four thirds lenses too! However, after comparing many analyses, I realized the relativity of their findings. I concluded that technical is fine, but practical is important too.
01-03-2019, 07:07 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Comparing an M100/4 Macro to the 18-135 is simply as ludicrous as comparing a Prius to a Porsche.
You have images or are you just going to leave us hanging here?

01-03-2019, 07:34 PM - 3 Likes   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You have images or are you just going to leave us hanging here?

01-03-2019, 09:38 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ha Ha HaHa!!!
01-05-2019, 10:02 AM   #40
Pentaxian

SO, which is which?
"I'd start off with one is stationary one is parked." If I thought you were serious.
01-11-2019, 08:28 PM   #41
Forum Member

Original Poster
okay, thanks everyone comments, i just bought 70mm HD i feel very satisfied!

dxo can't stop me from photography
01-12-2019, 07:25 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KoolKool Quote
I'm using wonderful K70 and 18-135, the versatility of 18-135 is the reason i'm happy walking around and enjoying any moment
right now i'm looking for a second len can make me "pleasure myself" the maximum quality out of 24mp for my "private times"

i'm checking Dxomark, and i but really feel kinda...off....none limited lens i see capable resolve 24mp or at least 15mp! the only best is Sigma one can resolve 16mp , the DA* can't hold up as well

what you guy think? should i bother too much?
Don't read too much into those so called reviews. Just use on your K70 and you will see the magic of Pentax at work.

BTW, it's LENS not LEN (No such word).
01-12-2019, 08:00 AM   #43
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote
Don't read too much into those so called reviews. Just use on your K70 and you will see the magic of Pentax at work.

BTW, it's LENS not LEN (No such word).
01-12-2019, 04:42 PM - 1 Like   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why, don't insult our friend Len!