Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2019, 05:40 AM   #1

Rubber Work on Lenses

I just got stiffed on eBay with a lens described as good but in fact its paperweight material. Haze and wrecked coatings, focus feels like a bag of busted ball bearings and the rubber work has all gone grey. Before I put it back on eBay (albeit with a more honest description) I thought I may as well give it a clean, disassemble parts of it to see if the haze was in fact drek on the back of the front element (it wasn't) but I used a little technique which may be known to some of you to get the rubber work to look new again.

It occurred to me I should post this up as you never know if anyone out there might benefit from experience gained....

Heres the tip - if the rubber can be stripped free of the lens (NEVER DO THIS WITH THE RUBBER ON THE LENS - at least unless you know for sure the lens is moisture proof, seals intact and you are not working near any joins like a focus or aperture ring) take the rubber off, run it under warm water and then set to with a toothbrush and some toothpaste - my lenses prefer Colgate for that ring of confidence - use a soft toothbrush and make sure you scrub along any ridges to get everything shiny - apply the toothpaste generously. Once done wash thoroughly under a warm tap and leave to air dry NEVER leave the toothpaste on - as soon as you are done scrubbing get it off with warm water. If the rubber doesn't show improvement I use a toothbrush again with a heavy hit off washing up liquid and leave to dry again. Most lenses will allow the rubber to be prised loose and most lenses I have used with rubber grips I have almost always found the rubber has not been secured underneath allowing the rubber to simply stretch off if you work it off slowly.

If its super tight to get back on a small dab of washing up liquid will help.

I have used this trick over the years with toothpaste on all sorts of rubber based items and it almost always works - it came to me years ago and its an old military trip to get rubber work shiny and back to black on all kinds of things.

Last edited by Astro-Baby; 01-04-2019 at 05:41 AM. Reason: typo
01-04-2019, 05:46 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Astro-Baby Quote
I just got stiffed on eBay . . .

Heres the tip - if the rubber can be stripped free of the lens (NEVER DO THIS WITH THE RUBBER ON THE LENS - at least unless you know for sure the lens is moisture proof, seals intact and you are not working near any joins like a focus or aperture ring) take the rubber off, run it under warm water and then set to with a toothbrush and some toothpaste - my lenses prefer Colgate for that ring of confidence - use a soft toothbrush and make sure you scrub along any ridges to get everything shiny - apply the toothpaste generously. Once done wash thoroughly under a warm tap and leave to air dry NEVER leave the toothpaste on - as soon as you are done scrubbing get it off with warm water. If the rubber doesn't show improvement I use a toothbrush again with a heavy hit off washing up liquid and leave to dry again. Most lenses will allow the rubber to be prised loose and most lenses I have used with rubber grips I have almost always found the rubber has not been secured underneath allowing the rubber to simply stretch off if you work it off slowly.

If its super tight to get back on a small dab of washing up liquid will help. . . .
sorry to hear about your ebay experience

do you think that plain old baking soda might work ?
01-04-2019, 07:50 AM   #3

Thanks for sharing this tip. Military personnel know all the tricks.

I would say give baking soda a try. I've seen in mentioned before as a restorative method. I suspect though that tooth paste has a stronger abrasive and some of the oils like mint oil that are often found in tooth pastes may be of benefit.

Couldn't you get your money back through Ebay's purchase protection?
01-04-2019, 01:12 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Astro-Baby Quote
I just got stiffed on eBay with a lens described as good but in fact its paperweight material. Haze and wrecked coatings, focus feels like a bag of busted ball bearings and the rubber work has all gone grey. Before I put it back on eBay (albeit with a more honest description)
I have to ask - why not file with Ebay? If the seller claimed a condition it wasn't - make them eat it. Only by doing this over time can you make it too painful to lie. I have done this - it doesn't matter if they say "No returns" the rule of Ebay is the claims must match the condition. Don't let them off the hook... it can take work. I had to work on one case for a couple of weeks off and on before I got a 7 element Tak 50 f1.4 returned when they claimed 8 element and it wasn't.

01-04-2019, 01:31 PM   #5

Original Poster
TBH its just too much hassle for such a small sum of money. I did consider just being awkward etc but life is too short to waste on numpties on eBay. Thanks though...hope the tip is of use.
01-05-2019, 09:26 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I remember I bought an F 50 1.7 recently on ebay. Was described as "excellent condition!" but of course the lens not only was filthy, but it has fungus inside it and the screwdrive mechanism makes a horrible noise due to the dirt most likely. I made a claim on ebay and the seller gave me my money back so fast and didn't even want the lens back lol. So not only did I get my money back but I have a future project too.
01-05-2019, 09:35 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I remember I bought an F 50 1.7 recently on ebay. Was described as "excellent condition!" but of course the lens not only was filthy, but it has fungus inside it and the screwdrive mechanism makes a horrible noise due to the dirt most likely. I made a claim on ebay and the seller gave me my money back so fast and didn't even want the lens back lol. So not only did I get my money back but I have a future project too.
Yes that happens too. Those are the sellers who admit they were optimistic when called on it. They count on people just accepting it as is.