Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2019, 09:44 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Irix lenses (grey market and UK prices)

I've been considering the new Irix 150mm. I have the 15mm and I like it a lot. However, getting hold of the 150mm in the UK is proving impossible. Irix give a list of their UK dealers who I've contacted (all of them) and they are coming back with some consistent reasons why they don't have the 150mm, or for that matter any new Irix lenses.

1) the exchange rate is making these lenses in the UK too expensive to import (thanks Brexit !!!). This is applying to other gear that doesn't have a large distribution network that can absorb some of the exchange costs.

2) the grey market in photo gear is pushing small dealers out of the market. Again, the big players can get their gear to the dealers and absorb some of these losses, but smaller brands are struggling. I've always got my gear from main & trusted dealers - I hadn't appreciated how big the grey market seems to be.

What a mess ...

01-04-2019, 09:49 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry to hear its tough to get the lenses that you want. Have you considered a trip abroad to shop?
01-04-2019, 10:10 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
We are still (for now) in Europe, so you can purchase from European stores

Irix 150mm F2.8 Macro 1:1 Dragonfly Pentax

They are German but that doesn't make it 'grey market'. Take advantage of the free market while it still exists.
01-04-2019, 10:26 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote

They are German but that doesn't make it 'grey market'. Take advantage of the free market while it still exists.
Thanks. I did consider this, but preferred to purchase from UK, partly in case there was a problem - especially post Brexit.

I understand Irix are at the NEC show in March. They didn't sell direct last year, but seeing as they now don't seem to have any dealers left in the UK they might be able to offer something there. Guess, any fault return would then be via Switzerland - just as tricky post Brexit, unfortunately.

01-04-2019, 01:52 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Thanks. I did consider this, but preferred to purchase from UK, partly in case there was a problem - especially post Brexit.

I understand Irix are at the NEC show in March. They didn't sell direct last year, but seeing as they now don't seem to have any dealers left in the UK they might be able to offer something there. Guess, any fault return would then be via Switzerland - just as tricky post Brexit, unfortunately.
Apart from exchange rate fluctuations that Brexit might prompt, I don't see your problem. I bought my IRIX 15 Blackstone direct (via their website). The service was excellent and when the lens stopped sending aperture information to my cameras, almost at the end of the warranty period, they could not have done a better/faster job in repairing it (including free air courier to and from). Pleased it wasn't a grey market purchase.
01-04-2019, 02:56 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OzzRod Quote
Apart from exchange rate fluctuations that Brexit might prompt, I don't see your problem. I bought my IRIX 15 Blackstone direct (via their website). The service was excellent and when the lens stopped sending aperture information to my cameras, almost at the end of the warranty period, they could not have done a better/faster job in repairing it (including free air courier to and from). Pleased it wasn't a grey market purchase.
Rod please see PM. Also, buying locally does give a chance to feel how the lens balances.
01-05-2019, 05:22 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Irix sell direct, but how about a Pentax 100 macro plus 1.4x converter?
01-05-2019, 09:31 AM   #8

I think they are actually Polish or all the staff at the Salon de La Photo in Paris were. They also say they ship worldwide on website.

01-05-2019, 10:42 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I'll wait till March and go and visit their stand at the NEC in Birmingham. There I can handle it with my K-1 and see how it feels.
01-05-2019, 11:45 PM   #10

Getting a feel for it in real life is always a good thing. However, will you be able to buy t there and then? Furthermore, I just don't understand these dealers. If the exchange rate results in increased costs, they can still import the lens and then resell it for a higher price. That higher price may make the lens more exclusive, meaning that they will expect to sell less, but they could still import it. It seems to me that these guys are unwilling to take a commercial risk, which is odd if you're a company in market. If there is a problem with this distribution network, Irix could also adopt a more restrictive approach to its dealer network, i.e. using selective distribution with more stringent criteria (such as a requirement to stock a certain number of lenses). Most importantly: I hope that you'll enjoy your Irix 150!
01-06-2019, 05:03 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by HoutHans Quote
I just don't understand these dealers. If the exchange rate results in increased costs, they can still import the lens and then resell it for a higher price.
Regardless of whether they want to keep it in stock (I can understand their reluctance there), if they are an authorised dealer they should be able to order it in on request. I guess the OP wants a shop to have it on a shelf so they can look and try, but with an exclusive item that is very likely not to sell, that's asking a bit much.

Buying within Europe gives you 14 days to try and return if required under Distance Selling Regulations for exactly this purpose, so there are other ways around it, but not if you're determined not to use those options.
01-06-2019, 06:10 AM   #12

The NEC show should be an advantage as there will probably be a special deal for period of the show as there was in Paris. You will be able to fondle the lens in PK fitting and you will know what you will have to pay.
01-07-2019, 11:26 AM   #13

Regardless of whether they want to keep it in stock (I can understand their reluctance there), if they are an authorised dealer they should be able to order it in on request. I guess the OP wants a shop to have it on a shelf so they can look and try, but with an exclusive item that is very likely not to sell, that's asking a bit much.
Sure that may be asking a bit much, but in this case apparently too much for all of them, and so they forego a chance to possibly sell one. I'd say that Irix also has a responsibility in all of this (unless they feel comfortable with themselves as a 'dealer network').
01-08-2019, 03:50 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by HoutHans Quote
Sure that may be asking a bit much, but in this case apparently too much for all of them, and so they forego a chance to possibly sell one. I'd say that Irix also has a responsibility in all of this (unless they feel comfortable with themselves as a 'dealer network').
It is a question of Irix's deals with their dealers...which I obviously don't know, but I had a similar recent experience trying to find a particular bicycle I wanted to buy and needed to try first to find the right size and see if I liked it in the flesh. None of the local official dealers had one in stock and none of them were prepared to order one in for me to try, because once built the manufacturer would not accept it back from them and they would then risk being stuck with stock they couldn't sell. It was an unusual bike...

In the end I used my EU Distance Selling rights and ordered it from one of the very same dealers' website, tried it for a few days, didn't get on with it, and returned it for a full refund.