Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2019, 10:49 AM   #16
Pentaxian
Ontarian50's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 389
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
When I get a brand new shirt (with he original tags still on it) from Value Village and it's MEC brand and $10 instead of 90, I'm pretty sure I'm getting deal. But, if you shop at "the Source" you have to get a 25% discount just to bring their prices down to what everyone else is charging. Although in this age of internet price comparisons, even they've had to drop their retail prices to be more in line with their competition. A friend just gave up his "Source" franchise. The internet has basically made small town electronic stores unprofitable. Not good for him, good for me.
Oh, don't get me started on The Source. As a teen, I lived and breathed through the Radio Shack catalogue. All the electronics, gadgets, and DIY parts and stuff were an endless source of fun. While they seldom had state of the art stuff, you could always count on them to have wire, solder, and all the switches, plugs, and connectors you needed to get your stereo hooked up, or that minor household repair you were tinkering with. A lot of fond memories are associated with Radio Shack.


As the market changed, and far fewer guys were tinkering with electrics and electronics, Radio Shack devolved into a place for gadgets in boxes, and, of course, cell phones. Now renamed The Source, there's a smattering of parts and wires on the shelves of my local store, but they never seem to have what I need any more. But, hey, if you need a new case for your cellphone, they've got you covered...

01-05-2019, 10:55 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 88
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
cynical thought ... maybe they're just taking advantage of there being no major third-party supplier of lenses to compete with, now that Tamron and Sigma have stopped support for the Pentax mount!
Oh I missed that, I would’ve jumped sooner on buying.
01-05-2019, 01:17 PM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2016
Location: East Coast
Posts: 1,635
Don't forget that in the U.S.Pentax Camera and Lens Deal Finder here:

Pentax Camera & Lens Deal Finder

you can see price trends. Very helpful to know if your "deal" is a deal and how often it has been discounted.
01-05-2019, 02:41 PM   #19
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,241
QuoteOriginally posted by robr7 Quote
...is there any real reason for what seems like across the board price hikes back to MSRP? Doesn’t seem to me the price fluctuations really match any type of guessable supply or demand strains. Anything recent that might explain it?
that is just reality

sales end



_________________________________

you can also go to the " user reviews " of individual lenses and find info on prices and trends

for example, here is the link for the Pentax HD PENTAX-DA 55-300mm f/4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE:

HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database


Last edited by aslyfox; 01-05-2019 at 04:09 PM.
01-05-2019, 04:38 PM - 1 Like   #20
SMC PENTAX LENSES
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,442
QuoteOriginally posted by robr7 Quote
...is there any real reason for what seems like across the board price hikes back to MSRP? Doesn’t seem to me the price fluctuations really match any type of guessable supply or demand strains. Anything recent that might explain it?
We still do have a US Distributor - Ricoh Imaging Americas Corp, which is a separate company from Ricoh Imaging Co., Ltd. (Japan).. AFA US pricing is concerned, RIAC sets the prices, special deal pricing, and will order in an inventory of gear from Ricoh Imaging Co., Ltd. for the holiday sales season. They’ll set a temporary lower retail price, or a series of deal prices, in consultation with the major Dealers (Amazon, Adorama and B&H, plus a handful of B&M Dealers) for a specified time. They might even co-market with the Dealers (offer some marketing support money).

When the special marketing period ends hopefully the special inventory has been sold at the Dealers (that’s probably why we saw extended specials on certain lenses e.g. silver DA20-40 - to clear remaining stock), so that inventory has been reduced to transactional levels and prices return to MSRP.

There should be some sort of deals coincdent with CP+ perhaps passed through to all the Distributos from Japan HQ.

Last edited by monochrome; 01-05-2019 at 04:44 PM.
01-05-2019, 06:31 PM   #21
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,466
Lesson learned: strike when the iron is hot!
01-05-2019, 06:38 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 88
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
We still do have a US Distributor - Ricoh Imaging Americas Corp, which is a separate company from Ricoh Imaging Co., Ltd. (Japan).. AFA US pricing is concerned, RIAC sets the prices, special deal pricing, and will order in an inventory of gear from Ricoh Imaging Co., Ltd. for the holiday sales season. They’ll set a temporary lower retail price, or a series of deal prices, in consultation with the major Dealers (Amazon, Adorama and B&H, plus a handful of B&M Dealers) for a specified time. They might even co-market with the Dealers (offer some marketing support money).

When the special marketing period ends hopefully the special inventory has been sold at the Dealers (that’s probably why we saw extended specials on certain lenses e.g. silver DA20-40 - to clear remaining stock), so that inventory has been reduced to transactional levels and prices return to MSRP.

There should be some sort of deals coincdent with CP+ perhaps passed through to all the Distributos from Japan HQ.
This is excellent. Thank You.
01-30-2019, 03:45 AM   #23
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,282
Pentax HD FA price jumps...

QuoteOriginally posted by darylk Quote


Lower prices will eventually return. The key is to be patient, watch the prices and act when you're satisfied with the price you're paying. I just bought the DFA 24-70 for around $850 using this approach. Unfortunately, I missed the low of $800, but am very satisfied.

How’s this for a bargain (I didn’t bother posting it in the Price Watch for obvious reasons): Pentax D-FA 24-70 f/2.8 brand new for AU$9,000

Hey, with the exchange rate the way it is at the moment, may as well strike while the iron is hot!

01-30-2019, 11:31 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Omaha
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 461
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
How’s this for a bargain (I didn’t bother posting it in the Price Watch for obvious reasons): Pentax D-FA 24-70 f/2.8 brand new for AU$9,000

Hey, with the exchange rate the way it is at the moment, may as well strike while the iron is hot!
Are you guys "down under" or "upside down"? 🙃
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
hd fa price, k-mount, pentax hd fa, pentax lens, price, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Abstract When Auto Focus Jumps in at the right Time ADDADS Post Your Photos! 7 08-31-2018 02:21 PM
Sports More jumps volley Post Your Photos! 10 05-28-2016 01:23 PM
Red Epic Dragon jumps to top of DxOMark Sensor charts with score of 101 ! jogiba Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 14 03-10-2014 01:50 PM
Voigtländer Nokton 25mm f/0.95 price jumps from $899 to $1,299.99 ! jogiba Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 11 05-28-2011 07:41 PM
Pentax Lens Prices jumps - anyone know how much these lenses are in Taiwan weaponx525 Pentax News and Rumors 15 04-10-2009 07:35 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:02 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top