Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-07-2019, 05:32 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
DFA* 50/1.4 compared to 8 other Pentax 50/1.4 lenses

DC Watch has posted comparisons with a host of Pentax 50/1.4 lenses going back to the early Takumars. Since most of the reviews I've seen were of the lens in isolation or compared to modern competitors, I thought this would be helpful to people wondering if it is worth the upgrade over lenses they already own.

I don't know much about how to do lens comparisons properly, but it strikes me that they have done a good job of taking comparable shots, covering a range of situations, and providing full size images to compare.

This is all in Japanese, but the images are clearly labelled.
?????D FA?50mm F1.4?????????????50mm F1.4???????? - ???? Watch

01-07-2019, 05:45 AM   #2
Pentaxian

At first look, the Taks from the 60's are really good in comparison, the main difference is bokeh.

The difference between the DFA50 and the FA50 is even less than expected, perhaps the DFA is a bit contrastier (is that a word) ?

Could someone translate the conclusions please?

Seb
01-07-2019, 06:17 AM - 1 Like   #3
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
This is paraphrasing the author's conclusion.

- The DFA* is clearly superior to the older lenses in all aspects.
- However, the older lenses hold up suprisingly well.
- Although the DFA* outclasses the old lenses when viewed up close on screen, is it that important at normal viewing sizes?
- The advantage of older lenses is that their character changes through the aperture ranges, so you can enjoy different image descriptions in one lens.
- In particular the FA 50 is a current lens and offers very good cost performance at under 40,000 yen.
- Which image the viewer prefers is subjective, so there is an argument that the "poorer" lenses could be more highly valued by some people.

Last edited by JPT; 01-07-2019 at 06:43 AM.
01-07-2019, 07:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
They did a good job by comparing all. I do feel the miss of the DA*55 that is the bridge between the small K/M/A/F/FA and the big DFA.

01-07-2019, 07:34 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
They did a good job by comparing all. I do feel the miss of the DA*55 that is the bridge between the small K/M/A/F/FA and the big DFA.
The latest article on DA lens compatibility gave the DA 55 poor marks wide open, but I would like to have seen it included.
01-07-2019, 09:07 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
DFA* 50/1.4 compared to 8 other Pentax 50/1.4 lenses
I'm glad that the DFA*50 lens is better than the 20 years old lenses, it would be sad if it was other wise. The Pentax DFA*50 1.4 optically an excellent, one of the best, if not THE best of the 50mm lenses. But was 50mm really what customers asked for? What I could see if the Pentax users who had to rely of the old FA*85 who moved to Sony because there was no DFA85 or DFA*85. No one would have moved from Pentax to Sony for a 50mm prime lens.
01-07-2019, 09:27 AM   #7
Forum Member

This is paraphrasing the author's conclusion.

- The DFA* is clearly superior to the older lenses in all aspects.
- However, the older lenses hold up suprisingly well.
- Although the DFA* outclasses the old lenses when viewed up close on screen, is it that important at normal viewing sizes?
- The advantage of older lenses is that their character changes through the aperture ranges, so you can enjoy different image descriptions in one lens.
- In particular the FA 50 is a current lens and offers very good cost performance at under 40,000 yen.
- Which image the viewer prefers is subjective, so there is an argument that the "poorer" lenses could be more highly valued by some people.
Funny I do not see this at all.

Like art it is subjective. I feel the Takumar's are clearly superior in all aspects. Better movement, better glass, more character of image, lower price.
If the older lenses have an advantage through aperture ranges in how much they can do more with one lens that the DFA can, how is the DFA then superior in all aspects?

01-07-2019, 10:18 AM   #8
Lev
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mercifulfate Quote
Funny I do not see this at all.

Like art it is subjective. I feel the Takumar's are clearly superior in all aspects. Better movement, better glass, more character of image, lower price.
If the older lenses have an advantage through aperture ranges in how much they can do more with one lens that the DFA can, how is the DFA then superior in all aspects?
Of course DFA is superior in all aspects. But it's technically better than anything. Just compare its edge sharpness at 1.4 with anything, It was just an answer for today's standards and even exceeds it. But I agree, older lenses had special character though.
01-07-2019, 10:40 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DC Watch has posted comparisons with a host of Pentax 50/1.4 lenses...
This is paraphrasing the author's conclusion...

Thank you and thank you, JPT.

I enjoyed the comparison and agree with the sentiment of the author's conclusion.
01-07-2019, 11:43 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I'm glad that the DFA*50 lens is better than the 20 years old lenses, it would be sad if it was other wise. The Pentax DFA*50 1.4 optically an excellent, one of the best, if not THE best of the 50mm lenses. But was 50mm really what customers asked for? What I could see if the Pentax users who had to rely of the old FA*85 who moved to Sony because there was no DFA85 or DFA*85. No one would have moved from Pentax to Sony for a 50mm prime lens.
The DFA 50 is also a great option for portraits on APSC. I think the DFA 85 will have less appeal to APSC shooters. I realize the DA 55 is a competing option on APSC, but I think that's the Ricoh logic however it may be flawed. It also may have been easier to sell to Tokina for their use.
01-07-2019, 11:47 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Not enough difference to justify the extreme price difference IMHO. Again, value is subjective but I'll stick with my FA50/1.4 and F50/1.7 and 2.8 Macro, thanks (along with my ST, M, and A 50s)
01-07-2019, 11:53 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Not enough difference to justify the extreme price difference IMHO. Again, value is subjective but I'll stick with my FA50/1.4 and F50/1.7 and 2.8 Macro, thanks (along with my ST, M, and A 50s)
I also feel this way, I currently have the fa 1.4 and F 1.7 and I'd been eyeing the 50 macro for the stellar sharpness.
01-07-2019, 11:57 AM   #13
Pentaxian

The difference was greater that I expected. Compared to the DFA the other ones look like the tests were shot in fog... The famous green from dpreview is very visible in the second shot (three quarters view of building) look at the iron details on top of the roof.

I quess there will now be a long thread at dpreview with pentaxians apologising profusely for their attacks. Or perhaps better pretend you didn't say anything...

The image quality is still great but that green sure is real.

Last edited by house; 01-07-2019 at 11:58 AM. Reason: typo
01-07-2019, 12:06 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
The difference was greater that I expected. Compared to the DFA the other ones look like the tests were shot in fog... The famous green from dpreview is very visible in the second shot (three quarters view of building) look at the iron details on top of the roof.

I quess there will now be a long thread at dpreview with pentaxians apologising profusely for their attacks. Or perhaps better pretend you didn't say anything...

The image quality is still great but that green sure is real.
This shot? [??] ?????D FA?50mm F1.4?????????????50mm F1.4????????(9/129) - ???? Watch on my lg g5 zoomed all the way in I'm not seeing it but that could be the screen I guess.
01-07-2019, 12:34 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
This shot? [??] ?????D FA?50mm F1.4?????????????50mm F1.4????????(9/129) - ???? Watch on my lg g5 zoomed all the way in I'm not seeing it but that could be the screen I guess.
No I'm referring to this one
https://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/img/dcw/docs/1160/648/0701.jpg