Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
01-09-2019, 06:26 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jcsnyc Quote
I have 2 retired cameras - istDS and K5. Any suggestions on which would be best to modify.
The K5 -- while it's obviously possible to shoot IR without live view, most modern lenses don't have IR focusing marks, and there's the issue of having the focus calibrated during the conversion -- all in all I'd say live view is a must.

01-09-2019, 08:51 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
The K5 -- while it's obviously possible to shoot IR without live view, most modern lenses don't have IR focusing marks, and there's the issue of having the focus calibrated during the conversion -- all in all I'd say live view is a must.
Yes, while it's tempting to go with an older, pre-video, body, I have found live view to be a much better idea when shooting infrared - not that I can actually carefully compose my image on the screen in bright sunlight. But if I frame up my image in the viewfinder, then switch to live view, I can then press the AF button to get a sharp focus on my subject, then shoot.

We have to remind ourselves that our lenses were designed for visible light, and they aren't intended to focus (or even have edge to edge sharpness) infrared light. Calibrating the sensor depth for your favourite lens, doesn't guarantee sharp focus with another, even if it has an infrared film mark.

I'm on the hunt for another 21mm Limited, as my last one got stolen - but I found it worked nicely on the converted K-r.
01-09-2019, 09:21 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote

I'm on the hunt for another 21mm Limited, as my last one got stolen - but I found it worked nicely on the converted K-r.
Good to know! I have a 21mm Limited that I am using a lot less due to the K1... now it might be back in action!
01-09-2019, 03:11 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcsnyc Quote
...... I have 2 retired cameras - istDS and K5. Any suggestions on which would be best to modify.

I also have a K3 II and K1 II - so I am okay working on the K5 if it's a good fit for this.

Another vote for the K5. I had mine converted (Full Spectrum) by Kolari Vision and I'm very happy with the results. Also I have yet to encounter any hotspots with the lenses used to date. My Flickr album is here.

01-12-2019, 04:44 AM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Funnily enough, having just advocated for the importance of live view for infrared work, I had a very successful session the other day where I worked entirely handheld, with preset focus. (I was with friends and not wanting to slow down the group over much.) I did use LV to establish a couple of focus points (close-ish and medium-far-ish), but just went with that focus for the rest of the session, lens well stopped down. In general for IR I will continue to use a tripod and LV, but I was very happy with how the handheld shots came out. It helped that I was using a K-series lens with a firmer focusing ring that often found on AF lenses. It was also interesting, and not unhelpful, to compose with an out-of-focus viewfinder.

01-12-2019, 11:43 AM   #21
Pentaxian

I really want to get my K-01 converted to full spectrum, what are the best guides for doing it yourself?
01-12-2019, 04:36 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I'm not aware of any guide for the K01 - but these guys have a lot of information for a lot of cameras. It's usually not simple, but if you are comfortable rebuilding cameras it's usually fairly straight forward if you can get your hands on a service manual. If you are not comfortable opening up a camera to replace the internals then it's usually cheaper/easier to get a company who specializes in it to do it for you.

Infrared Photoshop Tutorials & DIY Infrared Conversion Instructions

01-12-2019, 10:42 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sqrrl Quote
I'm not aware of any guide for the K01 - but these guys have a lot of information for a lot of cameras. It's usually not simple, but if you are comfortable rebuilding cameras it's usually fairly straight forward if you can get your hands on a service manual. If you are not comfortable opening up a camera to replace the internals then it's usually cheaper/easier to get a company who specializes in it to do it for you.

Infrared Photoshop Tutorials & DIY Infrared Conversion Instructions
Yah I'm pretty comfortable disassembling stuff. These guides should be useful for when you get down to the sensor itself ty.

If I attempt this and succeed I'll post a guide on how to do it for the K-01.