Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-09-2019, 05:46 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FA 20 internal haze

Dear all, this is my first disappointment after all these years with Pentax, and multiple times dealing with KEH.
Back in 2015, I was in the market for an UWA lens in preparation for a Pentax FF.
I managed to find an FA 20 from KEH and tried it out on my then K-5 to find it underwhelming, but seemingly acceptable at the time.
I gave the lens the benefit of the doubt, thought nothing more about it and put it away in a cool, dry place until I found a purpose for it (really waiting for FF).
So now I have said camera. And I fit the FA 20 onto it for my maiden shoot that evening....

Yuk! I must have done something wrong...
Let's see what it looks like on the FA 31:

Much better.

Second try with the FA 20:

What is this flare happening?!?
Try again:

Still disgusting. What's going on?

Second try with the FA 31:

Much much better on the 31.

I feared the worst:

It was described as BGN.
Now I'm hoping a local photoelectrics store will be able to pull it apart to have it CLA'd.
But will it be salvageable?

01-09-2019, 06:51 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ask them what they use to clean the lens parts and elements.
01-09-2019, 07:28 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
It was described as BGN.
I bought a Pentax flash (AF500) from keh.com last December which was rated EX, yet it had a battery door that did not fully close when batteries were put into a unit and it would not fire when mounted on the camera (it would fire through radio triggers). It would seem that the keh ratings are not what they used to be.
01-09-2019, 10:03 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Now I'm hoping a local photoelectrics store will be able to pull it apart to have it CLA'd.
But will it be salvageable?
Can you tell if the haze occurs on element in front of aperture or behind (closer to mount)? The lens uses a lot of complicated elements but the only glued group is right behind aperture.
I hope the haze is on somewhere else, which means it is cleanable. If it is cement separation, it will be very hard to correct.

KEH is getting worse and worse. My 2 most recent lenses I bought from them were all returned. Luckily I found the issue right after I received them. One has separation, one has suck aperture lever, both are easy to find but they missed. The only thing still good is return policy, but processing and refunding are getting much slower. I returned the lens before Christmas and they still didn't refund me.

Sorry for the bad news, and I hope the lens can be cleaned.

01-09-2019, 01:04 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Ask them what they use to clean the lens parts and elements.

My local repairers? What materials would be used that are unacceptable for such a lens?
01-09-2019, 01:08 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
I bought a Pentax flash (AF500) from keh.com last December which was rated EX, yet it had a battery door that did not fully close when batteries were put into a unit and it would not fire when mounted on the camera (it would fire through radio triggers). It would seem that the keh ratings are not what they used to be.

It’s frustrating for sure living in Australia and having dysfunctional equipment being sent from the US. Americans don’t realise how good they’ve got it with after-sale customer service of these big ticket items. For us, we pay the money, at poor exchange rates and big shipping costs, then hope for the best because it’s impractical to have to send items back for repairs a lot of the time.
01-09-2019, 01:11 PM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
Can you tell if the haze occurs on element in front of aperture or behind (closer to mount)? The lens uses a lot of complicated elements but the only glued group is right behind aperture.
I hope the haze is on somewhere else, which means it is cleanable. If it is cement separation, it will be very hard to correct.

Sorry for the bad news, and I hope the lens can be cleaned.

This is hard to tell without pulling the lens apart. It appears to me to be on The inside surface of the back element, traversing the entire span of the element. I can see what you mean about lens elements cemented together and if fungus is evident between these, there is no hope for this lens.

01-09-2019, 03:25 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My local repairers? What materials would be used that are unacceptable for such a lens?
I'm not the expert but what they say they'll use can be double checked by the gang here. I know some DIY folks use questionable products. Also ask them if the cemented element is the problem how will they address it. Most will give the pros and cons, which depend a lot on how easy the two elements are to re-align (usually difficult)
01-09-2019, 04:45 PM   #9
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Internal fungus

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I'm not the expert but what they say they'll use can be double checked by the gang here. I know some DIY folks use questionable products. Also ask them if the cemented element is the problem how will they address it. Most will give the pros and cons, which depend a lot on how easy the two elements are to re-align (usually difficult)
Thanks. I'll do that and hope for the best.
Much obliged.
01-11-2019, 08:55 PM   #10
Pentaxian

It's cinestill film in a lens though! Hipsters would die to have a lens with sick flares like that and be sharp
01-12-2019, 01:49 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You can also inquiry at NSB Tekunos of Japan. They are a group of former Pentax Technicians/engineers who were laid off when Hoya bought Pentax.

NSB TEKUNOS
nsb_tekunos@bloom.ocn.ne.jp

Attnn:Mr toshiyuki nishimura

265-1 .kakuyama.ogawa-machi.hiki-gun.saitama

355-0316

Tel ∔81-493-59-8616

---------- Post added 01-12-2019 at 04:50 PM ----------

They did a great job cleaning my friend's FA*80-200 and A*135 and repaired my MZ-S
01-12-2019, 02:59 AM   #12
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote
You can also inquiry at NSB Tekunos of Japan. They are a group of former Pentax Technicians/engineers who were laid off when Hoya bought Pentax.

NSB TEKUNOS

355-0316

Tel ∔81-493-59-8616

They did a great job cleaning my friend's FA*80-200 and A*135 and repaired my MZ-S

Okay great. Thanks.
01-12-2019, 04:48 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Ash, I have a FA 20 with haze too. I opened it up to find it was a rear doublet. My next step is to separate the elements and clean the glue away (hoping it is the glue that is hazed). I will then reglue the doublet with Canadian Balsam. I might give this a go tomorrow and, if I do, I can report back on my success (separating the elements that is).

If it works then perhaps I can help you out

---------- Post added 12-01-19 at 10:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote

NSB TEKUNOS

355-0316

Tel ∔81-493-59-8616

Thanks also, I have a lens problem that might need to go their way!
01-12-2019, 06:18 AM   #14
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
Ash, I have a FA 20 with haze too. I opened it up to find it was a rear doublet. My next step is to separate the elements and clean the glue away (hoping it is the glue that is hazed). I will then reglue the doublet with Canadian Balsam. I might give this a go tomorrow and, if I do, I can report back on my success (separating the elements that is).

If it works then perhaps I can help you out

---------- Post added 12-01-19 at 10:50 PM ----------

Thanks also, I have a lens problem that might need to go their way!
Mate, that would be awesome. I'll PM you.