Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2019, 12:25 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Ricoh lens re coating service!

Is there a possibility to convince Ricoh to start lens re-coating service? It's not that Pentax's modern glass require it, maybe they do once in a while. What if there's a possibility we could re coat old, vintage lenses. It's not like they would do it for free. It would be a paid service.

01-14-2019, 12:30 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You understand how economies of scale work on production lines, don't you?
It might be cheaper to buy a modern equivalent.

Anyway, old lenses are desirable because of their vintage characteristics. Why mess around with them?
01-14-2019, 12:46 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Unmount the lens completely, remove the old coating, do some pre-treatment for the glass to accept the coating, setup the coating chamber, etc.. That's going to be a service as cheap as buying a new car at least, for a consumer camera lens... I'm afraid that the economics won't fit together.
01-14-2019, 01:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
You understand how economies of scale work on production lines, don't you?
It might be cheaper to buy a modern equivalent.

Anyway, old lenses are desirable because of their vintage characteristics. Why mess around with them?
I agree with you completely. But wouldn't you like to know, how the 8 element 50mm tak would be with a modern smc coating?

---------- Post added 01-14-19 at 01:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Unmount the lens completely, remove the old coating, do some pre-treatment for the glass to accept the coating, setup the coating chamber, etc.. That's going to be a service as cheap as buying a new car at least, for a consumer camera lens... I'm afraid that the economics won't fit together.
Hmmm true it would be expensive. But not that much. I mean sigma does it. Is it that expensive? If they did, there's a huge market for it.

01-14-2019, 01:31 AM   #5
Zav
Pentaxian

I am not aware of Sigma recoating lenses.
As far as I know, it would be a logistical nightmare. On top of the difficulties with the coating itself, there would be issues with the heavy metals used on glass and soldering as well.
01-14-2019, 01:45 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not to mention that re-coating may well change the properties of the elements enough to change the whole optical formula of the lens.
01-14-2019, 02:52 AM   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SunnyG. Quote
I agree with you completely. But wouldn't you like to know, how the 8 element 50mm tak would be with a modern smc coating?
Not to mention that re-coating may well change the properties of the elements enough to change the whole optical formula of the lens.
As a collector of lenses (certain types, at least), this would be my biggest concern... Once you start messing with any aspect of a lens, it's no longer original. Put different coating on the 8 element 50mm Tak and it's no longer that lens - it's something different.

In any case, I agree with other replies... This would be an expensive and uneconomical process. Interesting idea, though...

01-14-2019, 04:20 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Removing coatings from lenses would involve exposing the lens elements to some pretty horrid chemicals, cleaning, re-polishing and then re-applying the coatings. It would be too expensive to even consider.

QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
I am not aware of Sigma recoating lenses.
Nor have I, though they do offer a mount replacement service.

Coatings are uniform, microns thick and multi-layered. I have tested lenses with the same optical formula with different coatings and I have yet to see any lens that exhibited drastic changes in optical characteristics* with newer coatings. However, Image contrast and flare handling is almost** always improved with modern coatings.

* I have seen slight changes though I am hesitant to state this as an absolute fact, as I would need a greater sample size to tell if the differences were caused merely by sample variation.

** unfortunately some lens designs will flare badly no matter what you do, new coatings or not.
01-14-2019, 04:22 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think there are third party companies on the internet who will polish and apply lens coats. I don't think it is cheap and probably wouldn't be worthwhile for most lenses.
01-14-2019, 04:35 AM - 2 Likes   #10
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

didn't we do this already?

Re-coating Takumar bayonet lens! - PentaxForums.com
01-14-2019, 04:39 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Coatings are uniform, microns thick and multi-layered. I have tested lenses with the same optical formula with different coatings and I have yet to see any lens that exhibited drastic changes in optical characteristics with newer coatings.
As expected, I stand corrected. That is why I quite deliberately used the word "may" in my comment
01-14-2019, 05:31 AM   #12

Hmmm true it would be expensive. But not that much. I mean sigma does it. Is it that expensive? If they did, there's a huge market for it.
I've been unable to find an references or links to such a service by Sigma. Please share any information or links that you have in regards to lens coating/recoating service by Sigma.
01-14-2019, 06:56 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

. I mean sigma does it. Is it that expensive? If they did, there's a huge market for it.
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I've been unable to find an references or links to such a service by Sigma.
I haven't heard of Sigma doing this either. I think someone has been hitting the Mezcal a bit too hard.
01-14-2019, 07:45 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The title should have a "?" instead of a "!". I was excited/surprised for a second
01-14-2019, 08:46 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you're willing to do all the up-front work of disassembling, cleaning, and prepping your lens element, one of these might be able to help you.

Lens Coating Services

Coating Services - Santa Clara, California - ios Optics

Anti-Reflective Coatings

You probably want to contact someone in their customer service, explain to them what you need, and get a quote before you contemplate having any work done. Be aware there could be some issues coating cemented elements as they can outgas in the vacuum chamber used to coat lenses.

Last edited by Bob 256; 01-14-2019 at 02:50 PM.