Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2019, 08:03 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Filters

I bought a K1 a couple years ago and then a DFA 70-200 to take photos of my son playing football. Never really got great shots, but made do. Thought it might be the lens, so I picked up a DA*300 recently. Both use high end B+W polarizer and protection filters (not at the same time). I was about to give up on Pentax when I decided to go without a filter. What a difference. I like the look of a polarizer, but I think they may be causing problems on my lenses.

I've taken dozens of photos with the 200 with polarizer, and quite a few with the new 300, but until I took the polarizer off I didn't get a decent photo.

Has anyone else had this problem, specifically with B+W? I realize polarizers cut a little light, but pretty much ALL my photos with polarizers are blurry. Nearly all without are clear.

Before and After polarizer photos attached...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
01-14-2019, 08:32 PM   #2
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
PL filter adds two layers of glass, and this affects the focus. The thicker the glass, and the longer the FL, the larger the focus shift. Did you refocus after installing the filter? The example you give seems extreme.

But, in any case, adding filter reduces resolution and increases flare. And adding a PL filter also reduces the highlights caused by sunlight reflecting of surfaces (especially wet surfaces like wet leaves,** ocean waves, etc.), which deadens the image (no sparkle).

My view is unless I see a specific (real) need for a filter, I don't use one.

_____
** Correction: actually wet leaves often look better w/ PL, as the colors are more saturated. But definitely water surfaces/waves, and the like, lose sunlight's sparkle with PL.

Last edited by dms; 01-14-2019 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Correction via footnote,
01-14-2019, 08:58 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
PL filter adds two layers of glass, and this affects the focus. The thicker the glass, and the longer the FL, the larger the focus shift. Did you refocus after installing the filter? The example you give seems extreme.

But, in any case, adding filter reduces resolution and increases flare. And adding a PL filter also reduces the highlights caused by sunlight reflecting of surfaces (especially wet surfaces like wet leaves,** ocean waves, etc.), which deadens the image (no sparkle).

My view is unless I see a specific (real) need for a filter, I don't use one.

_____
** Correction: actually wet leaves often look better w/ PL, as the colors are more saturated. But definitely water surfaces/waves, and the like, lose sunlight's sparkle with PL.
That's where I'm headed too. I thought it was probably me, but it didn't seem to matter how fast the shutter speed was, they were all blurry with the filters. Can you even purchase PL filters anymore? All my larger (77mm) filters are CP...
01-15-2019, 12:36 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Where did you purchase your polariser filters? Considering the image quality degradation, I suspect you have bought damaged or counterfeit filters.

01-15-2019, 09:50 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Where did you purchase your polariser filters? Considering the image quality degradation, I suspect you have bought damaged or counterfeit filters.
Either Amazon, B&H or Adorama. You may be right. They were expensive as I was trying to avoid this type of issue. I can't rule out operator error, but I don't think it was all me. Was just wondering if anyone else ran into this problem. Thought maybe the combination was an issue.

I'm just so happy I finally got some decent shots. I really like the K1.
01-15-2019, 10:01 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

This problem may be more common than most people realize. A filter might be protecting your lens but ruining your images.

Just as someone might check a new lens for sharpness, decentering, flare, etc. filters need careful checking because they can degrade sharpness, flare, and bokeh.
01-15-2019, 11:32 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Years ago I had to buy a new polarizer in a larger size for a new lens I got. I went for the budget offering because "well, aren't they all pretty much the same?"

I was surprised to find my new AF camera was hunting all about for sharp focus. Turned out it was a warp in the filter glass that was causing the havoc (especially since the lens had a rotating front).

It took awhile to get someone at the camera store to believe me - it took a younger guy with sharper eyes to confirm the warp. He quickly recommended upgrading it to one of the better recognized brands - and the problem went away.

Even so, in recent years I've seen really atrocious polarizers (or at least what pretend to be polarizers) bought by those who thought they were getting a bargain on line. I've also seen "infrared" filters that were really just very dark orange glass with no measurable infrared effect at all.

That said, there are some really decent polarizers out there these days. I've tested out Nikon, Marumi, Kenko, Hoya, Athabasca, B+W, Rodenstock and a few others. Thin glass, a mount that won't vignette on your ultra-wide, good coatings, and a nice neutral colour balance are all things you need. Distorted warped glass that skipped through quality control, you can do without.

01-16-2019, 05:23 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Snydly Quote
Either Amazon, B&H or Adorama. You may be right. They were expensive as I was trying to avoid this type of issue. I can't rule out operator error, but I don't think it was all me. Was just wondering if anyone else ran into this problem. Thought maybe the combination was an issue.

I'm just so happy I finally got some decent shots. I really like the K1.
I have taken many shots with a DA*300 on my K-1 and a Hoya polarizing filter and never experienced anything like this. B+H polarizers are very highly rated as are the three merchants you list. I don't have an answer but in general even the best manufacturers can have rare manufacturing defects so I would suggest trying a different, high end polarizer. Perhaps you could borrow or rent one? Is it still under warranty? If so I would return it. This is simply not normal.
01-20-2019, 02:26 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wanderer2 Quote
I have taken many shots with a DA*300 on my K-1 and a Hoya polarizing filter and never experienced anything like this. B+H polarizers are very highly rated as are the three merchants you list. I don't have an answer but in general even the best manufacturers can have rare manufacturing defects so I would suggest trying a different, high end polarizer. Perhaps you could borrow or rent one? Is it still under warranty? If so I would return it. This is simply not normal.
It's not a small percentage either. I have dozens of blurry shots of gators and wildlife. Not even one keeper until these. I still have to re-try my DFA 70-200 without a filter to test my theory, but I'm convinced that the filters are causing this. All B+W too. Some of my shots were once in a lifetime.
01-20-2019, 03:07 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I've got a lot of B&W filters, but not the polarizer ...as I don't use polarizer filters.

I've never had any issue with a B&W filter and I mostly put them (new filter on new lens) on a lens after I buy the lens. As a matter of course I try the lens..filterless and with filter with the same subject, at the same time and using the same lighting, etc. as I like to check out and make sure everything is to my satisfaction.

So far I haven't got results like yours. I agree with you, something is amiss.
01-21-2019, 03:37 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I've got a lot of B&W filters, but not the polarizer ...as I don't use polarizer filters.

I've never had any issue with a B&W filter and I mostly put them (new filter on new lens) on a lens after I buy the lens. As a matter of course I try the lens..filterless and with filter with the same subject, at the same time and using the same lighting, etc. as I like to check out and make sure everything is to my satisfaction.

So far I haven't got results like yours. I agree with you, something is amiss.

When I get some time I'll try all the combinations...