Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
01-19-2019, 12:14 PM - 1 Like   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Always: The reason I asked is that it covers a focal length range that seems pretty close to what you had with the 18-35 Sigma with more reach tacked on beyond the 35 max of the Sigma.

I think if I was trying to do portrait work for money, with my crop K-5 II, I would buy the Tamron 28-75 and pair it with a decent fast 50. For a few years there was an autofocusing Tamron 90mm f2.5 macro that might be worth looking at as well.
I'm still keeping an eye on a 90mm macro but, so far, have been able to hold those urges in check.
The longer range of the Tamron wasn't my preferences when shooting portraits (that feeling of detachment) but served a purpose when walking around, etc. As much as I still have great respect for the Tamron felt that when coupled with the K-1 it just seemed lacking compared to earlier bodies, What I failed to mention, in the interim (as part of this journey of exploration with the K-1 and its magical qualities that I felt were alluding me) my dealer suggested a try of the 28-105 which has become my walk around lens and, to your point, love the range.
For the APS-C camera, acquired a 50-135 and that's a great lens especially for street shooting. I don't hear or read a lot about this lens but it's a gem!
Further to the Tamron, when the urge to exercise the MZ-S overcomes me, it's the lens to use.
Thanks again for your comments. Al

01-19-2019, 05:21 PM   #32

QuoteQuote:

Shoot from too close with too wide a lens and people will look like their heads have been inflated with air hoses.

Shoot from too far away with too long a lens and people will look like their faces have been ironed flat.

So if your subject has got a big round head and a long nose and bulgy-out eyes (like me), shooting from further away with a longer lens will be more flattering. If your subject has got flat features and a button nose, going in closer and a bit wider might suit them better. Choose a shooting distance by eye, without even looking through your viewfinder, that makes your subject's particular individual features look good, then use a focal length that lets you shoot from that distance.
Well said!

I have always tried to shoot 85mm - 135mm on portraits. I will take this advise and use it wisely on my clients with flatter facile features.
Thanks
01-19-2019, 05:26 PM   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AlwaysAl Quote

For the APS-C camera, acquired a 50-135 and that's a great lens especially for street shooting. I don't hear or read a lot about this lens but it's a gem!
Sure is. I've even shot with it cropped on the K-1 a couple of times, it's that good.

01-19-2019, 11:34 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On a 35mm film body or a full-frame DSLR, the traditional best FL for portrait use with low perspective distortion at distances best for framing a portrait, have been between 70 and 120mm for a head and shoulders shot or for a head shot. Since with an APS-C body, which will present an image size with the same lens about 1.5 greater than with a FF body, this means a 50mm lens on an APS-C body will present an image size similar to the 77mm Limited on a FF body shot at the same distance, and thus is more suited for portraiture with APS-C than it would be on a FF body.

The 50mm prime lens having an aperture of say f/1.8 will be able to reduce depth of field DOF if set at this wide-open aperture, and thus can blur the background behind the subject more, to make the subject stand out from the background better. The subject will be sharp against a more blurred background. The degree of this can be regulated by setting aperture accordingly. Lenses not having such a wide aperture setting have a reduced capability or choice in this matter. Additionally, a good 50mm lens having a fast aperture is less costly than a lens yielding a similar portrait-size image on a FF camera when shot at the same distance, and having such a wide aperture. Your 50mm f/2 should work fine, although lens quality is another matter. A lens of greater FL at the same distance and aperture also will reduce DOF due the the greater FL.

The DA 70mm f/2.4 would be very fine for this use, being that the image size equivalency would be like 105mm on a FF body, and the latest HD incarnation also has rounded aperture blades for even a smoother blur (bokeh) of the background. Of course, the FA 77mm with yet greater FL and a wider aperture of f/1.8 can blur background yet more, and has excellent bokeh, and being within the shooting distance and FL for good portraiture.

The 100mm lens is getting a bit long for best portrait results with APS-C bodies, except with subjects having a large nose, so the flattening effect could yield a more pleasing result.

Last edited by mikesbike; 01-19-2019 at 11:42 PM.
01-21-2019, 04:02 PM   #35

I just finished a shoot using the 55mm 1.4 SDM; at f4-f5.6 it was sharp enough indoors with a flash that I should see the whiskers of a mustache and the hair follicles of a beard on my model's face. She was having a bad day I guess. I also used the 77mm limited and a 30mm art. At f4 - f5.6 they were also very sharp.

For APS-C cameras, indoors I think a 30mm and a 50-55mm would be great; outdoors I would use a 55mm or 70-77mm on that format. on FF I mainly use 50mm and 85mm indoors and 70-200mm outdoors.