Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2008, 08:49 AM   #1

Cure for LBA?

Now that we are led to believe that our country is heading towards the Great Depression with talks of us possibly collapsing like the USSR (which is outrageous I thought ), I have been wondering if it caused some of us to show more restrain on our LBA? I have self re-examined about my need and I think I am good for now and this is coming from a person who has been buying a lens per month for the past year. How has all this loom and doom talk we are all hearing in the media been affecting us? If any at all?

09-29-2008, 09:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by leeak Quote
Cure for LBA?
yes, there is, find a job that puts enough in the bank so that buying lenses doesnt feel like an expense
09-29-2008, 09:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm pretty much set on my kit, with a few minor adjustments (replacing MF lenses with similar AF versions). The next major purchase for me will be a K20, hopefully before the end of the year. My job is pretty stable, so I'm not worried about losing it, so other than dealing with price increases, I'm doing ok.

Heather
09-29-2008, 09:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

It has put a damper on things - not only my own thoughts about buying, but I detect a slowdown in the PF Marketplace, so it's a bit tougher to sell things to cover new purchases. The PF Marketplace is a micro model of the macro economy, I guess!

09-29-2008, 09:24 AM   #5

There is no cure.. Trust me, I know
09-29-2008, 09:25 AM   #6

Well, I think its the responsibility of those who can afford to keep buying gear, especially new fancy gear, to keep doing so. Its good for the economy and increases the used gear offerings for the rest of us...
09-29-2008, 09:25 AM   #7
Banned

I thought the 'official' cure for LBA was to buy more lenses?

09-29-2008, 09:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mhertel Quote
There is no cure.. Trust me, I know
Sure there is, it's called marriage.
09-29-2008, 09:45 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I got all the good lenses. Then I suddenly felt no need for new ones.
09-29-2008, 10:12 AM   #10
Kei

On the plus side, a lot of collectors' item lengendary lens will change hands at less-than-insance prices. Lenes that sit in the cabinets all these years can finally be mounted on a camera and be used as intended.

I don't know...the recession/depression can be a wild card when it comes to LBA
09-29-2008, 10:31 AM   #11
Inactive Account

On the contrary, I suggest while the dollar is still worth something, buy everything you can now, or risk a devaluation causing everything to cost more, lol I kid.

My experience has been closer to what Zewrak said.

Buy or try what you think you like, then sell/trade what you don't use. Eventually you'll end up with lenses you know you use and like. Experience is the best cure for lust.
09-29-2008, 10:50 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
Sure there is, it's called marriage.
someone's whipped.....
09-29-2008, 10:53 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
Buy or try what you think you like, then sell/trade what you don't use. Eventually you'll end up with lenses you know you use and like. Experience is the best cure for lust.
Kelly's got it right. I started my journey by buying the kit lens, DA21 and FA35 and 8 months on, i have none of those lenses.
09-29-2008, 10:55 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
As far as my experience goes, there is no cure to LBA unless you quit photography and ends it all. There is always a new wave of cameras, lens coming and the discovery of old gems. All those clubs' members hibernating from new purchases will likely to continue to share great photos in the clubs, and all those non-members watch and likely droll over the details with lens that they don't yet have

It is in my thoughts that we need to manage LBA. We can't fight it easily as fighting it will make you either a saint for about few weeks and relapse into either remorse or crazy buying. I have been to various routes, hence my write up for the great needs to manage our LBA with planing, buddy system holding ourself accountable to the purchase, occasional LBA challenge testing ourselves, and the saint-less approach to buy gear at paced time as in every year instead of every month.
09-29-2008, 10:59 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
It has put a damper on things - not only my own thoughts about buying, but I detect a slowdown in the PF Marketplace, so it's a bit tougher to sell things to cover new purchases. The PF Marketplace is a micro model of the macro economy, I guess!
i'm glad i'm not the only person who's noticed this. before stuff like voigts, limiteds, *'s, 70-200 2.8's would get snapped up very quickly but now they just sit there.