Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2019, 08:31 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New Prime Acquisitions

Denizens,

I received three new prime lenses over the past few weeks to try with my astrophotography habit. (Also, an iOptron tracking mount...)

First, a Vivitar 28mm wide angle, f/2.8. It felt plasticky and not that sharp when I used it. Still, I will give it a whirl.

Better, I purchased a 28mm f/2.8 Promaster Spectrum 7 (the re-badged Sigma Super-Wide II) and its sibling, the Sigma Super-Wide II 24mm f/2.8 (photo attached). Both are lovely lenses, and I'm hoping the 24mm will provide a good balance between width and distortion, and a lightweight, but good, prime to use for tracking broader swaths of stars. For more DSOs, I will be trying my 450mm Soligor, or my 60-300 SP.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
01-16-2019, 10:52 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
Congratulations!
I'm saving to get started in astrophotography and my first step will be a tracking mount.
Have you tried the K or M 28mm f/3.5? I have both and they are sharp even wide open!
01-17-2019, 07:39 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Joule1991 Quote
Congratulations!
I'm saving to get started in astrophotography and my first step will be a tracking mount.
Have you tried the K or M 28mm f/3.5? I have both and they are sharp even wide open!
Hi Joule!

I have not tried the K or M 28mm f/3.5. It looks like the 2.8s are similarly well-regarded models. Thanks for the tip!