Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2008, 10:14 AM   #1
Igilligan

Anyone have the Cosina 55 F1.2

I am trying to get some info on this F1.2 lens... does it compare to the K 50 1.2?

Anyone use one?

09-29-2008, 10:21 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
As I recall, there were a couple of different versions of this lens made by Cosina for other companies. Porst, Cosinon, Color Reflex (another Porst according to Carpents), perhaps even another. I think James had one of these, and did post some pics, they looked good.

Here was a post with some samples I just dug up -

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/32735-cosina-55-1-1-2-a.html
09-29-2008, 10:30 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Is the Chinon the same as the Porst with the shaped rear element?
09-29-2008, 11:09 AM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Is the Chinon the same as the Porst with the shaped rear element?
Can't say from experience, personally. I've only read that these 55 and 50 1.2's were put together by Cosina for various brands, it stands to reason the optical formulas/coatings might vary slightly.

On another note, The M42 versions of these sell for a lot more than the K-mounts these days as they are sought by all camera brands users, where all the K's are basically limited to us folk.

Basically, I'd say if you can get any one of these for a price you're comfortable with, its seems a safe bet. Be sure and post pics

09-29-2008, 12:34 PM   #5

I bought one of these a few weeks ago, heard about its soft focus which I intended to make use of for portraits but have not had a chance yet.

Shot some plants in teh garden, boy is it soft

It feels well made in the hand, large steps on the aperture though 1.2 goes up to 2.0 to 2.8

Interested to know how much these lenses are worth as I have not seen any for sale apart from the one I bought.
09-29-2008, 01:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cabstar Quote
I bought one of these a few weeks ago, heard about its soft focus which I intended to make use of for portraits but have not had a chance yet.

Were you close focussing? It seems like you were. Most of these old lenses get soft at close-focus distance but are fine further away.

QuoteQuote:
It feels well made in the hand, large steps on the aperture though 1.2 goes up to 2.0 to 2.8
I have a few Cosinas, and yes, they are well made. Can't complain about IQ either.

QuoteQuote:
Interested to know how much these lenses are worth as I have not seen any for sale apart from the one I bought.
Can we ask how much you paid for it in pounds?
09-30-2008, 09:03 AM   #7
Igilligan

I would love to see some more when you can

Thanks for posting these shots. I would love to see some portraits when you get around to shooting them.

How much did you pay for this one? What kind of shape was it in?

gus

QuoteOriginally posted by cabstar Quote

09-30-2008, 09:26 AM   #8

some more pics from a Cosinon-S 55mm F1.2

I think these were taken at f4/f5.6/f8

Colors are a little off because I used some free out of date film hehehe

I can't seem to find the F1.2 pics. Will post them here when I remember where they are.

Got the lens for 30 USD or so. It was attached to a CT-4 body I think.
09-30-2008, 08:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Here's a review of the MC Revuenon 55/1.2 by Jens Roesner,

Same guy, Porst Color Reflex 55/1.2.

Confusingly, 'Revue' as well as 'Porst' are just labels like 'Sears'.

My guessing is that the Revuenon is only of one make, and that's Tomioka, though some say it is from Cosina with Tomioka design. Looks like there are copies of this lens labeled 'Cosina'. It's got a 58mm filter thread. Quite good full open and nice from f2 onwards. I guess that jake.astig uses this lens, nice film pics Jake!

The Porst has many reports about gummed up aperture blades. It's got a 55mm filter thread and 6 lenses and that makes it real soft wide open. I guess that cabstar uses this lens, distinct bokeh for sure!
Porst did have a 50mm 1.2 also (not 55mm), and that is a Fujinon in X-mount only.

Here + here are some more pics from the two lenses on K100D.

All the best, Georg (the other)
10-01-2008, 10:10 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I have this lens in a version labeled "Color Reflex MC Auto". The lenscap has the "Porst" brand on it so, yes, Color Reflex and Porst are the same thing. The finish of the lens reminds me of other Cosina lenses, so I would also think that it has been made by Cosina.

Image quality is great. This lens is quite sharp, even wide open, but there is some chromatic aberrations (green fringes on out of focus background objects) and a fair amount of coma but this is pretty usual for very fast lenses. Here are some pictures taken wide open with this lens:

All these picture have been posted previously. Sorry if you have already seen them.

Cheers!

Abbazz