Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2019, 02:48 PM   #31
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by -JW- Quote
The 60-250mm would only make sense with a teleconverter for me, would the image quality with converter be significantly better compared to the PLM 55-300mm?
Hopefully someone who's tried the 60-250 with a TC can answer that. All I know is that I struggle to see any difference between the FA*300 with a TC and just cropping the image from the same lens. OTOH, I think the DFA100 with the TC is better than just cropping - at least for macros.

That said, the 60-250+TC will make for a very flexible solution; use the TC when light is good, use just the lens when light is less good. That combo will cost quite a bit more than the 55-300, though (and it's heavier, 1240 vs 440 g).

01-24-2019, 04:21 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ok, so I kind of made up my mind and I'm forgetting about the DA 300mm for now, as it would require purchasing an additional 55-300 for flexibility of range or shipping my 50-135 from home. The latter is preferable but difficult.

I'm in for an additional body for sure, so currently looking into that.
Lens-wise it's 60-250 or 55-300.
The 60-250mm would only make sense with a teleconverter for me, would the image quality with converter be significantly better compared to the PLM 55-300mm?

Images would be used web based, with the occasional print of 50*75cm (20*30 inch).
In my experience the 60-250 plus 1.4x hd tc is superior in image quality to the basic da 55-300. The difference is noticeable at web resolution but just barely.
02-03-2019, 01:31 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is my experience:
I haven't been to Botswana or Namibia, and not to Kruger either. But I've been to Umfolozi/Hluhluwe and Addo in South Africa. To be prepared I took my 200mm f2.8 and two converters, if there should be a need to stack them. I also brought a 20-210mm zoom for casual shooting an as a backup if I were to get mugged.
The first day I put the 200mm and 2Xconverter, and off we Went to see if we could get sight of any animals. This is what I got after taking off the converter:

No kidding, this is a wild animal shot from the car. So for the rest of our stay in Hluhluwe I put on the 70-200mm instead. I know that Hluhluwe, in spite of being a big park, is more like a zoo compared to Kruger and Etosha. Just wanted to share this experience.

Kjell
02-24-2019, 05:19 AM   #34
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

an additional thought -

I always like knowledge so when planning our trips I obtain good maps and look at them as we plan the trip

[ rumor has it that maps produced by the US National Geographic Society were used to aid the military in W W II ]

the map that we took to Tanzania which covered Tanzania, Rwanda, and Burundi (National Geographic Adventure Map) - was so nice that our guide requested that we leave it with him when we left

[ this time we are taking two copies ]

also it isn't only the actual distance you will travel but the actual time it will take to get from " A " to " B " due to the relatively low speed limits.

travel at night may be illegal or discouraged:

The main Tanzanian road traffic rules:
Driving is on the left hand side.
The minimum driving age is 18 years.
Seat belts are mandatory for the driver and passengers in the front seat.
Motorcycle helmets are required for all riders.
The third-party liability insurance is required.
The permitted blood alcohol level is 0.08 %.

The speed limit in urban areas is 50 km/h (31 mph), outside urban areas – 80km/h (50 mph).

The police phone numbers are 112 and 999.

Additional information:

Every driver while operate of a motor vehicle must carry the original car registration certificate or its copy authorized by the registrar.
During the rainy season which is from the late of March to the middle of June, many roads in Tanzania are passable only with four-wheel-drive vehicles.

It is recommended to avoid driving at night as pedestrians, cyclists, and animals are common on the roads after dark; moreover, slow-moving vehicles often are traveling without lights.

Every driver must have his driver license, proof of insurance, car registration certificate; he should also get to know the local parking rules.

Driving in Tanzania

02-24-2019, 05:41 AM   #35
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Ok, so I kind of made up my mind and I'm forgetting about the DA 300mm for now, as it would require purchasing an additional 55-300 for flexibility of range or shipping my 50-135 from home. The latter is preferable but difficult.

I'm in for an additional body for sure, so currently looking into that.
Lens-wise it's 60-250 or 55-300.. . . .
We are in the midst of final planning of our 2nd trip to Aftrica, back to Tanzania, the Ngorongoro Crater - same lodge and Serengeti small tented lodge this time and a new area: Selous Game Reserve small tented lodge -

safari photography techiques sought - Page 4 - PentaxForums.com

trying to decide if I should haul a HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE so I have a " light weight " option for walking/river/lake safari

and/or a HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW along with my other gear

since I have one and I tend to go overboard, [ hopefully not literally ], with my equipment because most of our opportunities will be from a private vehicle and weight isn't a big problem

so I am seeking opinions, and since I don't leave until late July 2019, I would love to know what the OP actually takes and what his experience was like
02-24-2019, 11:11 AM   #36

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Bought the DA300 and the 55-300 afterall. A good deal came along and it was impossible to acquire the TC (is it even produced?) so the 60-250 was too short.

I'll let you know how things turn out!
02-24-2019, 11:17 AM   #37
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
It is recommended to avoid driving at night as pedestrians, cyclists, and animals are common on the roads after dark; moreover, slow-moving vehicles often are traveling without lights.
Definitely to be avoided. My wife's car (she wasn't driving) was totalled when it hit an ox cart after dark. No people were injured, but both oxen were killed. A less than perfect night's sleep followed in a nearby noisy bar and brothel.
02-24-2019, 11:54 AM   #38
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Bought the DA300 and the 55-300 afterall. A good deal came along and it was impossible to acquire the TC (is it even produced?) so the 60-250 was too short.

I'll let you know how things turn out!
yes, it is listed as being in current production:

HD Pentax-DA 1.4x AW AF Rear Converter Reviews - DA Teleconverters - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database