Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
12-31-2019, 08:15 AM   #46
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
The one that stops you getting eaten...

That is actually a valid point even if getting trampled is more likely than getting eaten. So yeah, do try to keep some distance from big game when walking in the bush.

12-31-2019, 08:45 AM   #47
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
That is actually a valid point even if getting trampled is more likely than getting eaten. So yeah, do try to keep some distance from big game when walking in the bush.
Eaten, trampled the end result is pretty similar... long focal lengths are I would suggest the order of the day.
12-31-2019, 08:59 AM   #48
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Eaten, trampled the end result is pretty similar... long focal lengths are I would suggest the order of the day.
you can be surprised how quickly some things can close a distance between you and them

and how much slower you move compared to those animals

rest assured, if you tip well, the guides will do their best to keep you ( and them ) out of danger
12-31-2019, 09:08 AM   #49
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I think there's a hierarchy there; the "Eaten by lions" tombstone outranks the "Trampled by buffalos then eaten by scavangers" one

12-31-2019, 09:13 AM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think there's a hierarchy there; the "Eaten by lions" tombstone outranks the "Trampled by buffalos then eaten by scavangers" one
The caveat being how it happened also. Eaten by Lions while trying to show off your running skills is less flattering than trampled by Buffalo while saving a group of children by pushing them into the vehicle before you...
12-31-2019, 09:23 AM   #51
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
you can be surprised how quickly some things can close a distance between you and them

rest assured, if you tip well, the guides will do their best to keep you ( and them ) out of danger
I’m sure that’s the case, that’s why you should always tip ‘em at the end of the trip.
12-31-2019, 09:31 AM   #52
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Aye but only in the fools kirkyard...

12-31-2019, 09:33 AM   #53
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, no need to tell me - I know. And a rifle bullet moves even quicker

Ah, well, your tipping well will likely help the next visitor more than it helps you, don't you think?

Unless you're of the kind that tip well on the first day with the implied promise of even more to come on the last day?
12-31-2019, 09:33 AM - 1 Like   #54
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The caveat being how it happened also.
This is where it's important to have a good agent to spin the story afterwards

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Eaten by Lions while trying to show off your running skills is less flattering than trampled by Buffalo while saving a group of children by pushing them into the vehicle before you...
Sort of. But to the first part, that's why you always make sure you're not the slowest runner in the group. Which might be why (small) children are not allowed on organised walks
12-31-2019, 09:36 AM   #55
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . Unless you're of the kind that tip well on the first day with the implied promise of even more to come on the last day?
that's the ticket

a tip doesn't always mean $

if you " tip " when you arrive ( we gave candy to the Maasi who guarded the camp at night ) when we arrived as they were going off shift

as well as our guide before we left on each drive

as well as when we got back

the word will spread trust me

and who doesn't love chocolate ?

seriously folks

unless you are extremely unlucky or stupid ( not listening to the guide qualifies as extreme stupidity ) safaris appear to be quite safe

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-31-2019 at 09:44 AM.
12-31-2019, 09:36 AM   #56
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Aye but only in the fools kirkyard...
Indeed. I'm in no hurry to go there, at least not on a permanent basis, but it does sound like the suitable final stop for me
12-31-2019, 09:40 AM - 1 Like   #57
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Indeed. I'm in no hurry to go there, at least not on a permanent basis, but it does sound like the suitable final stop for me
Certainly no comments from me on that one.
12-31-2019, 09:40 AM   #58
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

ah contraire

if you " tip " when you arrive ( we gave candy to the Maasi who guarded the camp at night

as well as our guide before we left

as well as when we got back

the word will spread trust me

and who doesn't love chocolate ?
Sure, if you return to the same place with the same people, but so far I haven't been a returning visitor to the same establishments. Maybe I'm just too stingy to risk it...
12-31-2019, 09:48 AM   #59
Pentaxian

Take a zoom. Faster reaction and often you don’t want to change lenses in dusty areas. 60-250 will work well on apsc. 500 is too long if you go for fun and for the first time.
12-31-2019, 09:48 AM   #60
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . that's why you always make sure you're not the slowest runner in the group. Which might be why (small) children are not allowed on organised walks
does that work if you run into a group of predators who turn nasty

a pride of lions ?

a group of hyenas ?