Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2019, 12:53 AM   #1

Trouble about 135mm M42: any suggestion please

Hi guys,
I'm looking for a 135mm lens, very sharp and that does not suffer from chromatic aberration. Currently I already own a tamron AP 90 2.5 with PKA ring (the one with the diaphragm transmission, to be clear) but I do not know if the TAMRON BBAR MULTI C. 135 / 2.8 ADAPTALL 2 can be the solution to what I look for. My budget limit is around 100 euros (which is why I'm not looking for autofocus, otherwise AF would be the best). I heard good things about CZJ, Petri, Takumar etc ... but the Tamron fascinates me. Tips?

01-22-2019, 01:07 AM - 3 Likes   #2

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by renix Quote
Hi guys,
I'm looking for a 135mm lens, very sharp and that does not suffer from chromatic aberration. Currently I already own a tamron AP 90 2.5 with PKA ring (the one with the diaphragm transmission, to be clear) but I do not know if the TAMRON BBAR MULTI C. 135 / 2.8 ADAPTALL 2 can be the solution to what I look for. My budget limit is around 100 euros (which is why I'm not looking for autofocus, otherwise AF would be the best). I heard good things about CZJ, Petri, Takumar etc ... but the Tamron fascinates me. Tips?
Under 100€, there's the Jupiter 37A (Юпитер 37А) which I have and like a lot, it's f/3.5. There's the Jupiter 11A which I believe to be quite sharper but is half a stop slower. The Tair (Таир) 11A is in my opinion the best but is much more expensive and have a certain amount of chromatic aberrations, but it is f/2.8 and as sharp as the two others, and offerts magnifiscent flares. You can find the jupiters between 30 and 80€/£/$ (MC jupiter 37A makes the price jump) and the tair between 80 and 135€/$/£. There's also the MC APO Telezenitar which is f/2.8 and much sharper than the Others but has no character in my opinion, and it is much more expensive. (there's one on ebay sold at 250€ nearly)

Note : all the soviet lenses with a name ending with A has a interchangeable mount shank. (T2 type, only kood ones fits though)

Note^2 : I only talk about soviet lenses because I know them quite a lot and I think they are better than their japanese equivalent for less moyen most of the time.
01-22-2019, 01:14 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

There are plenty of good options at this focal length, and quite a few within your budget. One that you might consider is the Russian Jupiter-37A 135mm f/3.5 (ideally the "MC" multi-coated version). It's a really nice, sharp lens with smooth out-of-focus rendering. Depending on condition, you could pick one of these up for around half your budget. Quite a bargain given the optical quality...

EDIT: I see @RedTurian beat me to it I'd agree that the Jupiter-11A is also well worth considering, though my personal preference is the 37A. But it's subjective... They're both very good indeed
01-22-2019, 01:24 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Russian Jupiter-37A 135mm f/3.5 (ideally the "MC" multi-coated version).
I had both lenses (I sold my latin-lettered non-mc one) and I really don't see any difference between MC and non MC version, except the price really.... Okay granted maybe the MC has a slightly better flare resistance but given the price difference I don't think it's worth the additionnal price

01-22-2019, 01:41 AM - 1 Like   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RedTurian Quote
I had both lenses (I sold my latin-lettered non-mc one) and I really don't see any difference between MC and non MC version, except the price really.... Okay granted maybe the MC has a slightly better flare resistance but given the price difference I don't think it's worth the additionnal price
I also have both. My MC copy definitely has better flare resistance, which helps with contrast in strong lighting. But I'd happily shoot with either MC or non-MC versions
01-22-2019, 01:44 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Do note that the Tamron 135mm f/2.8 is the earlier Adaptall (not Adaptall-2), which isn't fully functional with the PKA adaptor. The lens you are looking for is the 135mm f/2.5 (Model 03B).

I have several 135mm lenses and enjoy them all, but the Tamron has the advantages of close-focussing, as near as 4ft., (1.2m) and a built-in lens hood.

Enjoy
01-22-2019, 02:02 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Do note that the Tamron 135mm f/2.8 is the earlier Adaptall (not Adaptall-2), which isn't fully functional with the PKA adaptor. The lens you are looking for is the 135mm f/2.5 (Model 03B).

I have several 135mm lenses and enjoy them all, but the Tamron has the advantages of close-focussing, as near as 4ft., (1.2m) and a built-in lens hood.

Enjoy
Thanks, but close-focusing for me isn't a problem, I prefere sharpness and best CA control

01-22-2019, 04:00 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are comments everywhere suggesting it is hard to find a poor 135mm lens, personally I have more than 10 different lenses, some without coatings at all but I do not have the Tamron F2.8 version, only the aforementioned F2.5 close focus version that I like as much as any other even though it is soft at F2.5 but perhaps good enough for portraits?
My approach to old manual 135mm lenses has been a little stupid in as much as have so many more than I shall ever need to use.
The CZJ Sonnar is a good sharp lens, I have the zebra and have not noticed any CA.
The Pentacon 135mm F2.8 is not nearly as sharp but has other endearing qualities.
There are cult 135mm lenses.....CZJ 135mm F4? but I do not own anything so valuable or indeed Russian......yet.
While you are looking for one to suit, you could pick up some at very low prices experiment and maybe get lucky!

Last edited by Skodadriver; 01-22-2019 at 04:01 AM. Reason: Spelling
01-22-2019, 04:41 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are a ton of 135mm lenses, it was the most popular medium telephoto sold for film cameras.

I have the super Takumar and SMC Takumar 135/3.5 lenses, the SMC M 135/3.5 and the K135/2.5

I like the overall performance of the K135/2.5 the best but the M135/3.5 is quite a bit lighter,

On all these lenses lateral CA is not a problem for the in focus subject, but you see it in the out of focus bokeh it is not bothersome in my opinion, in the images.

You should also check out the 135mm lens club for options,
01-22-2019, 04:49 AM - 1 Like   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
. . . You should also check out the 135mm lens club for options,
135mm lens club - PentaxForums.com

some great photos can be found there

personally I am learning how to use my SMC Pentax-A 135mm F2.8 I wonder if the OP has looked under " Lenses " to find the reviews of the Pentax and third party 135mm lenses ?

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-22-2019 at 05:03 AM.
01-22-2019, 05:43 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
135mm lens club - PentaxForums.com

some great photos can be found there

personally I am learning how to use my SMC Pentax-A 135mm F2.8 I wonder if the OP has looked under " Lenses " to find the reviews of the Pentax and third party 135mm lenses ?
Yes, I've seen in third-parts lenses ... but I still have many doubts ... I really like the Russians, but I fear about chromatic aberrations. As sharpness I think they are on the same level. In the past I had a pentax (Bayonet) 3.5 and I remember suffering from a strong purple fringe ...
01-22-2019, 05:48 AM - 3 Likes   #12
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, I've seen in third-parts lenses ... but I still have many doubts ... I really like the Russians, but I fear about chromatic aberrations. As sharpness I think they are on the same level. In the past I had a pentax (Bayonet) 3.5 and I remember suffering from a strong purple fringe ...
The Jupiter-37A performs very well indeed in terms of chromatic aberrations. I don't think you could reasonably expect better performance from any vintage 135mm lens within your budget
01-22-2019, 07:05 AM - 2 Likes   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
The Jupiter-37A performs very well indeed in terms of chromatic aberrations. I don't think you could reasonably expect better performance from any vintage 135mm lens within your budget
Indeed ! I was about to say that. I "recently" posted a review of the Jupiter 37A in which I award it of a 10/10 in terms of CA control. It's my only review in which I grant such a high grade in this category. On mine I can't see any, even at 150% zoom....
01-22-2019, 07:16 AM - 2 Likes   #14

Original Poster
thank you all for your valuable advice, at this point I think I'll look for a Jupiter 37A
01-22-2019, 08:40 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Hi guys,
I have the Tamron 135 you mentioned. It's a very good lens.

Last edited by dsmithhfx; 01-22-2019 at 09:12 AM.