Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2008, 02:07 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paugie Quote
I would be proud to make any of those photos you have shown.

But I doubt if you really "want" this job or any events work.

You apparently enjoy the photography you do now too much. You may be distracted by all the other nice things you would rather photograph. Well, just a comment to maybe remind you of what you really enjoy. Weddings/Events may be just a fling.
Thank you for the comment. I am not qualified for his job as I don't have any training and the most lacking is on my experience on flash and portraits, and I like to become a strobbist when available light dictates the use of flash as a wise choice.

Another reason that I want his job is to explore into photography with some funding from the hobby as a side job.

Thanks,
Hin

10-01-2008, 02:10 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
Hi Hin! I'm about to shoot my first paid wedding on Friday night. I'm with another brand, but I was with Pentax when they hired me so......

1)I think ideally you should have BOTH the 28-75/50-135 in order to provide decent wedding coverage. This was my "dynamic duo" before I left the fold. If you could only have one, it would probably have to be the Tamron as 50mm isn't wide enough.
2)As for my go-to, I would have been completely happy with the above mentioned pair. Now I will be using everything from my Sigma 10-20mm (for really wide stuff) to my 70-200mm f/4 IS (for long stuff, this lens more or less replaced my 50-135, I'll probably use this one for the ceremony) For the "group" formals, I'll just be tossing on my 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS as it has a decent range and pretty good image quality. For the bridal/couple shots and other artistic shots, my 85mm f/1.8 should be getting good use as it has killer bokeh, similar to the 77mm Limited)

I think you did really good for your first wedding (much better than my first attempts with my *ist DS/kit lens) Also, you MUST get an external flash AND become proficient with it as it would be REALLY difficult to properly document a wedding (either inside OR outside) without one as the light rarely cooperates for us.
Thanks for your comment. I like the Sigma 10-20 but I would think it may be too slow for indoor. It seems like your gear from Pentax are better suited to Wedding. And thank you for your encouragement and the comment about the dual with Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 and DA* 50-135 f/2.8. I will be saving up the money for the DA* zoom. And your point about flash is well taken as that is one area that I really lack experience and confidence in making a shot.

Much thanks,
Hin
10-01-2008, 06:09 PM   #18
Veteran Member

The Sigma 10-20mm is not too slow if you're using a flash
10-01-2008, 07:03 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hinman, you have great technique and good eye for composition. The wedding non-flash sequence shots are great shots - and I like them all. As for using flash, I have the same problem at the beginning as I hate the "deer in the headlight" pictures (but my non-flash shots are not nearly as half as good as yours) until I know how to use manual settings and dragging the shutter. I also find that PTTL is pretty good without overblowing the exposure in the near field.

Good work and I am sure whatever you use you can always find ways to utilize the equipment to the greatest potential.

Your posts and pictures are inspiration to all beginners (including myself), thanks for posts and discussion.