Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2019, 09:33 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by leonine Quote
What about the Sony RX 10 Mk III or IV? 24-600mm range but with a 1" sensor at 20 MP. Can it yield equally good quality RAW images in the hands of a photographer compared to if the same photographer was using a Canon 50D (about 11 yrs old but working fine, by the way) with a Sigma 150-600?
I think you have it under control. It seems to me the choices are almost endless! If you have time, rent and test to see what camera, lens combo gives you the best results. You mentioned wanting to print. Try to print some of the images in the sizes you mentioned to make sure the gear you selected delivers the goods. Good luck.

01-28-2019, 01:43 PM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I intensely dislike the Sony user interface. However that is a very personal point. I wouldn't be happy with the Sony but I expect it might keep up with the Canon. Dxomark shows the Canon has a slight edge in ISO performance however the two seem very comparable. The Sony supposedly has better color depth and dynamic range.

Sony Cybershot DSC-RX10 III : Tests and Reviews - DxOMark

Canon EOS 50D : Tests and Reviews - DxOMark
I spoke to some local photographers who have shot in the Mara before. Their advice is that an APS-C sensor would be better than a 1" sensor any day if you need to print some day.

---------- Post added 01-28-19 at 01:48 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
I think you have it under control. It seems to me the choices are almost endless! If you have time, rent and test to see what camera, lens combo gives you the best results. You mentioned wanting to print. Try to print some of the images in the sizes you mentioned to make sure the gear you selected delivers the goods. Good luck.
When it is a once in a lifetime trip, and money is not infinite, it would help to come to an optimal solution with available resources and the combined wisdom of the experts on the forum :-)

If possible, I shall try to rent the final gear decided and take some prints to make sure that it works.

Thank you all for the valuable advice. Shall keep you posted on the trip.
02-03-2019, 10:53 AM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
An update.....

Came across this Pentax 645 lens adaptor for Canon EOS 50D Pentax 645 SLR Lens to Canon EOS Mount SLR Camera Body Adapter ? Fotodiox, Inc. USA.

Does anyone have any experience with this? If this works without any degradation of the image quality, I could use this adaptor for the Pentax 645 400mm lens and mount it on Canon EOS 50D. This would be a more economical option to renting out a Canon 100-400 or a 400mm prime lens.

Any views?
02-03-2019, 05:42 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
An update.....

Came across this Pentax 645 lens adaptor for Canon EOS 50D Pentax 645 SLR Lens to Canon EOS Mount SLR Camera Body Adapter ? Fotodiox, Inc. USA.

Does anyone have any experience with this? If this works without any degradation of the image quality, I could use this adaptor for the Pentax 645 400mm lens and mount it on Canon EOS 50D. This would be a more economical option to renting out a Canon 100-400 or a 400mm prime lens.

Any views?
It will be manual focus which could be a drag or be just fine. I'm unfamiliar with the Canon. How bright is the focus screen and how accurately will it focus.

02-03-2019, 09:15 PM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
Manual focus isn’t a problem for me personally. I am only concerned about drop in quality of the image as compared to not using an adaptor. Theoretically, it shouldn’t matter as there is no extra optics included by the adaptor. But maybe there are some practical considerations.
02-04-2019, 07:48 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Manual focus isn’t a problem for me personally. I am only concerned about drop in quality of the image as compared to not using an adaptor. Theoretically, it shouldn’t matter as there is no extra optics included by the adaptor. But maybe there are some practical considerations.
Given my experiences with no glass adapters on m43 I don't think you have much to worry over EXCEPT the fact that larger format lenses tend to not have the same level of optical quality as smaller lenses. The larger format is more forgiving so things that might be very minor on the native platform may show up on the smaller sensor.

Also while you may have manual focus skills - do you have them at 400mm with a crop sensor and a weak focusing screen for manual focus? My own experience is that I can use a 400mm on a manual focus film 35mm camera with a split screen and microprism collar but I struggle with a crop sensor camera with a digital matte focusing screen. The darker and smaller viewfinder and the lack of differentiation between in focus and out of focus on the typical digital screen lead to shots that LOOK good in the viewfinder or on the back LCD but then end up being slightly out of focus in 3 of 4 shots or more. My advice is to practice this and make sure you are very comfortable that you can get the results you want.
02-04-2019, 11:04 AM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
That's a very important bit of advice. Thank you. I shall practice more and get well conversant with the lens-camera combination before I venture out to the Mara.
02-04-2019, 03:22 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's a very important bit of advice. Thank you. I shall practice more and get well conversant with the lens-camera combination before I venture out to the Mara.
Good luck! I'm hoping you post photos!

02-06-2019, 09:30 AM   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you. Of course I shall post the pics :-)