Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2019, 02:37 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A repair question for Australian members

Has anyone had a SDM ( AF motor) repair done on a Pentax DA 17-70 ? if so can you tell me the cost of it please ?

I contacted CRK in one city, was told to ring a Melbourne No...did so, left message, as requested, never got an answer.

Thanks in advance folks.

01-26-2019, 04:36 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Maybe try again, I am guessing, but most will be back to work Tuesday this week. I have had nothing but good service from them on sales and camera service.

Contact Us | C.R.Kennedy Photo and Imaging

for online contact

C.R. Kennedy & Company Pty. Ltd.
(Head Office)
300 Lorimer Street, Port Melbourne,
Victoria 3207 Australia
Australia
Email: sales@crkennedy.com.au
Phone: +61 3 9823 1555
Web: crkphotoimaging.com.au
01-26-2019, 04:46 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Yes, CRK are very poor at answering email or web queries; better to phone. However, their repair service is very good. I've used them several times, and they've always done a great job.

I can't estimate the cost for this particular job. It could be something simple (e.g., the SDM motor just stuck in one position, or too much viscous grease) or something more serious (SDM motor burn-out). Even CRK probably couldn't tell you till they opened it. That early SDM implementation was pretty under-powered, so just getting stuck is a possibility.

If it turns out too expensive to repair and you're looking for a replacement, I would consider the DA 18-135 or 16-85 instead. They are better optically and have more reliable DC motors.

Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 01-26-2019 at 05:00 PM.
01-26-2019, 05:36 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm fortunate to have a CRK office in Adelaide, and I have been very happy with the face to face service I get.
I had a SDM repair done on one of my DA*16-50's and I wasn't charged at all despite the lens being bought from B&H!

01-26-2019, 06:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Yes CRK are definitely good at what they do but not so good at the communication. Phoning them (and repeat phoning) is necessary unfortunately.
01-26-2019, 07:42 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Yes, CRK are very poor at answering email or web queries; better to phone. However, their repair service is very good. I've used them several times, and they've always done a great job.

I can't estimate the cost for this particular job. It could be something simple (e.g., the SDM motor just stuck in one position, or too much viscous grease) or something more serious (SDM motor burn-out). Even CRK probably couldn't tell you till they opened it. That early SDM implementation was pretty under-powered, so just getting stuck is a possibility.

If it turns out too expensive to repair and you're looking for a replacement, I would consider the DA 18-135 or 16-85 instead. They are better optically and have more reliable DC motors.
My previous dealings with CRK have been very good (& this was a phone enquiry but got put to message). This 17-70 is one of those lenses that is really great, I know some do not like it, but this copy has been superb and I am just looking for a ball park figure help decide whether I spend the $$ and get it repaired...or not. Care to take a guess in a range? eg $100 best case - $200 worse case ?
01-26-2019, 08:01 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
Care to take a guess in a range? eg $100 best case - $200 worse case ?
I reckon that's in the ballpark. If you're in Adelaide drop it off in person to CRK on Fullarton Road. They'll send it Melbourne for you with no postage charges, and they won't proceed without giving a quote first.

01-27-2019, 03:19 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had a lens motor replaced by CRK recently and it cost $240. Service is excellent - it took a little over a week. And they guarantee the work.