Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-31-2019, 03:48 AM   #1

DA* 200mm f2.8 dormant auto-focus

Hi,

I have the DA* 200mm f2.8 which I use (but seldom) on my K3 and K1ii.
Because I use it very occasionally, I notice it takes an age (several minutes and trials in autofocus mode) to 'wake up' before it will autofocus.
This only happens only if I have not used the lens for a while, and have put on a camera body for the first time for a while.
Once it is working, it is fast and accurate, and I can change back and forth with other lenses with no further delays, but I have missed shots if I have just put onto my camera.
I seems to go into a 'dormancy' state if I don't use it for a while.
Has anyone else had this issue and what can be done to speed up the time before I can use on auto focus and not manual?

any advice would be appreciated.

Kev

01-31-2019, 05:22 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

To get the lens back into working mode again, some users report that turning the ring manually while attempting autofocusing often helps.

If the lens gets worse then it can always be converted to screwdrive.
01-31-2019, 06:41 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mine is slightly sluggish, 15 seconds to wake maybe. Hadn't gotten worse or better. I tested it converted and it worked great but the delayed wake up isn't too annoying for me so I converted it back to sdm.
01-31-2019, 07:10 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Mine seems to have developed an aversion to cold weather.... I'm thinking of sending it in for cleaning.

01-31-2019, 07:39 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Mine seems to have developed an aversion to cold weather.... I'm thinking of sending it in for cleaning.
How are you doing up there in Algonquin Park during this polar vortex?!
01-31-2019, 07:42 AM   #6
Pentaxian

We heat with wood and I couldn't be bothered getting up last night to refuel. The temperature when I got up was 11ºC. It looks like we might have to start using some electric heat.
01-31-2019, 10:17 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We may never know the mystery of SDM. For example, my DA*200 never has such symptom - it always is ready to go and pure silent. But my DA 17-70 isn't so. Others apparently have the same symptom described by OP. For this mystery's sake, I don't trust these DA-era SDM lenses because we're at risk, or at luck.

01-31-2019, 10:23 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hyyz Quote
We may never know the mystery of SDM. For example, my DA*200 never has such symptom - it always is ready to go and pure silent. But my DA 17-70 isn't so. Others apparently have the same symptom described by OP. For this mystery's sake, I don't trust these DA-era SDM lenses because we're at risk, or at luck.
There's something making a scraping sound in mine sometimes and the quick shift stops working when the AF stops working, so I definitely have a mechanical problem.
01-31-2019, 12:16 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My DA* 200 and DA 17-70 have never had an issue.

My DA* 50-135 I purchased used with the knowledge the SDM had to be "woke up" if it had been sitting for a while. It's been that way since I purchased it about 2 years ago and has never changed. I've tried manually focusing, switching between AF and MF, and it really doesn't change that it just takes a few moments to get started.

I'm thinking of sending it in to be looked at and cleaned, just haven't done it yet.
01-31-2019, 04:13 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
We heat with wood and I couldn't be bothered getting up last night to refuel. The temperature when I got up was 11ºC. It looks like we might have to start using some electric heat.
BRRRRRR! I am in the process of refurbing an older wood stove and getting it ready to install. I wish I had found it earlier in the year! But to be fair - much much warmer here. In our house during a recent power failure we got down to the 50's (F) inside and then I started using my propane buddy indoor heater and got it back to about 60. That was enough to keep us comfortable enough but my kids and wife like it warmer.
02-01-2019, 01:44 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hyyz Quote
Same here! Both my DA 17-70 and DA*200 showed some hesitancy to autofocus when they have been sitting around for a few days or weeks. The DA*200 hesitancy lasts only a few seconds when I press either the shutter release or the AF button on the first picture. Then it works fine. As others have noted the DA 17-70 was much worse and mine eventually would not wake up and stopped working. I was preparing to send it for repair but now I am leaning toward putting that money toward getting the DA*11-18. I also have a DA*300 and it does not have any wake up issues. Its autofocus works right away. Since it is a newer lens (2016) versus my DA 17-70 (2010) and DA* 200 (2012)it seems to me the autofocus latency/hesitancy/wake-up issues mainly affects older versions of the DA SDM lenses. My DA 16-85 and 55-300 PLM have no autofocus hesitancy/wake-up issue no matter how long they sit unused.
02-01-2019, 02:01 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
Same here! Both my DA 17-70 and DA*200 showed some hesitancy to autofocus when they have been sitting around for a few days or weeks. The DA*200 hesitancy lasts only a few seconds when I press either the shutter release or the AF button on the first picture. Then it works fine. As others have noted the DA 17-70 was much worse and mine eventually would not wake up and stopped working. I was preparing to send it for repair but now I am leaning toward putting that money toward getting the DA*11-18. I also have a DA*300 and it does not have any wake up issues. Its autofocus works right away. Since it is a newer lens (2016) versus my DA 17-70 (2010) and DA* 200 (2012)it seems to me the autofocus latency/hesitancy/wake-up issues mainly affects older versions of the DA SDM lenses. My DA 16-85 and 55-300 PLM have no autofocus hesitancy/wake-up issue no matter how long they sit unused.
My DA* 200 is similar. Sluggish to focus the very first time for about 1-2 seconds and a couple of shutter half-presses when woken - time isn't much of a factor as long as it has been at least a day. It doesn't get worse over time. I have converted it a few times but there's not much reason not to use it as is for now so I convert it back. Someday I may convert it and leave it converted.
02-01-2019, 03:40 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It really is hit or miss with older SDM lenses. My 17-70 is an early version and has never even had a hiccup. My DA*200 a late version and works perfectly, but my 50-135 is a mid version and continues to need waking up.