Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 46 Likes Search this Thread
01-31-2019, 07:02 AM - 6 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Revamped lenses? Yep but with at least WR and rounded iris!

Hi,

short sentence: PENTAX, please, putting on the maket revamped lenses is a good idea but please at least with WR and rounded iris, maybe also Quick Shift. Please.

Thank you

01-31-2019, 09:01 AM   #2

Yeah, it's really a shame. I would be very likely to pick up the new 35 f2 even if it just had WR, but as is I do not see a reason for add it to my kit.

The K1 really needs some small WR primes. I love the system with the FA limiteds for travel, but I would love to see something like Fuji's F2 WR series (which honestly rather tempt me for travel kit, but I hate maintaining multiple systems and prefer FF).
01-31-2019, 09:25 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Assuming you are referring to the new HD Pentax FA 35/2, the short answer to the WR and quick shift parts is that the new lens is not D FA, hence, no WR or quick shift. As for the rounded iris, the refreshed lens carries over the curved blades from the FA 35/2 with the same count. Unfortunately, six blades are six blades and eight or more are usually required for a more rounded iris.

As an owner of the previous FA 35/2, I applaud the refreshed model*, primarily because the modification to the focus grip should provide a much needed improvement to manual focus ergonomics. As for the coatings, the previous version's were excellent and the new version's appear to be just so much better.

Steve

* Obviously not a new or revamped lens as such. A simple side-by-side comparison with the previous model makes that obvious.

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-31-2019 at 12:31 PM.
01-31-2019, 10:10 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I think the main justification for the new FA 35mm is price. All the fancy new features would be nice, but I'm sure there will be a 35mm F1.4 (or something similar) coming out in the not so distant future to deliver that.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-31-2019, 11:21 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I welcome this new lens. It gets a prime lens back on the market with updated coatings (and focus ring grip). The price is key here, they are not trying to claim it is something other than what it is. Good quality lens design will not go out of fashion. We have seen many requests on this forum for a revamp of the old classic lenses and so here we have one. I have seen disparaging comments on other forums about it, but if I wanted a lightweight quality 35mm prime with modern coatings I would buy it in a flash. The aperture ring also means that someone who uses film too would be interested.

As Adam says there is another 35mm in the pipeline, but that will be at least three times the cost of this.

It would not make sense to try and tweak the design of the HD FA 35mm f2.0 by changing aperture blades or adding weather sealing. Once you go down that route you are creating a whole new design for which the price point would be very difficult to achieve. Would folk pay $1000/£1000 for the lens with the same optical formular but in a more modern housing, probably not.

Last edited by pschlute; 01-31-2019 at 03:03 PM.
01-31-2019, 11:39 AM - 3 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think what is causing all gnashing of teeth in other threads is that this is being thought of as a 'new' lens. it isn't. Same 35 f/2 but updated with new coatings. They ran out of old stock 35 f/2 and needed more to meet demand. I'm not sure they have the equipment for the old coatings anymore and even if so why would they? At small investment they produce a new run of a nice looking, relatively inexpensive 35mm lens that has proven a solid performer for years. It's FA not D FA. Just a refresh of the same design. I have no need or budget for a huge $1,200 - $1,500 D FA* 35mm f/1.4 but I very well might buy a 35mm f/2 that is small and light.
01-31-2019, 11:46 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I think what is causing all gnashing of teeth in other threads is that this is being thought of as a 'new' lens. it isn't. Same 35 f/2 but updated with new coatings.
Yes, and priced accordingly.

Lets see how the gnashing goes if they do the same for the FA Ltd's !!!

01-31-2019, 12:11 PM - 7 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I stated in another thread, 35mm isn't one I tend to use, so I won't likely purchase this one. But I applaud Pentax/Ricoh for bringing this out. There's absolutely nothing wrong with re-introducing a good piece of glass with a price that is accordingly matched. I personally hope they put an entire line out of revamped FA lenses, 28-35-50 and even a 135. There's nothing wrong with having options.

People complain about lack of lenses, then complain about lenses that are produced. SMH
01-31-2019, 12:45 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I couldn't agree more with twilhelm above. I still shoot with my Pentax LX and ME Super film cameras and if I head off on a photo trip, more often than not I have both my Pentax digital and film with me. As such, I have a carefully curated selection of lenses that I can use on both. That means having an aperture ring. Obviously it doesn't always work (especially ultra-wide) but more often than not I can make it do. In addition to a nearly complete collection of M lenses, I have the FA28, FA35 and an FA50 that see the majority of use. I probably will not buy the "new" 35, but would certainly welcome a careful re-introduction of the FA prime set. If Ricoh/Pentax do so, I might be included to upgrade several of my FA's to the re-vamped lenses.
01-31-2019, 01:14 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One thing I found interesting was Pentax mentioned film shooters in the release of the FA35. We all consider Pentax a “niche” brand and what better niche to include than us film shooters!
01-31-2019, 01:18 PM - 1 Like   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll add my voice to those who are supportive of the slightly-refreshed 35/2 model.

I've wanted the old FA35/2 for some time now, but it has been prohibitively expensive in the UK (why, I don't know), and used examples don't crop up that frequently - which only made me want one more, since people obviously tend to keep them once they've bought them

With the HD FA35/2, we're getting a really nice upgrade with the HD and SP coatings. Those will improve flare performance and durability, as well as - I would guess - adding a little extra contrast (I say this based on my experience of my HD DA Limiteds compared to my FA50/1.4). The improved, raised texture of the focusing ring is also a welcome improvement, as the untextured ring of the FA35/2 and FA50/1.4 isn't ideal. Finally, the mildly-textured finish of the body parts is less likely to show up scratches and wear. Not an important consideration in functional terms, of course, but a nice touch for those who intend to use the lens in anger. Plus, the overall look is a little more in line with recent Pentax bodies and lenses.

So the improvements, whilst relatively modest, are significant. But the best part is price... When you consider what you get for US$399 / GBP £399, it's an awful lot of lens for the money.
01-31-2019, 01:20 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Don‘t waste time on non-roadmap lenses. 2/35 is nice to have, but developer time is better spent on new designs.
01-31-2019, 02:02 PM - 3 Likes   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Don‘t waste time on non-roadmap lenses. 2/35 is nice to have, but developer time is better spent on new designs.
I’m pretty sure part of the reason for this lens is there was little developer time needed. I’m sure the developers are constantly working on something, this gives us another tool with little time taken from bigger projects.
01-31-2019, 02:21 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
To be more specific, I own the FA 35. It's a nice lens with only pros. I also applaude the revamped lenses trend but no WR and 6 blades not rounded is very anachronistic. I'm happy if many will buy this lens and if with lens the lineup is more complete but I will not do the switch.
01-31-2019, 02:36 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
The 35/2 refresh might not have distracted developers. I suspect Ricoh had some idle manufacturing resources waiting for a bigger project (many of the roadmapped lenses seem to be behind schedule), and this 35/2 fills the gap.

Personally, I would have preferred an FA 20 refresh first, since we can still buy new copies of the original FA 35, yet the FA 20 has been out of stock for a long time.