Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2019, 02:40 PM - 1 Like   #16
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
To be more specific, I own the FA 35. It's a nice lens with only pros. I also applaude the revamped lenses trend but no WR and 6 blades not rounded is very anachronistic. I'm happy if many will buy this lens and if with lens the lineup is more complete but I will not do the switch.
I doubt the lens is aimed at existing FA35/2 owners. Whilst the upgrades are undoubtedly worthwhile, they're not enough to warrant switching. But for those who don't own the older modeal and are looking for a reasonably fast lens at this focal length, whether for full frame or (in my case) APS-C, it's a very sensibly priced option with a reputable heritage...

01-31-2019, 02:49 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Both new lenses are on the official Ricoh K-mount charts now:

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/japan/products/lens/images/K_Mount_Lens.pdf
01-31-2019, 03:13 PM - 4 Likes   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
I also applaude the revamped lenses trend but no WR and 6 blades not rounded is very anachronistic
I disagree with you here. Pentax can either produce:

1 a brand new 35mm with different blades and weather sealing and electronic aperture and focus motor (which is in the pipeline).

2. Nothing at present

3. A revamp of an old model with updated coatings at a low price.

What they cannot do is produce a "revamp" of the 35mm f2 and add features like weather sealing aperture blade changes. This would be a new model, requiring total redesign. The development team would say "get in the queue", and the management team would say "we need to sell that for $1000 +"
01-31-2019, 03:47 PM - 1 Like   #19
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
The development team would say "get in the queue", and the management team would say "we need to sell that for $1000 +"
I think that's the key point here. We can have a US$399 lens with new coatings and new clothes now, or we can wait many months (years?) more and have an $800 - $1000+ lens with improved structural and mechanical features on top of that. I'm sure there'd be willing buyers for both options, but the the HD FA35/2 offers a nice value-for-money option...

01-31-2019, 03:58 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Quite pleased to see this lens. January isn't over, and we've got two nice new additions to the lineup. I can't shell out another grand for a lens at this point in time, but I could put this on the short list, and the new coatings and ergonomics give it appeal that the older version doesn't. I understand the desires for modern glass added to the lineup, and I guess I'm confident enough that these new lenses will come to be happy seeing this now. I do also think it helps move Pentax to being more competitive (whatever that means) with the other "big" makers when people survey the range of lenses available. People do complain about not having enough choices, and this helps that in a very classic and useful focal length.
01-31-2019, 04:21 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

I am also pleased to see this lens revamped, I own the original version and I love it, its good to see pentax bringing it in a new era. Of course they could ad wr and more iris blades and quick shift and even a dc motor, but the size wouldn't be the same, and I think its size is a big part of its character. I like the tiny touches they have made.
There's one thing I don't like though, the shrinked logo on the hood. The big bold pentax logo/writing has always caught my attention as a bold statement prom pentax "this is us, we dont bs!", but apparently the people at Ricoh have other visual orientations.
01-31-2019, 04:34 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If they're going down this route, the old FA 50mm f/1.4 ought to be refreshed as well. The D FA* 50mm is too expensive and too large/heavy for many, and a cheaper alternative would be a good idea. The optical performance of that lens is very good overall, though certainly not at the level the new 50 delivers. Doing the same they did here—updating the coatings and modernizing the exterior design, while keeping the lens mechanically and optically identical otherwise, down to the screwdrive AF, should be enough to get them to sell more of the classic 50 without cannibalizing sales of their new pro-grade prime lens.

Draco

01-31-2019, 04:54 PM   #23
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bwDraco Quote
If they're going down this route, the old FA 50mm f/1.4 ought to be refreshed as well. The D FA* 50mm is too expensive and too large/heavy for many, and a cheaper alternative would be a good idea. The optical performance of that lens is very good overall, though certainly not at the level the new 50 delivers. Doing the same they did here—updating the coatings and modernizing the exterior design, while keeping the lens mechanically and optically identical otherwise, down to the screwdrive AF, should be enough to get them to sell more of the classic 50 without cannibalizing sales of their new pro-grade prime lens.

Draco
Given the update to the FA35/2, I'd be surprised if that didn't happen. I think it might sell quite well, too. I probably wouldn't buy it myself, as I already own the FA50/1.4... But if I didn't, I might strongly consider an updated version...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-31-2019 at 05:21 PM.
01-31-2019, 05:20 PM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Draco
I think it would be a great idea also. But more importantly, by looking at the existing lens line-up and road map, a revamp of one of the 20ish FA lenses is really needed. In the current line-up, the FA31 is the widest prime lens.
01-31-2019, 05:29 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
The 35/2 refresh might not have distracted developers. I suspect Ricoh had some idle manufacturing resources waiting for a bigger project (many of the roadmapped lenses seem to be behind schedule), and this 35/2 fills the gap.

Personally, I would have preferred an FA 20 refresh first, since we can still buy new copies of the original FA 35, yet the FA 20 has been out of stock for a long time.
Agreed on the FA20. I'd buy that one immediately upon release!
01-31-2019, 06:11 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another vote for a redone FA20.
01-31-2019, 06:18 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Another vote for a redone FA20.
Here! Here!

Steve
01-31-2019, 06:28 PM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Draco
I think this could happen when the warehouses run out of the FA50.

I agree with Monochrome, I think that's how this FA35 with new coatings has come about.

They ran out, it was agreed a new production run would go ahead, but with different coatings.

Very similar to the K-1. Looks like the K-1 is no longer made, they're all K-1 II (with coprocessor added in).
01-31-2019, 09:06 PM - 1 Like   #29
Veteran Member

As I have mentioned in other threads... It is relatively fast and not too big... I am awaiting for the D FA * wide angle but for the next few years this will be great. My pre-order is in and I can’t wait to try it on my K1 II.
02-01-2019, 04:56 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Here! Here!

Steve
Me! Me!