Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2019, 03:29 AM   #1

Mitakon

Hello, what's the difference between the Mitakon 135 2.8 v1 and v2 lenses?
Did someone have the ability to begin?

Thank you

02-01-2019, 04:15 AM - 1 Like   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Prophet70 Quote

Thank you
Is this one of the lenses you are asking about?

Mitakon Creator 135mm F2.8 Mark II

have you seen this user review?

Description:
A fast F2.8 135mm manual focus telephoto lens covering the 24x36mm full-frame format. The optical design includes one extra-low dispersion element with the purpose of reducing chromatic aberrations. The lens features a metal barrel and a retractable lens hood.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/mitakon-creator-135mm-f28-mark-ii.html#ixzz5eHFSykUN
02-01-2019, 06:10 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you for your response

Yes, I am asking about this particular lens, specifically the differences between the versions.
02-01-2019, 11:10 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Thank you

As someone who loves 135mm lenses, I've also wondered about this Mitakon.
It appears the optical layouts differ. Version 2 has 6 elements in 6 groups, and version 1 had 5 elements in 4 groups.

Version 2 at B&H:

Mitakon Zhongyi Creator 135mm f/2.8 Mark II Lens MTK135M2BKFEF

And here's a review of version 1 (?) :
Mitakon CREATOR 135mm f/2.8 Review

The reviewer recommends the lens, but assembly quality was poor on his copy.

02-01-2019, 11:42 AM   #5

Original Poster
Hello, thank you for the links

Both reviews relate to the v2 version
02-01-2019, 11:56 AM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

are you sure?

as noted by .at. the descriptions of the two lenses are different, here are more details:

The optical formula is simple: 5 elements in 4 groups, with one low dispersion to keep aberrations in control.

A bright telephoto prime featuring an updated optical design, the Creator 135mm f/2.8 Mark II Lens from Mitakon Zhongyi is compatible with Pentax K mount full-frame and APS-C-format DSLRs. One extra-low dispersion element is incorporated within the design, and helps to markedly reduce chromatic aberrations for increased clarity, sharpness, and color accuracy when photographing in strong lighting conditions. The f/2.8 maximum aperture also benefits working in difficult lighting and also affords greater control over depth of field for using selective focus techniques.

One extra-low dispersion element is incorporated within the six elements, six groups design, and helps to reduce chromatic aberrations for sharper, clearer image quality.

Mitakon Zhongyi Creator 135mm f/2.8 Mark II Lens MTK135M2BKFPK
02-01-2019, 12:40 PM   #7

Original Poster
I think so...

it is v1

it is v2

02-01-2019, 01:04 PM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

you are correct, the photos are the same lens
02-01-2019, 01:48 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello, thank you for the links

Both reviews relate to the v2 version

I guess you know much more about them than I, Prophet70!
Perhaps you could email Mitakon for some answers?

For what it's worth, in my limited experience I've found only minimal differences in performance from different generations of the same 135mm lens.

Super-Multi-Coated TAKUMAR/Super-Takumar 135mm F2.5 Reviews - M42 Screwmount Telephoto Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Vivitar (komine) Auto Telephoto 135mm F2.8 Lens Reviews - Vivitar Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Having tried both the 5 & 6 element S-M-C Takumar 135 f/2.5s and the 5 & 4 element Vivitar 135 f/2.8s, I can say my modestly skilled eyes see very little difference between the results from the older and newer versions.
They're all capable of taking beautiful pictures and I think the Mitakons will too - along with the benefit of fewer aberrations than the Takumars and Vivitars would show.

[@aslyfox, I appreciate your helpful spirit]

Last edited by .a.t.; 02-01-2019 at 09:20 PM. Reason: typographical misappropriation
02-01-2019, 02:34 PM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I try to help

and I do like my SMC Pentax-A 135mm F2.8

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-A-135mm-F2.8-Lens.html

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-01-2019 at 02:56 PM.
02-01-2019, 03:14 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't understand the difficulty. The mark II has revised optical design with an additional ED element, intended to reduce chromatic aberrations.

I do not see any side-by-side tests to confirm how much of an effect that has, but that is the difference between them.
02-02-2019, 02:04 AM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks for comments

.a.t. I do not know anything about them, except that they look different

I mean price from the practical side.
02-02-2019, 04:43 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by .a.t. Quote
As someone who loves 135mm lenses, I've also wondered about this Mitakon.
It appears the optical layouts differ. Version 2 has 6 elements in 6 groups, and version 1 had 5 elements in 4 groups.

Version 2 at B&H:

Mitakon Zhongyi Creator 135mm f/2.8 Mark II Lens MTK135M2BKFEF

And here's a review of version 1 (?) :

The reviewer recommends the lens, but assembly quality was poor on his copy.
I'm surprised the reviewer found the assembly quality to be poor. I have the Creator 135 and 35 and was surprised how good the build quality is with all metal construction and a very robust appearance and feel, especially considering the very low prices.

These were purchased a few months ago from B&H and I'm not sure if the 135 is a Mark II. It doesn't say Mark II anywhere on it or on the box and comparing it to the two photos above, the markings on the barrel seem the same but on the front of the lens it says Zhongyi Creator instead of Mitakon Creator. I really would like to know if the 135 is the Mark ll or not since I plan to sell these because I've decided to go with AF and not because I found any problems with build quality. Although I've done photography for many years I've have had little experience with manual lenses and purchasing these was an inexpensive experiment for some experience with manuals.
02-02-2019, 10:50 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for comments

.a.t. I do not know anything about them, except that they look different

I mean price from the practical side.

You're welcome.

Okay, I understand. I hope you'll find the information you seek.

QuoteOriginally posted by wanderer2 Quote
. . .
I really would like to know if the 135 is the Mark ll or not since I plan to sell these because I've decided to go with AF and not because I found any problems with build quality. . .

Since you bought your lens so recently, I'd guess it's a Mark II. Have you compared yours to the current B&H listing?
Mitakon Zhongyi Creator 135mm f/2.8 Mark II Lens MTK135M2BKFPK
02-02-2019, 12:15 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wanderer2 Quote
I'm surprised the reviewer found the assembly quality to be poor. I have the Creator 135 and 35 and was surprised how good the build quality is with all metal construction and a very robust appearance and feel, especially considering the very low prices.

These were purchased a few months ago from B&H and I'm not sure if the 135 is a Mark II. It doesn't say Mark II anywhere on it or on the box and comparing it to the two photos above, the markings on the barrel seem the same but on the front of the lens it says Zhongyi Creator instead of Mitakon Creator. I really would like to know if the 135 is the Mark ll or not since I plan to sell these because I've decided to go with AF and not because I found any problems with build quality. Although I've done photography for many years I've have had little experience with manual lenses and purchasing these was an inexpensive experiment for some experience with manuals.

Upload a photo of your lens.

---------- Post added 02-02-19 at 12:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by .a.t. Quote
You're welcome.

Okay, I understand. I hope you'll find the information you seek.

Thank you