Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 24 Likes Search this Thread
02-02-2019, 07:07 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's a very good comparison of each lens, Wild Mark.

02-02-2019, 07:41 AM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by mtl_pentaxian Quote
Pentax-M 28mm f/2.8 (first version, with silver decorative ring) is excellent stopped down to f/11. The second version (without silver ring) is excellent at f/8.
I found the first version really poor. It may have been my copy but my 18-135 was much sharper at equivalent apertures.
02-02-2019, 08:43 AM   #33

Original Poster
Thank you very much for your answers !!
It really help me and more with comparisons of the different Smc 28mm

The choice is so so hard. Maybe I will take Smc k 28mm f3.5 because it will be the safest in time to be happy. I think that if i take a Kiron it will be the A one to not have mechanical problems but the price of the bargain is same of te Smc ...
But maybe the smc F 28mm f2.8 but seem to be less under ...

On the photos of Wild Mark, the differences are at the same time not important and ... important with a long utilization ... but depend also of the photographer lol
Do the smc k 30mm f2.8 is up to its reputation and can represent an alternative to k 28 f2 ? or k28f3.5 ?

Thank you very much again.

02-02-2019, 09:04 AM - 1 Like   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
They probably aren’t good investments at all, just great lenses.

Most of the K primes have dropped to lunch money prices the last couple years. I hectored J. Colwell years ago to get my hands on his K35/3.5 but he wouldn’t let go of it. I won’t admit what I eventually paid for the copy I use, but I recently acquired a NOS copy still in the plastic, in the case, in the box, for $99.

It takes a certain breed of cat to appreciate K primes.
Yes, good point, from a financial perspective not a good investment. Many lenses are really a bargain these days. In the late '80s and early 90's when I started having money to buy camera equipment I was paying similar or higher prices for similar lenses both new and used. The ones I have sold I feel like I have given them away. Adding inflation into the mix really camera equipment in general is a bargain these days. But from a "buy a lens that you will love and never want to get rid of" it may be a good investment. For us folks that like vintage manual prime lenses it seems that most really like the K primes.

And I will own up to being a special breed of cat

Last edited by KC0PET; 02-02-2019 at 09:10 AM.
02-02-2019, 09:16 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chapolin Quote
Do the smc k 30mm f2.8 is up to its reputation and can represent an alternative to k 28 f2 ? or k28f3.5 ?
It's very sharp (although disappointing when reversed for macro), smaller than the other two in your list. Quite a bit more expensive than the 28/3.5, I think mainly because it relatively rare (as opposed to the K28/2, which is rare and expensive because it was a costly lens to produce in the first place). Is it worth the price premium compared to the 28/3.5? Probably not, unless the smaller size and slightly faster maximum aperture are important to you.
02-02-2019, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JVi Quote
Thank you so much for the comparison images.
I took a look at these in some detail and my impressions are:
1. The K 28 2 has the best bokeh wide open. The out of focus areas are smooth and not 'pixelated' in appearance.
2. The central sharpness at f11 is ~ the same across the board without disceranable differences (I have one eye that is at 15/20 still).
3. All showed chromatic aberrations (fringing) when wide open at the high contrast areas where the sea spray meets the land, however, the K 28 2 and K 28 3.5 have much less than the A a M lenses (the A seems to have the most fringing).
Spot on! The K28/2 has almost no fringing. The K28/3.5 has a little and also has a noticeable pentax 'purplish cast'. The A and M 28/2 do exhibit more fringing - definitely, the M being worse than the A. This is why I feel the M28/2 is not as good as the K28/3.5 despite its bokeh benefit wide open and is why I rate the A28/2 a notch above the K28/3.5. Of course, the K28/2 is in a class of its own (and paying the price for one is indeed necessary).

---------- Post added 03-02-19 at 08:47 AM ----------

I can go back to the same spot if you like and check the result of the K30/2.8. Many say the K30/2.8 is the poor mans FA31/1.8. I feel that is a fair label too (and I have read somewhere in unsubstantiated chit chat that the K30/2.8 was the precursor to the FA31/1.8).
02-02-2019, 05:51 PM   #37

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
The K28/3.5 has a little and also has a noticeable pentax 'purplish cast'

I seen very carefully all your f11 photos comparative and I see a lot the 'purplish cast K28/3.5, other users do not think it is too much ? I am affraid with that thing if i buy this lens ...

I can go back to the same spot if you like and check the result of the K30/2.8.

yes thank you very much in advance if you can do that !

02-02-2019, 07:39 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Don't forget the Ricoh Rikenon XR 28 2.8. It's usually quite cheap. But Pentax forum members know quality when they see it.Ricoh 28mm F2.8 Rikenon XR Lens Reviews - Ricoh Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database.
02-02-2019, 11:50 PM   #39
Veteran Member

I seen very carefully all your f11 photos comparative and I see a lot the 'purplish cast K28/3.5, other users do not think it is too much ? I am affraid with that thing if i buy this lens ...

yes thank you very much in advance if you can do that !
The K28/3.5 saturates very well and generally better than most other lenses. The purplish cast is a classic Pentax signature. Many of Pentax lenses give this purplish cast - it is just a Pentax thing. You can dial down the amount of this in two ways - in camera modifications to the jpg settings or post processing.

Regarding the K30/2.8 - a task for tomorrow afternoon. Just got back from an outing and now settling in for the evening
02-03-2019, 02:50 AM   #40

Original Poster
The K28/3.5 has a little and also has a noticeable pentax 'purplish cast'
I have looked carefully side by side all your f11 photos and I see the 'purplish cast' strongly and I do not found it with the other 28 on yours photos ... It is always like that with the K28/3.5 ? It is not a problem for the users or it is a thing that they like ?

I can go back to the same spot if you like and check the result of the K30/2.8.

Yes thank you very much in advance if you can do that and it will not take too much of your time. I really hesitate to choose the k30, even if it can be a lot of money. I need a 28mm because I will make some photo in the sky with my paramotor. I will shoot in hyper-focal (I do not know if it is the good term in English), but I think that the 30mm is not far of the 28mm in term of angle.

Ps I posted this message yesterday but I had a problem with the interface
02-03-2019, 03:06 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Yes thank you very much in advance if you can do that and it will not take too much of your time. I really hesitate to choose the k30, even if it can be a lot of money. I need a 28mm because I will make some photo in the sky with my paramotor. I will shoot in hyper-focal (I do not know if it is the good term in English), but I think that the 30mm is not far of the 28mm in term of angle.
If you are shooting night skies then you will need a faster lens and possibly wider than 28mm. You might do better with the K24mm f2.8 if funds are tight.

I have looked carefully side by side all your f11 photos and I see the 'purplish cast' strongly and I do not found it with the other 28 on yours photos ... It is always like that with the K28/3.5 ?
I have a few copies of the K28/3.5 - I can test these and see if there is a trend or if it is my personal copy.

---------- Post added 03-02-19 at 09:12 PM ----------

I need a 28mm because I will make some photo in the sky with my paramotor
Ok, not night skies, Paramotor is a flying gadget. Sounds like fun.
02-03-2019, 03:53 AM   #42
Pentaxian

A 28mm f/2 will be generally more useful that an f/3.5 because of the extra speed. The image quality of the K 28/3.5 is exceptional and the third-party f/2s don't have that touch of magic but they be more flexible in use.

If it's just for landscapes and you're sure you really won't need the extra speed the K is a better choice. But for general use I'd go for the f/2.
02-03-2019, 04:17 AM - 1 Like   #43

Original Poster
If you are shooting night skies
Yes I want also to shoot at the end of the day but it will be not the priority. Last week I founded a A24mm f2.8 in Ebay for 130€ but I missed it, it had stay only 2 or 3 hours before someone buy it ...

Paramotor is a flying gadget. Sounds like fun.
I do not want also to make photos with my paramotor but generally I make a lot of photos in the sky.

Here you can see with a gopro one of my fly the last summer :

I took a lot of photos with my 18-135 but I think I can make better with a f28f2.8, K30, A28f2 or k28f3.5 shooting in hyperfocal (I think it is not possible or very hard to focus manually while driving at the same time)

Now I really hesitate with the k28f3.5 because it is cheaper solution but I am afraid with 'purplish cast' color. If it turned out I will prefer the other solutions more expensive ...
02-03-2019, 05:55 AM   #44

Original Poster
I founded an interesting photo :

Pentax M28 vs. K30 | Same scene, uncropped, tripod mounted, ? | Flickr
02-03-2019, 06:36 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
If you decide on the Kiron or Vivitar equivalent, be sure the aperture is clean and in good working order. Sticky blades are common.

Steve
My experience exactly, both my 24/2 and 28/2 are sticky

---------- Post added 02-03-19 at 08:40 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
is that true only for those lenses or is that something to be careful about with other vintage lenses ?
I'm sure it is a common issue, but I have about 50 vintage lenses, and of these one super tak 135/3.5 and my two newer kiron 24/2 and 28/2 are the only ones with sticky blades. When you consider the population I have the kiron seem much more prone to the issue